• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmeis

Reaction score

What's everyone's favorite new watch from basel that isn't Rolex, Omega or Patek?

Probably this which I will preorder on Monday as a funky partner for my Sub.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nomos is on the list for sure.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's everyone's favorite new watch from basel that isn't Rolex, Omega or Patek?

So far the only ones that move me the right way are the Globemaster and the 62GS Limited editions. Everything else seems kinda cartoony. The new Pelagos would be nice but it's in Ty-D-Bol Blue. That's the wrong sort of nautical.

The new Yachtmaster is frustrating because it shows how stunning it could be with a bezel insert. I've always liked the shape of the Yachtmaster case, with its unbroken curves from the crown guards to the top of the case. But I'll never own one, especially now when it looks like it's been miscegenation with an Offshore.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Here are a few of mine from most affordable to, ahem, divorced:​

Longines

Zenith Elite

Patek Split Seconds Chrono

Ulysse Nardin Anchor Tourbillon

Breguet Tradition Répétition Minutes Tourbillon 7087

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Longines design... Wow.

I really am interested in the new Rolex YM - I bet it's pretty fantastic in person and I bet the Oysterflex strap is out of this world. Personally I'll never buy it but I can appreciate what Rolex did here.

The Omega Snoopy is a great looking watch and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person, or on Frill's wrist first :D

The Globemaster just does nothing for me. I love Omega but the Pie-pan design is something I've never warmed up to.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I'm in love with that Longines Pulsometer.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I really loved the Zenith, would have been my favorite except for the size.

tigerpac

Reaction score
^Would have like 40 or 41mm better myself but willing to see how it sits on the wrist. More importantly it seems a tad thick over 10mm if I'm remembering correctly.

Dachshund

Reaction score
Of that bunch, I really like the UN and the Breguet, neither of which brands seem to get a lot of love on TWAT. Any particular reason for that?

tigerpac

Reaction score
Of that bunch, I really like the UN and the Breguet, neither of which brands seem to get a lot of love on TWAT. Any particular reason for that?

I thought every post not rolex, omega or patek was automatically deleted.
peepwall[1].gif

But seriously, I think UN gets flack for some of their 'less traditional' designs. I think some people tune them out even when they have something nice. I try to fight this urge but think it creeps in.

Breguet gets the swatch bump down. All swatch brands are seemingly knocked down 1/2 a peg for whatever reason.

As for the watches, I think that UN is beautiful, the Breguet is too busy for me but I do like a lot of their stuff.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought every post not rolex, omega or patek was automatically deleted.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

But seriously, I think UN gets flack for some of their 'less traditional' designs. I think some people tune them out even when they have something nice. I try to fight this urge but think it creeps in.

Breguet gets the swatch bump down. All swatch brands are seemingly knocked down 1/2 a peg for whatever reason.

As for the watches, I think that UN is beautiful, the Breguet is too busy for me but I do like a lot of their stuff.

Hahahah @tigerpac - to be fair, AP gets a lot of love on TWAT too.

And Omega is owned by Swatch too, so that might contradict your first statement/assessment...

Breguet is an interesting case. I think they make a lot of beautiful stuff, but word on the street from friends in the industry is that they are REALLY having a hard time moving inventory in the US right now. Much of this might be armchair hype, but at least a couple of friends who cover the industry via media channels say they won't be surprised if Breguet closes a few of its boutiques and AD contracts this year.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Hahahah @tigerpac - to be fair, AP gets a lot of love on TWAT too.

And Omega is owned by Swatch too, so that might contradict your first statement/assessment...

Breguet is an interesting case. I think they make a lot of beautiful stuff, but word on the street from friends in the industry is that they are REALLY having a hard time moving inventory in the US right now. Much of this might be armchair hype, but at least a couple of friends who cover the industry via media channels say they won't be surprised if Breguet closes a few of its boutiques and AD contracts this year.

You are correct sir, forgot AP :)

Think Omega still gets a bit of a prestige handicap being owned by Swatch, even if we like to talk about them a lot on here. I like a lot of their designs myself, so that works for me lol.

Interesting about Breguet, thanks for the info. They often make the short list for me but I've never pulled the trigger on them. Always a bride maid I guess. It is a interesting dynamic with them and Blancpain for swatch. They share some of the same price ranges and styles. Then yes they have some vastly different stuff as well. But the difference is much less than, VC and ALS for Richemont imo.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really love UN's designs, but a friend of mine wanted something different and bought a brand new one several years ago from an AD. In the first 2 years of ownership the watch went back for warranty work 3 times. My friend seriously regretted not purchasing something more mainstream.

It could simply have been a lemon, but after that experience, I really had not interest in owning one. I suppose for the cost of many of their watches their are just other watches I'd rather own.

Breguet makes a very nice watch but as others said, they do tend to get knocked for being a Swatch owned company. A friend in the industry thinks they offer a very good value compared to some of the usual big name brands. A few issues I have with some of their models are the lugs look too thin relative to the case particularly once the case is 38mm or larger, their dials are often hit or miss, in addition, they do beautiful guilloche work but sometimes when they sign the dial with their name and the watch number, they do it in a way that detracts from the watch (they have one model where they put the name and number in an oval that for me ruins the dial), then I still find for the cost there are other watches that speak to me more than Breguet. I would be happy own a Breguet someday, but it would probably be after a few other watches are already in my collection.

I've also heard things in the US are slow in terms of sales of high end watches, and not just for Breguet. That comes from an AD that carries BP, Cartier, UN, IWC, Breguet, VC, Panerai and a bunch of other brands. He said part of it has to do with the really harsh winter that the East Coast has seen this year, but he he has heard similar things from dealers of other luxury goods outside the east coast.

It is a interesting dynamic with them and Blancpain for swatch. They share some of the same price ranges and styles.
Blanpain makes a high quality watch, but I always find myself bored with their designs. Unlike Breguet, they just don't make anything I've ever really wanted to own. One former BP AD near us was always giving smoking hot deals on them because they couldn't move them.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of tweezers should one get to change the bracelet on Speedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads