• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dino - Tell us naow!!!

Belli - Looks great, time to do some peeling.

Dach - Congrats!

Nemo - I hate you too, so I guess it all works out! :)

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been away for a while but I'm back boys. Spent the last few months moving cross country for a job and selling off my Cartier Santos, Nomos Ludwig, Omega Seamaster Pro and my Frederique Constant to get...
SEL, lug holes, tritium. The exact one I wanted!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're certainly investing heavily; just seen a boutique upgrade where I live. What's bothered me most about MB until now has been their complete lack of distinct personality. MB pens are distinctive, but their watches seem to be derivative of a dozen different makers. Sure, most classically-styled watches seem to be derivative of something, and that's often the point, but nevertheless, most makers manage to project their own individual design language throughout their range. MB looks like anything from Blancpain to Tissot, with the only defining factor being the oddly inflated cases to make them "modern".
fistbump.gif
Spot on Mimo!

rotflmao.gif
Mimo, you are always cracking me up! Thanks for the laughs!
Its definitely not that momentous... but putting it on my wrist put a smile on my face.

Funny thing is I've seen that movie. I was a kid and my Dad found it on some TV station that shows movies from the 1950s and 1960s.
Woa.. say more?
It was a bit spur of the moment. I liked this watch, but didn't come up with the idea to look for one until Tuesday night (while I was snowed in by a blizzard). All the recent talk of the CHF and its affect on the watch industry was also a bit of motivation to add this piece before a possible price increase.

Dino - Tell us naow!!!
I'll share a hint. It sort of brings me back to the beginning of my journey collecting. This is the modern but spiritual successor to my first "Good watch."

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been away for a while but I'm back boys. Spent the last few months moving cross country for a job and selling off my Cartier Santos, Nomos Ludwig, Omega Seamaster Pro and my Frederique Constant to get...
Excellent choice. I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. The pre-ceramic GMT II is the best watch ever made for a normal person. :cheers:

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll share a hint.  It sort of brings me back to the beginning of my journey collecting.  This is the modern but spiritual successor to my first "Good watch."  

Cool, congrats on the incoming 116710 BLNR. What do I win for guessing correctly? :D

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

inlove.gif
Congrats that's a classic! Love the Pepsi GMT. Enjoy it !!!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Haha...my guess too!

Amd Dino, we have different definitions of "momentous".
1f609.png

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll share a hint.  It sort of brings me back to the beginning of my journey collecting.  This is the modern but spiritual successor to my first "Good watch."

I got nuthin. : (

---

MZ, that is superb.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice.

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. The pre-ceramic GMT II is the best watch ever made for a normal person.

cheers.gif

Well I've been thinking it's the best watch for me at least. I love the look of old GMTs after years and years of fading, I love the classic bones of it and the idea that it can be used for just about everything except diving. I had a watchbox full of watches I really liked but wanted one that I'd take with me or pass down and I wanted to someday be that old guy at the cafe drinking espresso with my sun-bleached GMT still ticking away so why not consolidate and start accumulating those dings now right?

I saved the Basculante and the Longines Spirit Chrono from the axe and now I've got a nice round three to move forward with.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino's first good watch from my memory is when he ate a ton of Ramen and bought a Daytona in the 1990s. Spiritual successor confuses me slightly in that I thought about the BLNR but think it is something else. Considering that I think he went the Zenith route since the old Daytona's used a Zenith based movement. I forget if he has spoken on Zenith but it is slightly a successor I suppose.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Well I've been thinking it's the best watch for me at least. I love the look of old GMTs after years and years of fading, I love the classic bones of it and the idea that it can be used for just about everything except diving. I had a watchbox full of watches I really liked but wanted one that I'd take with me or pass down and I wanted to someday be that old guy at the cafe drinking espresso with my sun-bleached GMT still ticking away so why not consolidate and start accumulating those dings now right?

Amen, and likewise, which is why a well-worn Pepsi is the next one on my list.

suaviter

Reaction score
Excellent choice.

I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. The pre-ceramic GMT II is the best watch ever made for a normal person.

cheers.gif

Since Pepsi is the topic of discussion (and something I've also been thinking about lately) can you give us a quick distinction between the 16750 & 16710?

Thx in advance sir.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, I was about to ask you post that pic in the hopes that it would incentivize MZ to add a super jubilee to his collection. It is really so perfect on the pepsi.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol, I was about to ask you post that pic in the hopes that it would incentivize MZ to add a super jubilee to his collection. It is really so perfect on the pepsi.
It really does look amazing on the jubilee and it is something I will have to source one more "fun" funds are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads