• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Yes, I think 3 + 1 grail is the ideal. Anything additional to that is gravy. If you're the rare person whose grail is his 'one' then you're a lucky, and financially responsible, fellow.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
BH, are you saying you want to give up your Speedy Pro? :)

Well, I have the said Seiko beater for exercise, beach, etc. And I rotate one more subtle and one more shiny watch with my jacket and tie every day. And I wear a pilot for casual douchery. So I guess I'm walking the walk. Except that all four of the above I'd like to upgrade. And so the sickness continues.

velomatt

Reaction score
^^^
The problem arises when all your watch desires are grail watches and you'll never be able to afford any of them. If I could pick my 3 favorite watches, that's $100,000.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
The problem arises when all your watch desires are grail watches and you'll never be able to afford any of them. If I could pick my 3 favorite watches, that's $100,000.

Of course, this 3-watch talk is meant to take place in a parallel universe where money doesn't come into play. Because in this current universe, my ideal 3 watches I could never afford (ALS/PP for dress, Rolex or APRO for tool and PAM or IWC BP for casual douchery). So I have to make due with more affordable 'homage' and watches with similar features within my price range.

Then again, I don't think I could stop at only 3.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now there's a thought - Dino's Jumbo springs to mind. Definitely wearable with anything...but would you risk it in the gym or the pool?

Now I'm thinking about Frilly's 5711 in the sandbox...
My 5711 has pretty much accompanied me through every place and activity I've done. And she has some battle scars to show for it... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that if an event is special enough to be black tie, then a watch shouldn't matter as then when you glance at it, it would signify you would rather be somewhere else. So black tie should actually be watchless.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah I think that's why it's considered most elegant not to wear one: the correct time to leave being when one's lady wishes to do so.

And the absolute incorrect form being to check one's watch frequently, while muttering "how long are ballets supposed to be anyway?"

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I think that's why it's considered most elegant not to wear one: the correct time to leave being when one's lady wishes to do so.  

And the absolute incorrect form being to check one's watch frequently, while muttering "how long are ballets supposed to be anyway?"

From experience?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
From experience?

Actually, no. It's been a while since I took a lady to the ballet, but it was she who fell asleep.

Also, I fancy this simple item for a technically-incorrect-black-tie-watch:

Yes, with second hand, day counter and all.

Five watches is the new four.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
F*ck a bunch of watch limitations.

(Theoretical or not).

I say 20 is the new 5!

tigerpac

Reaction score
I read somewhere that if an event is special enough to be black tie, then a watch shouldn't matter as then when you glance at it, it would signify you would rather be somewhere else. So black tie should actually be watchless.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tigerpac

Reaction score
Made it about a quarter of the way down the page until I was suffocated by the douchebaggery. The guy who bought many? dozens? of fake/Frankenstein Rolexes and others is a "watch nerd icon"? He should just stick his head back in the cardboard box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads