• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That deployant style is most popular on Tags. Tag also has one of the best designs when it comes to micro adjustments, you just slide it on any position on the leather.

Last edited:

TradThrifter

Reaction score
Hey guys, can you give career advice? How do you get to the point where you can afford AP, PP, VC, JLC, ALS, IWC etc. I am 24 years now. Very little savings , work all day. Thanks.

chanoch

Reaction score
Hey guys, can you give career advice? How do you get to the point where you can afford AP, PP, VC, JLC, ALS, IWC etc. I am 24 years now. Very little savings , work all day. Thanks.
Not sure how much you'll make, but I can give you the same advice I give my staff and colleagues regarding career development: always give added value to your clients -- but don't expect to be paid for it until your next job or assignment. The added-value work will always pay off, as it will separate you from the others doing the same job as you. People who give added-value always advance until they reach their potential, and they learn not to grumble about being underpaid in their current job, because they know that they'll be compensated for that work in their next one, where the added-value will be part of their core function.

Best of luck ...

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Find a wife who can afford it...I just had to put a ring on it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey guys, can you give career advice? How do you get to the point where you can afford AP, PP, VC, JLC, ALS, IWC etc. I am 24 years now. Very little savings , work all day. Thanks.

^^
That's your problem. Don't strive to get to the point where you can "afford" AP, PP, VC, JLC, ALS, IWC etc.
Strive to be successful. All of other "spoils" will come IF that is what you feel makes you successful/etc.

WSW

Reaction score

Lovely watches all.

Do you know if the AP Jules Audemars Chrono that you tried was an integrated chronograph or a modular chronograph? I love APs (have a RO Dualtime and have long coveted the Jules Audemars Extra Thing, ROO Diver and RO Jumbo), but my longstanding quibble with them is that they tend to use modular chronograph movements for their Offshore and Jules Audemars collections. Last I looked the Jules Audemars chrono had a modular movement; in fact that looks like a calibre 3120 movement (with chrono module added). The only integrated chronograph movement they appear to use is in the RO Chrono (F. Piguet movement). Given the prices they charge, I would prefer an in-house integrated column wheel movement. I realise that much of the cost is due to things like the excellent movement finishing and detailing, but given that their competition among the Big Three+Lange and even among the less august manufactures (e.g. JLC, IWC, etc.) have developed their own in-house integrated column wheel movements, makes me wish that AP would do the same.

I think Dino has it right, in that this is a modular chronograph. If you look at the movement, it closely resembles that of the AP Offshore Chronos. There was a relatively recent post on Hodinkee that covered exactly what you are discussing. Among other high-end manufacturers, VC uses the same movement while Patek has their own in-house movement at twice the price. I had a chance to handle the Nautilus Chrono at the same event and while it is very nice, I didn't see the value proposition for paying twice as much just for the in-house movement. Personally for me, I actually thought the AP Chrono's dial, case and bracelet were better than that of the Nautilus Chrono. Blancpain and GO recently came out with new fly-back chronos for their sport watches that look promising but they are too new to the market to know for sure how they rate against the F. Piguet and the Nautilus Chrono.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads