• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGotId

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of Roadsters around, and they typically seem to be (in Australia) around the US$4000 mark and up. That's the plain (non-chronograph) version in steel. You can probably get them more cheaply elsewhere, as things like watches tend to be more expensive in Australia.

I've never seen one with a blue dial, only with a black or white (or maybe silver?) dial.

I bought my wife one from this place. Web design is from the Jurassic era, but they were prompt with communication and the price seemed fair. No idea on blue dial.

http://capetownstore.com/consignment_watches.html

Lots of used Cartier Roadsters were made, so finding a pre owned one shouldn't pose much problem.
Finding the blue dial model could be tougher, as I believe it was a limited production watch. Still if you are patient, I'm sure you will eventually locate a blue one for sale.

Thanks everyone,

My biggest concern wrt buying a discontinued watch is not being able to try one on.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current wish list. This thread should be classified a type 2 narcotic.

Nice. Tudor Heritage Ranger is top of my list, though I think I'll be getting the bundstrap. Also like that Nomos. Is it the "Doctors without borders"? I would get the 38mm, anything smaller wouldn't interest me, but I prefer the band on the 33mm. Still my top three are all Tudors.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Really, those are on there because I like their looks, more than I like what the brand stands for, or the horological aspects of the watches.

Looks should be a top concern! Use everything else as tie breaker!

That said, some awesome choices. What's first on your list?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it is not the Up/Down then I don't know what it would be. Almost a, "one of these is not like the others" in terms of price points. We all change our minds though. Hell I came here asking about an Omega PO and ended up with a Rolex GMT.

velomatt

Reaction score

Quote:

Yep, Up/Down, but that is on the 5-10 year time horizon, probably once grad school loans are paid off. Most likely will be the Nomos Tangente Automatic. Their own movement, good price point. Versatile enough that I could wear it at work everyday.

The Ranger is the only Tudor that I can really get behind. I wanted to like the Pelagos, but I can't get over the hour hand.

I love power reserve indicators, hence their heavy inclusion on the list.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ranger is the only Tudor that I can really get behind. I wanted to like the Pelagos, but I can't get over the hour hand.

Do you mean the snowflake? That's one of the main aspects of the design.

But the snowflake is what we call in the UK a Marmite design (Marmite being a yeast extract spread on toast that people either love or hate).

TradThrifter

Reaction score
What does TWAT think about the wearing of pinky rings or rings in general as fashion? If you enjoy them do you like them on your watch wearing hand or the opposite hand?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No love for the Heritage Black Bay in red/burgundy? It is, in my book, a lovely timepiece, and probably one of my two next 'bigger' purchases (read: that doesn't belong in the PMW thread)!

Photo credit: user 'Clarky' on www.forums.watchuseek.com

What does TWAT think about the wearing of pinky rings or rings in general as fashion? If you enjoy them do you like them on your watch wearing hand or the opposite hand?

I have 2 rings. My wedding band on the left ring finger and my 'engagement ring' on the right ring finger. The 'engagement ring' is actually a long story, but in short, it was supposed to be my wedding ring, but I inherited my late grandfather's wedding ring that my wife surprised me with on our wedding day. My grandfather's ring became my wedding ring and the previous one was nicknamed my 'engagement ring'.

As for your question, I've always liked pinky ring (chevalière-type) but I've always felt that without being from a long lineage of some old-money family or rich blood, or profession-related (military, sport player, engineer, etc.) it might look poseur so I always opted against it. Anyway, had I chosen to wear one, it would always rub/cling against my wedding ring, making it uncomfortable to wear.

There are some stylish dude whom wear them with great style/without looking gimmicky (read: Karl Edwin Guerre, the guy from HVRMINN, etc.), but they usually have the eclectic style to go with it and are often working in fashion/design by profession.

_____

On another note, how does TWAT feel regarding Hodinkee's feature of rich anonymous Japanese citizen's Lange collection?

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/watch-collecting-in-japan-a-lange-and-sohne

Last edited:

kimmo

Reaction score
OK, this might be a bit long and thinking out loud, but for tl;dr:

1) ultimate sports watch 5-10 k€
2) does a high end dress watch have to have a white dial?

Long version:

I actually once already ordered a blue-dialed Milgauss, but Rolex being the a-holes towards North European market as they are, didn't deliver the watch. Happened to a Tudor also, so 2 out of 2. Even the AD's don't know if they get a full delivery to their order until they open the packages. So, been thinking the "sports watch"´category a lot earlier.

Spec would be steel, steel bracelet, in-house movement, not chrono, design stylish enough to work also with a suit on informal settings. Have already my ultimate diver (JLC DSC) so looking into "clean design" here.

As I've probably mentioned here before, only Rolexes which interest me are Milgauss and Platona (material plus colours, price point a bit steep, though).

Omega, nah. Don't see the current price hike strategy working for me, only interesting ones are Aqua Terra's.

AP Royal Oak is the other strong contender here (apart from blue Milgauss) and if my gardening leave / new job scheme works just right, I'd spend part of my extra bonus to this end and RO would be probably the "grail". However, 15400 wears a bit large, 15300 / 15202 would probably be right (have tried 15300 years ago, so need to find one first to try. Discontinued model so a problem also). Can't really justify the 15202 extra price, though.

VC Overseas... I don't like the non-chrono models dial with both batons and numbers, so a design issue.

What else have I really missed here? I have to dig up the $5k threads and read them through..

For the dress watch, I'll probably postpone that later but JLC MUT Moon 39 in black really speaks to me. Problem is I seem to be ending with black / dark dialled watches already and I don't like the MUT Moon white dial, being slightly bland. So what's the TWAT popular opinion of a higher end dress watch dial colour? Other dress watches I like seem to be from VC and they do the white much better, so there's a thought..

gopherblue

Reaction score

For the dress watch, I'll probably postpone that later but JLC MUT Moon 39 in black really speaks to me. Problem is I seem to be ending with black / dark dialled watches already and I don't like the MUT Moon white dial, being slightly bland. So what's the TWAT popular opinion of a higher end dress watch dial colour? Other dress watches I like seem to be from VC and they do the white much better, so there's a thought..

I really like the JLC MUT Moon 39 in black. But if you have several other black dialed watches, then yes, I agree you should consider mixing it up. I really like the VC dress watches, especially the 1955 Historique. It is a true ultrathin, with a gorgeous, JLC-derived movement. Has real horological cachet too. Not sure what your budget is, but if this is in your range, I'd give it a serious look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads