• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 - love seeing old-timers. You may learn to love the imperfections and see it as part of the watch's history.

Here's a picture. You can see the rust on the date wheel. It is interesting that the water spots on the dial are more visible to the naked eye than in this picture. I get the whole "character" thing with vintage watches, but all the rust and water spots do is make me want to kick myself for not taking it off.

Last edited:

ncc1701d

Reaction score

We'll Rolex certainly seems to have gotten it right half a century ago. Last pilot flew a plain I was on was sporting a 16710 in Coke.

True story.
exactly - and doubt it is considered a "pilot watch" and doubt Rolex were targeting pilots.

I've seen pilots wear GMTs and Brietlings (but not the model with the digital read out). Β I also knew pilot(watch enthusiast) who used to fly intercontinental flights and he used to wear a Rolex Oysterquartz models, stating he wanted they most accurate and durable watch they made. Β Back in the day it was one of the first Rolex models where the entire line up (even steel models) had sapphire crystals, solid bracelet links, and it was more anti-magnetic than a Milgauss. Β A friend who was a car/airplane hobbyist with pilot's license and a small plane (seated 8 IIRC), wore Porsche Design watches (Titan Chronograph and the Compass watch) when they were made by IWC. Β I've never seen a pilot wearing an IWC pilot watch. Β Β 
A GMT / multi time zone model is probably the most a pilot would be after - assuming they even want a "pilot watch". I've never seen anyone use the chronograph on their watch. Ever.

Very rare on high end watches these days, but believe it or not, an alarm function would be handy (but not a deal breaker). What would be great would be a multi time zone watch that the buyer gets to name the cities / airports on the watch as a custom design. It would be a nice touch (I don't go to Vancouver much, so would prefer to have LAX on my watch, or Hong Kong over Singapore).

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a 100% sure but its my understanding that as long as Original Rolex parts have been used RSC will work on the watch.

They will take any modifications you have made and return them to factory standard for example if you had a Normal Sub which you had replaced the Black Dial with the Green dial, if you asked RSC to service it they would replace it back to Black Bezel.
Yes, they will work on any Rolex as long as it has original Rolex parts and has not been modified (which includes not modifying it to use parts from another Rolex model). I may not have been clear enough. I wasn't saying that they won't service a watch serviced by someone else, I was saying I don't know if they would agree to simply replace the dial and date wheel without servicing it themselves, or if they would insist on servicing it themselves, as anything they work on carries a 2 year warranty. If something wasn't done correctly by the independent guy, they don't want to be blamed if something goes wrong after they open it when part of the problem could be the last guy that worked on it.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol to all the pilot watch comments...

High end watch companies used to corner the market on features valued in aviation. That all changed with electronic watches as these extra functions can now be had through programming rather than mechanical features. So now high end "pilot watches" are flown mainly by desk jockeys...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol to all the pilot watch comments...

High end watch companies used to corner the market on features valued in aviation. That all changed with electronic watches as these extra functions can now be had through programming rather than mechanical features. So now high end "pilot watches" are flown mainly by desk jockeys...

Exactly. Cool as it may be, I can't think of many pilots who'd be using the slide rule function on the bezel of the Breitling Navitimer...

Dachshund

Reaction score

Here's a picture. You can see the rust on the date wheel. It is interesting that the water spots on the dial are more visible to the naked eye than in this picture. I get the whole "character" thing with vintage watches, but all the rust and water spots do is make me want to kick myself for not taking it off.

Thanks for sharing that - a real beauty. Well done on getting a beautiful birthdate watch. I've got a Rolex Date from my birth year and I love it.

I can see what you mean about the date wheel. Maybe it's only bad on certain numbers and you could swap it out of your rotation on those dates if you have other watches?

The dial doesn't look bad at all although as you say IRL may be more noticeable.

Here's my two cents worth, as a fellow owner of a vintage Rollie. Yes, I would kick myself a bit, but personally I would let it stay as it is, or at most see if Rolex can touch up the date wheel in some way, but certainly not the dial. For me, the fun of the vintage watch, particularly from my birth year, is that I am wearing something that, in total, has been 'alive' for as long as me. If I was to swap out a major visual component of that it would nag at me whenever I looked at it. Certainly with the dial. Maybe less so with the date wheel, but it's still a vital component. So I would just put it down to 'patina' and the watch's history and adventures.

Now, if all you are concerned about is that the movement is as old as you, and you want the rest of the aesthetics to be perfect, then you must do what you need to do. Each to his own.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and congrats again on a lovely old timepiece.

Dachshund

Reaction score
PS here's mine today. I just love these old models. Pepsi next, with luck, and that's a watch that just cries out for a bit of patina. What a ruinous hobby this is...

cs12

Reaction score

Yes, they will work on any Rolex as long as it has original Rolex parts and has not been modified (which includes not modifying it to use parts from another Rolex model). Β I may not have been clear enough. Β I wasn't saying that they won't service a watch serviced by someone else, I was saying I don't know if they would agree to simply replace the dial and date wheel without servicing it themselves, or if they would insist on servicing it themselves, as anything they work on carries a 2 year warranty. Β If something wasn't done correctly by the independent guy, they don't want to be blamed if something goes wrong after they open it when part of the problem could be the last guy that worked on it. Β 

Sorry I don't know.

gopherblue

Reaction score
Ack. So I'm considering a Rolex 31mm Lady's Datejust, RG/steel oyster bracelet, RG bezel, as a gift for my wife. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of discount I might be able to expect from an AD? Please feel free to PM me directly. Any suggestions for an AD on the East Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads