• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed Mr. Moo., very nice indeed. And I notice that's one of the cerachrom subs? Love that blue lume.

On a side note, my RubberB strap is now affixed, though there was some difficulty requiring the skills of a fast-handed Oriental fellow with a loupe.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes.

I've recently returned from touring South America since the beginning of the month, and I've caught up with the 800 or so posts since then. Looks like I missed out on a few great new arrivals, the Basel stuff, discussion of the best Hodinkee article I've seen in ages, a bit of fake watch drama, and some OQ content. However, it was a good adventure, and watches weren't really on my mind. :)

I was planned on seeing if I could manage bringing this frantically-waving Chairman (his arm is attached to the pallet fork) as my only watch for the trip...

...but almost immediately abandoned the idea and took the 17000, too.

It didn't leave my wrist:

Ms. Belligero took a liking to the Mao novelty watch, so at least it got some use, whereas I found Rolex's red-headed stepchild to be perfect for everything from the city to the Andes to the jungle. If I ever come to my senses and liquidate the stockpile, it might just be the one I keep; it's that good. I don't even know why most people only refer to the professional series as sports models; as far as I'm concerned, anything with an Oyster case is a sports watch.

I had the caseback off today, so I might as well share a photo of its guts:

Basel-wise, there wasn't a whole lot that interested me this year — with the notable exception of the new generation of three-hand movements, which appear to be supremely well-designed. The 40 mm Day-Date's 3255 version features prominently in this year's material, but did anyone else notice that there's already a 3235 available in the new Datejust variant?

It's only a matter of time before these start replacing the 31XX movements across the line, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new models that they'll go in.

Other than that, the 39 mm OP seems unnecessary, as the 36 mm version is a perfected watch, but I suppose there's no harm in having an extra option.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pairs well with a dirty martini, hot dog sliders and a 52nd floor view.

Looks like a nice afternoon...I'm going to guess "Top of the Hub?"
Has the Mrs since approved this purchase?
I had been wondering the same thing.

Judging by the martini, not yet...
devil.gif

rotflmao.gif

Hey dudes.

I've recently returned from touring South America since the beginning of the month, ...

...but almost immediately abandoned the idea and took the 17000, too.

It didn't leave my wrist:

Ms. Belligero took a liking to the Mao novelty watch, so at least it got some use, whereas I found Rolex's red-headed stepchild to be perfect for everything from the city to the Andes to the jungle. If I ever come to my senses and liquidate the stockpile, it might just be the one I keep; it's that good. I don't even know why most people only refer to the professional series as sports models; as far as I'm concerned, anything with an Oyster case is a sports watch.
Welcome back!!! Looks like you had some interesting adventures. Great photos and I'm glad to see that the OQ got a good work out. The OQ has simply always been one of the most under appreciated watches that can be worn for almost any situation. One can wear it for the most rugged activities, wear it in highly magnetic environments, and then wear it with a suit and these days probably be the only person in the room with an OQ. Once again welcome back my friend.
cheers.gif

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approve? Not quite. Put down the pitchfork? Yes. Consider me "in the clear."
Glad to hear you survived adding the GMT to your growing collection! Wishing you luck on whatever the next addition might be...although plan ahead, next time buy her something nice, first. Then how can she stay annoyed?
cheers.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing around with my new iPhone lensmag...

Excuse the indulgence.

ff7eb759ca97956f6f4f7334edf4a163.jpg

87671990bf6b84265535663a2b84d519.jpg

223d40dd69481540cfbcda10f45034fd.jpg

b729ee647c0ceabb69410a95d79f6917.jpg

Last edited:

tigerpac

Reaction score
Saw this come up on Hodinkee and wanted to hear some other opinions: Zeitwinkel 273 Fume: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/the-zeitwinkel-273-saphir-fume-2

I'd never really heard of them before, and I tend not to like the skeletonized look in general. Then I read a bit more and caught a few more pics of it and it's started to creep into my brain. I realize there's a lot of competition at the pricepoint (~$14000 USD) , but for a small independent watch brand w/ an in-house movement and that finishing level it seems like not an unreasonable price.

Thoughts?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here dealt with Alex Pig Timepieces, based in HK?

He sells on Chrono24, as well as from his own website, and he has a lot of very nice-looking watches, including a large collection of second-hand Rolex watches for sale.

Some of the prices appear to be excellent, particularly for some of the Datejust models (considerably below below what I would have thought), whereas prices for some other pieces (such as Pepsi-bezel GMT IIs) appear to be too high (at least as far as my limited knowledge extends).

http://alexpig.com/collections/watches/rolex

Any thoughts/opinions/observations/experiences are welcome.

I stumbled upon him while idly searching for vintage Datejust models and thought that some of the prices looked too good to be true.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stiches - awesome macros man. Never noticed there was so much intricacy with the patisserie dial, but I shouldn't be surprised given it's an AP. Still awesome to see.

Sweden - nice AT. I've been eyeing the split minute version for some time..

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Belli - welcome back and glad your travels have been great!

Stitchy - those pics are AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads