• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmeis

Reaction score

Individual! My pilot 3777-01 is 1 year old and the Rolex is 20 years, but Rolex is more expansive them IWC on the second hand market?

Oops, I totally misread the model number you had written. I don't know much about the value of the 3777, but In general the best value you're going to get is by selling your own watch outright first and the buying what you want. Sorry, I thought I could be more helpful.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Individual! My pilot 3777-01 is 1 year old and the Rolex is 20 years, but Rolex is more expansive them IWC on the second hand market?
Not sure if you are questioning why the Rolex is more. If so, vintage Rolex models have continued to increase in value as the designs are timeless, very few changes the 16570 and the 16550 looked nearly the same for 20+ years. Also they have an in house movement which seems to be more valued today than 15-20 years ago as most companies have tried to offer more pieces with in house movements.

A current IWC will depreciate (as you can get it new at a discount), so one has to take a hit to move to make the price gap significant enough to entice a buyer. Also with many people favoring in house movements the Val 7750 isn't helping its value, and its design at least from what I've seen isn't universally loved. Many don't like the window with 3 dates visible. Personally, if I were buying a pilot watch, I think its predecessors (3706 and 3713) are a more classic in design so I'd probably seek out one of those.

However, if the 16570 suits your taste go for it. It will at least retain its value, and for some people the GMT function is more useful than a chronograph. It also flies under the radar a bit more than the colored bezels of Subs, GMTs, and SDs, yet its still "Very Rolex." I've had a 16570 for about 14 years (it was a wedding gift) and although I have no intention of selling it is interesting to see values go past what it cost when it was new. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Here are 2 quick enabling photos. One with a few siblings, one by itself. Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took Mrs. Dino and my niece to a chocolate bar at a hotel in Boston. So my BLNR got some wrist time. Also snapped a quick lum shot later in the day. Cheers!

Sweden

Reaction score
Not sure if you are questioning why the Rolex is more. If so, vintage Rolex models have continued to increase in value as the designs are timeless, very few changes the 16570 and the 16550 looked nearly the same for 20+ years. Also they have an in house movement which seems to be more valued today than 15-20 years ago as most companies have tried to offer more pieces with in house movements.

A current IWC will depreciate (as you can get it new at a discount), so one has to take a hit to move to make the price gap significant enough to entice a buyer. Also with many people favoring in house movements the Val 7750 isn't helping its value, and its design at least from what I've seen isn't universally loved. Many don't like the window with 3 dates visible. Personally, if I were buying a pilot watch, I think its predecessors (3706 and 3713) are a more classic in design so I'd probably seek out one of those.

However, if the 16570 suits your taste go for it. It will at least retain its value, and for some people the GMT function is more useful than a chronograph. It also flies under the radar a bit more than the colored bezels of Subs, GMTs, and SDs, yet its still "Very Rolex." I've had a 16570 for about 14 years (it was a wedding gift) and although I have no intention of selling it is interesting to see values go past what it cost when it was new. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Here are 2 quick enabling photos. One with a few siblings, one by itself. Cheers!

Yes I know that Rolex has a higher value in the second hand market, but when I scan the ads on the biggest site for watches, chrono24 the cheapest 3777 is 600-700 dollars more expensive than the cheapest 16570?

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

It certainly is a beautiful thing, Ben, though I still think it deserves a real gator strap for that level of detail - even if it means 50-100 bucks on the price. But maybe that's just me.

Either way, you're doing great things. Any news on your Swiss perp cal project?

CWI, or how about just wearing a jacket and a nice watch to take someone special for dinner? There is always a good reason to be one notch sharper than the rest. Important ****** - looking important can have a surprising impact on how you feel.

Thanks @mimo. The strap in my photos is a real gator strap, a really superb hand-stitched bespoke one in fact. We've started offering bespoke straps in a whole range of skins (elephant, camel, gator/croc, python, shark, hippo, nubuck, suede etc) along with matching hand-stitched belts as well as a service for our Celadon Connoisseurs.

The thing about including real gator straps as stock is the shipping logistics. Many countries especially the US have regulations which require huge amounts of paperwork (which our strapmaker has to organize) and even then the importation usually still has hiccups. Same thing with lizard.

For our upcoming Yue Fei diver, I've designed a special water-resistant stingray strap built specifically for deep-sea diving as an option for it.

We've also started offering Russian Reindeer straps, hand-stitched and bespoke, for our best Connoisseurs (we only have 8 straps available and apparently this really is the last batch that the divers brought up :D)

Have a look at my Peacock guilloche in Blanc de Chine... it features several world-firsts and/or world-onlys

1. World’s only pressed guilloche Peacock dial
2. World’s only heat-blued steel emblem
3. World’s only production watch with heat-blued steel hour markers, each one painstakingly blued by hand

By the way I was in Oman last month (in transit, otherwise I would have buzzed you!) and two older Gulf gentlemen in a lounge complimented and asked about the two watches I was wearing (I usually wear two Celadon Imperials when I travel, one on home time and one local time - to me it beats wearing a GMT watch, heh). Was pleasantly surprised given what is usually said about the Arab inclination towards excess. They were both wearing fine dressy watches - Langematik and a Patek 5170 if I recall.

On the Swiss perpcal, I've put it on hold for the time being as the quality that my supplier VMF (Vaucher Manufacture Fleurier, the sister company of Parmigiani) provided ultimately didn’t meet the standards I had in mind when I handled the finished prototypes. If I do not find another supplier that can meet my expectations for quality and finishing, I will not go ahead with the project. If I put my name on the watch, it cannot be anything less than the absolute best.

@cyc wid it you should definitely go for the VC. I'm a big fan of the brand and have several of their pieces, both vintage and modern. One of my favourite dress watches when I'm not wearing one of my own is a vintage piece from 1961 featuring the cal 1003, the thinnest movement ever produced and chronometer-rated. Here it is on my wrist at a gala dinner at the VC Maison in Geneva in front of a vintage advert of the 1003.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nice work, B, and good luck! I'd be interested to know who they were - never seen anyone wearing a Langematik here, and I love that watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I know that Rolex has a higher value in the second hand market, but when I scan the ads on the biggest site for watches, chrono24 the cheapest 3777 is 600-700 dollars more expensive than the cheapest 16570?
If your 3777 is worth more than why did you say, "Individual! My pilot 3777-01 is 1 year old and the Rolex is 20 years, but Rolex is more expansive them IWC on the second hand market?" Not really sure what that means. If your 3777 is worth more it should be easy for you to get a 16570 and with it costing you little or nothing extra. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:

Sweden

Reaction score
Can I ask for his Rolex AND cash?

Or can he ask for my IWC AND cash?

Thats the question!

Last edited:

Donavan92

Reaction score

Purchased this a couple weeks back, fell in love with its versatility and the detailing on crown and case.

Next purchase is a dress watch, looking at a Nomos.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@cyc wid it you should definitely go for the VC. I'm a big fan of the brand and have several of their pieces, both vintage and modern. One of my favourite dress watches when I'm not wearing one of my own is a vintage piece from 1961 featuring the cal 1003, the thinnest movement ever produced and chronometer-rated. Here it is on my wrist at a gala dinner at the VC Maison in Geneva in front of a vintage advert of the 1003.

That VC is gorgeous.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

That VC is gorgeous.

Thanks Dopey! The vintage VC (as with most top and mid-end vintage of the '50s and '60s) is IMHO leagues ahead of the contemporary production of the big houses these days. More care and more lavish materials and handwork was used on almost all parts of the watch. That is a standard I strive for in the watches that I design and produce myself under Celadon.

More scans for you...

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes, there's an ALS boutique in Dubai Mall; they also have an AD here in Muscat. It was in the former that I discovered my love for the Langematik Perpetual (and the Datograph, the Richard Lange...etc..etc....)

@Sweden , I think there's always a temptation to be led by a deal that's under your nose, but it's sensible to look at it from the ground up. For instance, if your friend's selling his car, you might think about it, but wouldn't it make more sense to ask whether you were looking for a car in the first place, and if so which one, and how much you wanted to pay, etc.? This one seems like an easy deal, but from my cursory investigation of the used market, I think you're down about $700 on the market value, as others have said. @in stitches is absolutely the man to ask. But yeah, sell yours to whoever will pay most, and buy the one that will cost you least. I think you might find there's a Stowa's worth of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads