• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmeis

Reaction score
My preordered rubber strap for my Explorer II from Everest Bands came in yesterday. I opted for the buckle tang version over the one meant to go with the oyster clasp as I didn't want to deal with removing the clasp off the bracelet. While the band and buckle look very nice, I think this was a mistake. The buckle has a relatively sharp edge that was noticeable where it contacted the wrist. How a design that seems well thought out in every other regard could have overlooked the issue with having a hard exposed edge in direct context with the wearers wrist is somewhat mind boggling.

Now I'll admit that maybe I'm being a bit sensitive and I do have issues with bands that are not fitting right driving me nuts, but it just seems like an oversight. I'm going to give it a go for a couple more days and see if I can get used to it, but I think I'll end up passing it on. (Or I guess I could source a different buckle if I decide I like the look overall with the watch, just seems silly I should have to)

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit - what's a "Candian tuxedo"? Is that a euphemism (like a 'Glasgow kiss')?

It’s just another term for an outfit that consists of a denim shirt and denim pants or, basically, the denim on denim trend. As to how it got named the 'Canadian tuxedo', I don't have a clue! However, as much as it is generally used in a negative connotation, I still find some pretty sexy applications of this term.

I would guess the proper watch to be used with a Canadian tuxedo is no watch, just like in it's black tie counterpart.
bigstar[1].gif

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely off-topic, but I noticed there's a lot of Canadian presence in the TWAT!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
I would encourage everyone to join the CWC forum for Canadian collectors. Not as much traffic as other sites but great to buy and sell in Canada. You have to join to see all the pages. http://canwatchco.ca/forum.php
Completely off-topic, but I noticed there's a lot of Canadian presence in the TWAT!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
So... what's the correct watch with a Canadian tuxedo?
Seiko 5?
My preordered rubber strap for my Explorer II from Everest Bands came in yesterday. I opted for the buckle tang version over the one meant to go with the oyster clasp as I didn't want to deal with removing the clasp off the bracelet. While the band and buckle look very nice, I think this was a mistake. The buckle has a relatively sharp edge that was noticeable where it contacted the wrist. How a design that seems well thought out in every other regard could have overlooked the issue with having a hard exposed edge in direct context with the wearers wrist is somewhat mind boggling. Now I'll admit that maybe I'm being a bit sensitive and I do have issues with bands that are not fitting right driving me nuts, but it just seems like an oversight. I'm going to give it a go for a couple more days and see if I can get used to it, but I think I'll end up passing it on. (Or I guess I could source a different buckle if I decide I like the look overall with the watch, just seems silly I should have to)
Great combination. I think it looks better on the white dial version.

kimmo

Reaction score

It’s just another term for an outfit that consists of a denim shirt and denim pants or, basically, the denim on denim trend. As to how it got named the 'Canadian tuxedo', I don't have a clue! However, as much as it is generally used in a negative connotation, I still find some pretty sexy applications of this term.

I would guess the proper watch to be used with a Canadian tuxedo is no watch, just like in it's black tie counterpart. 
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

I always thought it to be jeans and jeans jacket, both stonewashed. Glad to see they're making high-end of it now.

That would have been one of my initial bets, or even something more frugal.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is TWAT and all, but freaking hell those things are gorgeous.

Frilly's shoes are like a couple of beautifully burnished chestnuts in the autumn. It's a pity that in the UK we just don't have those shoe-shine setups that you get in the US. Must be great just sitting there reading the paper, getting your shoes expertly shined every day, perhaps a bit of chat with the shoe-shine guy, and one less onerous task to clog up your precious weekend.

Thanks, gents. Corthay also does a marvelous job with patination - should come as no surprise that Corthay spent time as a master shoemaker for both John Lobb and Berluti before starting his own shop.

And yes, I quite like the shoe shine options we have! You also want a place that knows how to care for good shoes. I like the place I frequent, partly because it's close to my office - but one morning I was having my Indys shined and the elderly gentleman beside me said "great shoes!" Floyd Gilmore, who's worked for Alden for longer than many of us have been alive (he's been with the company for almost 60 years), was having his gunboats shined beside me, and vouched for how good the cobbler was.

My preordered rubber strap for my Explorer II from Everest Bands came in yesterday. I opted for the buckle tang version over the one meant to go with the oyster clasp as I didn't want to deal with removing the clasp off the bracelet. While the band and buckle look very nice, I think this was a mistake. The buckle has a relatively sharp edge that was noticeable where it contacted the wrist. How a design that seems well thought out in every other regard could have overlooked the issue with having a hard exposed edge in direct context with the wearers wrist is somewhat mind boggling.

Now I'll admit that maybe I'm being a bit sensitive and I do have issues with bands that are not fitting right driving me nuts, but it just seems like an oversight. I'm going to give it a go for a couple more days and see if I can get used to it, but I think I'll end up passing it on. (Or I guess I could source a different buckle if I decide I like the look overall with the watch, just seems silly I should have to)

@pmeis - sorry to hear about this experience. I too tried out Everest Bands, but I did so for my SubC ND, even as I tried RubberB for my DSSD. I have to say that the RubberB, though pricier, felt like it was of greater quality, sturdier make, and was certainly exceptionally comfortable. The Everest Band wasn't as comfortable (though I didn't notice the buckle's sharp edge when I tried it) - and I ended up sticking with RubberB for my future options.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Good you jumped in as I was going to ask if anyone could compare Everest against RubberB. I'm hankering for a 'bad taste' orange one to go with my ExII.

That Everest buckle looks like a pretty bad bit of design - the thing is bound to stand up like that with the thickness of the strap, so the obvious thing would be to have the area that contacts your wrist bevelled off.

Awesome shoeshine story. I guess that's another little bonus of the set-up - you never know who will be sat next to you, what chat there might be, biz leads, etc.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never tried the mid size 15450, so I can't really speak about my thoughts on that model.  While RO's do wear a bit larger than their stated size, I really like the RO in its 39mm size at least for my wrist.  My wrist is close in size to yours and I've very happy with my 39mm RO.  I went for the 15202, which is a bit flatter, so it wears a bit differently than the 15300 (which has a thicker case and thicker bracelet links).  I've had mine for nearly 3 years and I love it.  

I tried on the 15400 and its really nice but it was not for me.  Something about its proportions bothered me, not specifically the fit, just it did not look right to my eye.  I actually don't mind the RO chronograph at the 41mm size, but the 15400 wasn't for me. The 15300 had one small detail that annoyed me....the sweep second hand.  I just did not like its shape...so I eliminated the problem completely and went with the 15202...no second hand.  For some the lack of a quick set date would be an annoyance on the 15202 (although there is a trick you can keep winding back and forth between 10pm and 2 am to advance the date), and if you are someone that might be really rough on a watch, you might want the thicker case and bracelet (but for me the 15202 has been great as a nearly daily wearer for about 3 years).  I also loved the dial of the 15202.  

You should note, if you want a blue dial AP used a slightly different shade of blue on the 15202, 15300, and 15400.  Also there was a slight color change the 15202's blue about a year ago or so (it got darker).  From what I hear the 15202s are largely being sold  through AP boutiques and ADs have trouble getting them (although it doesn't mean a boutique will have it in stock). 

In the end you can't go wrong with any of the models.  The fit and finish on the RO is exceptional.  Each model is a winner.  Good luck with your RO research!

Love your tie...ooops ...I mean cravat! I'm a big fan of woven ties.  

Thanks to all for the helpful input. Is the 15202 available with a white face? If so, I may need to try that one on, too, but given the additional cost, I'm not sure I could justify the difference.

Assuming I go with the 15300, then the trick is finding the right one. The ones I tried on had clearly been polished, such that the edges of the bezel felt more round than pointed. Ideally, I'd want one that had not been polished.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Gents,

My GMT-II BLNR runs quite fast (I'd guess it's somewhere btw 15-30 seconds per day). From what I've read, it looks like it's more just an issue of needing a "regulation" rather than some big overhaul. I'm heading up to NYC for a work trip next week and figured this would be a good time to get that taken care of. My questions are: Where should I go? Is it something that could be done while I wait? What's the anticipated cost (It's theoretically still under warranty from Rolex, though I think that only is a factor if I sent it to the service center in NY, but correct me if I could get it taken care of at one of the Manhattan Rolex locations)?

Thanks for the input!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good you jumped in as I was going to ask if anyone could compare Everest against RubberB. I'm hankering for a 'bad taste' orange one to go with my ExII.

That Everest buckle looks like a pretty bad bit of design - the thing is bound to stand up like that with the thickness of the strap, so the obvious thing would be to have the area that contacts your wrist bevelled off.

Awesome shoeshine story. I guess that's another little bonus of the set-up - you never know who will be sat next to you, what chat there might be, biz leads, etc.

@Dachshund - my two cents worth: RubberB all the way. Even better if you can get it with a bit of a discount.

Also, as far as ideas for appropriate shoe shine set-ups are concerned, there are some fascinating ones out there:

http://nypost.com/2013/04/12/sexy-shoeshine-babes-are-hot-buff-for-wall-street-executives/

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,

My GMT-II BLNR runs quite fast (I'd guess it's somewhere btw 15-30 seconds per day). From what I've read, it looks like it's more just an issue of needing a "regulation" rather than some big overhaul. I'm heading up to NYC for a work trip next week and figured this would be a good time to get that taken care of. My questions are: Where should I go? Is it something that could be done while I wait? What's the anticipated cost (It's theoretically still under warranty from Rolex, though I think that only is a factor if I sent it to the service center in NY, but correct me if I could get it taken care of at one of the Manhattan Rolex locations)?

Thanks for the input!

Some Rolex ADs have techs that can do that, maybe not while you wait though. I'd like to know from the more experienced here, if you do get an in store watchmaker to regulate your watch, do they do a pressure test on it again?

There should be no cost if it's under warranty.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the helpful input. Is the 15202 available with a white face? If so, I may need to try that one on, too, but given the additional cost, I'm not sure I could justify the difference.

Assuming I go with the 15300, then the trick is finding the right one. The ones I tried on had clearly been polished, such that the edges of the bezel felt more round than pointed. Ideally, I'd want one that had not been polished.
The 15202 was offered with a white dial years ago. However, the current version of the 15202 is only available in blue. The old white dial was quite different. The AP symbol was at 12, the Clou De Paris (square pattern) was larger, their was a black outline around the date window, the stick hour markers were shorter and on their outter edges they were marked 5, 10, 15 etc. I was not really a fan of the previous dial.

If a white dial is what you are after, I prefer the dial of the 15300 over the old white dial of the 15202. Its a bit cleaner IMHO, and it will save you some $$$.

AP's unfortunately often get polished by local independent shops and the angled bezels frequently get "Rounded" in the process. APs should only ever get polished (if they need it) by an AP service center. I would suggest hunting for a piece that is unpolished. I suppose in the worst case scenario you could always purchase a new bezel from AP, but I hear they are quite pricey. Wishing you luck!

Gents,

Thanks for the input!
Yes, bring to to the Rolex Service Center at 665 5th Avenue. The entrance is actually on the side of the building and its on the 5th floor. Whether or not its something they can do while you wait for it is something only they can tell you and may depend on how busy they are and what they need to do. If its under warranty, bring your warranty card (whatever it needs should be free). If they need more time they can always ship it to your home or office (which I think they would not charge for if its a warranty repair).

You have to bring it to the Rolex Service Center. The Rolex Boutiques only adjust bracelets they don't open the watch cases or do anything service related. Some older AD's used to have small in house service centers, but most ADs do not have them anymore. Personally, I'd rather have the watch worked on directly at the service center, because if there is a part that needs replacing they are more likely to have the parts in stock while the AD's little workshop may not.

Hopefully, its something small and not a big deal.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Rolex ADs have techs that can do that, maybe not while you wait though. I'd like to know from the more experienced here, if you do get an in store watchmaker to regulate your watch, do they do a pressure test on it again?

Personally, I'd stick with the Rolex Service Center rather than an AD. Especially, if the OP will be in NYC anyway. I'm just not a big fan of the watchmakers at most local ADs (at least not in the US). They don't have the same parts inventory, they don't have all the same tools/machines, and I'm not always sure how much training they have specifically had with Rolex or other brands. Rolex actually shut down the many of the mini Rolex Authorized service centers that were in ADs in the US, but a few still remain.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

Yes, bring to to the Rolex Service Center at 665 5th Avenue.  The entrance is actually on the side of the building and its on the 5th floor. Whether or not its something they can do while you wait for it is something only they can tell you  and may depend on how busy they are and what they need to do.  If its under warranty, bring your warranty card (whatever it needs should be free).  If they need more time they can always ship it to your home or office (which I think they would not charge for if its a warranty repair). 

You have to bring it to the Rolex Service Center.  The Rolex Boutiques only adjust bracelets they don't open the watch cases or do anything service related.  Some older AD's used to have small in house service centers, but most ADs do not have them anymore.  Personally, I'd rather have the watch worked on directly at the service center, because if there is a part that needs replacing they are more likely to have the parts in stock while the AD's little workshop may not. 

Hopefully, its something small and not a big deal.

Personally, I'd stick with the Rolex Service Center rather than an AD.  Especially, if the OP will be in NYC anyway.  I'm just not a big fan of the watchmakers at most local ADs (at least not in the US). They don't have the same parts inventory, they don't have all the same tools/machines, and I'm not always sure how much training they have specifically had with Rolex or other brands.   Rolex actually shut down the many of the mini Rolex Authorized service centers that were in ADs in the US, but a few still remain.     

Thanks guys. I'll go there. Do you think there's any way of making some sort of "reservation" to increase the possibility of getting it done while I wait? Other issue is the watch was purchased from DavidSW on TRF as opposed to an AD. I know there are conflicting reports on honoring the warranty or not, but supposedly the NY Service Center DOES honor the warranty. Should I still bring the card that has the original buyer's name?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll go there. Do you think there's any way of making some sort of "reservation" to increase the possibility of getting it done while I wait? Other issue is the watch was purchased from DavidSW on TRF as opposed to an AD. I know there are conflicting reports on honoring the warranty or not, but supposedly the NY Service Center DOES honor the warranty. Should I still bring the card that has the original buyer's name?
Sorry, I don't think they have call ahead waiting like at TGI Fridays restaurant
wink.gif
. When you get there you fill out a form with your contact information. Then someone will come out to collect your watch, they go through these sliding metal doors and bring it to a service tech who takes off the bracelet to get the serial number from the case and look at the watch. Then they come back to you to discuss whether its something you can wait for (often times I have been able to wait there for a battery change in my Oysterquartz). It may just be a matter of regulating but I'm just guessing, and it could be something else. So I don't know if your issue is something you can wait for or not. They will let you know. If you have to leave it with them they will give you a claim check for it. If its ready while you are still in town, you need to bring the claim check and a photo ID to get the watch back.

As for having bought it from DavidSW and whether the warranty will be honored I have no idea. That is a murky area and something you will have to find out when you go. Worst case scenario, if they don't honor it, there is a charge, they will contact you with an estimate to let you know what the issue is, what they will do to correct it, and the cost. You can always say no and tell them not to do the work. If you brought it to your average watch shop you may have to pay for whatever they do to it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads