• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even If I already have two Dive watches already??  I know 9 people that own the sub personally, I want something little bit different.

I have three dive watches, and more could be on the horizon. Get what you like. What others have, like I said, should never be a consideration. Who cares what anyone else wears or doesn't wear? When choosing a watch, I never even think of what anyone else might be wearing.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are binge watching Mad Men today and I couldn't resist:

I can't believe it took me this long to start it, but I'm hooked.

As always, I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I'm hooked on the Reverso. Stunning!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even If I already have two Dive watches already??  I know 9 people that own the sub personally, I want something little bit different.

I have three dive watches, and more could be on the horizon. Get what you like. What others have, like I said, should never be a consideration. Who cares what anyone else wears or doesn't wear? When choosing a watch, I never even think of what anyone else might be wearing.

Some thoughts on the SD4000 versus the SubC LV - they look similar, but there are subtle, potentially important differences (price aside). The SD4000 is heavier than the SubC, and its titanium caseback actually protrudes and doesn't sit as flat on the wrist as the Sub's.

The SD4000 is 15mm thick while the SubC is 12.5mm thick; that doesn't sound like much, but note that the DSSD is "only" 2.5mm thicker than the SD4000 and is perceived by many as being "too thick." So make sure you put both on your wrist to make sure it works for you.

Finally, the SD4000's crystal is raised, while the SubC's crystal lies flat against the bezel. That might render the SD4000's crystal a bit more susceptible to chipping if you bang up against something too hard.

I own both (and several other modern Rolex dive watches) and I love 'em all! Best wishes on the decision.

jujujoo11

Reaction score
Some thoughts on the SD4000 versus the SubC LV - they look similar, but there are subtle, potentially important differences (price aside). The SD4000 is heavier than the SubC, and its titanium caseback actually protrudes and doesn't sit as flat on the wrist as the Sub's.

The SD4000 is 15mm thick while the SubC is 12.5mm thick; that doesn't sound like much, but note that the DSSD is "only" 2.5mm thicker than the SD4000 and is perceived by many as being "too thick." So make sure you put both on your wrist to make sure it works for you.

Finally, the SD4000's crystal is raised, while the SubC's crystal lies flat against the bezel. That might render the SD4000's crystal a bit more susceptible to chipping if you bang up against something too hard.

I own both (and several other modern Rolex dive watches) and I love 'em all! Best wishes on the decision.
I find both are awesome. I find the LV really unique. I will go try em both on and see.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read over the years, it's a bit of a controversy between serious collectors. Some say a stainless steel blue dial/bezel Submariner was made in extremely limited quantities for the Japanese market in the 1980s, and some say the watch was a frankenRolex and was not a factory piece. If it did exist, this is the reference:
There are a few photos on the Internet of the supposed watch, but I have yet to see anyone acquire this unicorn. People have been clamoring for a stainless steel blue Submariner for a very long time and, were the piece real, I would think that some vintage collector would have trumpeted their discovery by now.
I've never heard of them being made for the Japanese market. However, I had heard, (and again it can often be difficult to know what is truth and what is rumor), that a person or a few people commissioned them back in the days when Rolex would actually make watches that were specific to a client's wishes. Although, I presume it took some serious money to do so. Years ago I did see pix of a steel Sub, dark blue dial and dark blue bezel, I believe it was based on a 1680. IIRC, it was going to auction but I don't know the details.

There were rumors that wealthy people in the Middle East had commissioned manual wind Daytonas in the 1970s and early 80's, but I've never seen proof of that. However, I have seen pix of one of the rarest Rolex's ever made. A series of 8 Platinum Oysterquartz watches, commissioned and given as gifts by the late Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. So there definitely was a time when Rolex would do special orders, but they are much larger now and that time has passed.

People may be getting the white gold confused with Steel.
People who are new to Rolex, might make that mistake. However, there have been pix and stories of specially commissioned steel, blue dial, blue bezel Submariners in the 1970s or 1980s.

How do you feel about the Royal Eagle chronos, Dino? I tried on a rose gold early-2000s model at WatchClub the other day and was surprised at how much it appealed, with the vaguely Franck Muller-ish numerals being the only real ding for me.
First, take into account, that the "Exploding Numerals" often associated with F.M., were used by Vacheron long before F.M. was born. I know they were used by VC as early as 1912.
I really like the case for the VC Royal Eagle, particularly the rose gold calendar version (its a tad cleaner without the date and pushers). The chronograph version is nice, its movement is based on F.Piguet 1185 (used in the current VC Overseas chrono and RO Chrono), but I do wish they had skipped giving it a date. Still it is a very nice watch, greatly under appreciated when new...but I think it will come to be looked on as a very good value and an unusual watch in years to come. Most chronographs are round so its really cool to occasionally find them offered in other shapes. I prefer it in rose on a strap over the steel version on a bracelet. Wishing you luck with it my friend.
cheers.gif

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got a raise at work and decided to celebrate with a Nomos. I was up in the air between a Metro and the Ahoi Atlantik, but the deep blue dial on the Ahoi and the fact that trying to find a Metro in stock somewhere was a PITA, means the Ahoi won out.

It's quite a departure from the dive, pilot, and military watches I usually go with but it's truly stunning.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys I need some help. I'm buying my first Rolex. I already own many black dial dive watches. But wanted some advice on Owning one Rolex that will be special. I like the Submariner but seems like everyone at my work has one (black one), so wanted something different like SD4000 at least I will know its different, or even more unique the LV sub. Do you guys think the LV sub will be ok to represent my only Rolex in my collection? Maybe my only Rolex for a while.
If Sub fits you well, go with it. I had the sub but maxi case didn't sit well on my wrist, it appears blocky. Rolex did a nice job with the lugs of SD4000, plus I think it has much more wrist prescence so I got myself a new sea dweller. A lot of people say that the higher price isn't worth it, to me it is worth every penny over Sub as it is quite different from the Sub.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SD4000 for the win.

Doing a Google image search I came across this. I haven't been able to read anything about this; is Omega hiding something?

jcnst12

Reaction score
When I asked about moon phases, I never would have thought I would own a watch with it.....
Wurger, after having this watch now for some time, how has the "thickness" worked for you? I love the look of the watch, but notice in all my research that it does look rather thick at 16mm....have you found this to be an issue?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SD4000 for the win.

Doing a Google image search I came across this. I haven't been able to read anything about this; is Omega hiding something?

Yes, this obviously will have a solaro strap! :D

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SD4000 for the win.

Tried one of these on in a post a few pages back. It's the new omega smartwatch. They're really targeting it at pilots from what I could gather.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the simplest way to get an insurance appraisal done on watches?

The AD I just took my Rolex to for service said they would do it for $85. But considering I'm already on the hook for $600 for the service, which I know includes a markup I'm rather peeved that they would want to charge me at all to look at it for two minutes and print a slip of paper with a valuation on it.

What other options exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads