• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Phuket for my brother-in-laws wedding. Not SF-approved wedding attire, but at >32 C (>90 F) and 100% humidity, no one except the groom and the wedding party are in formal attire!

Last edited:

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Saxonia Thin and AP JA Extra Thin felt just that little bit too formal for my needs/life style, with only 2 hands and very plain dials. Now the (long) wait until enough investments have matured that I have a little bit of spare change! :confused: Here's a photo from watchprosite.com (my own iPhone photos just didn't do the watch justice):

An excellent choice, but my goodness, the Saxonia Thin is spectacular in its simplicity. And this is coming from someone with a Patek 3919, (which has small seconds dial).

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An excellent choice, but my goodness, the Saxonia Thin is spectacular in its simplicity. And this is coming from someone with a Patek 3919, (which has small seconds dial).

Objectively, I whole-heatedly agree. I thought both the Lange Saxonia Thin and AP JA extra thin are beautiful. However, the 1815 spoke to me more strongly and would be a watch I could wear about 75% of the time (save with jeans and t-shirt or beachwear), whereas the two ultra thins would spend much more of their life in the lockbox.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could use your opinion and some facts.

For my 40th birthday my wife purchased me a Rolex Datejust Gold & Steel Watch and I love it. I wear suits 5 days a week and it compliments the look of a good
suit.

I have for some time considered buying a vintage Rolex Submariner 1680 from 1973 (the year. I was born)...but then I came across another watch that struck eye.

The Rolex GMT Brown and Gold Bezel. I saw one online with a brown leather band and it just looked cool. I saw that watch as a great match for many of my blue, tan, brown and olive suits. Can anyone tell me what years the brown and gold bezel GMTs were made and your thoughts on the watch itself. Finally your thoughts on that watch versus the Sub.

Many thanks.

Signed the guy who still thinks Rolexes are cool

I like the look of it but only without the bracelet. It seems like a little overkill with the yellow gold. If it sings to you then get it!

CTLION

Reaction score

I like the look of it but only without the bracelet.  It seems like a little overkill with the yellow gold.  If it sings to you then get it!

If I bought it I would ditch the steel and gold bracelet and substitute a dark leather strap. I have seen some pics of this watch with a brown strap and it really makes it look unique. That combo with the suits I wear with brown shoes could look really sharp. I am still a bit torn, but what appeals to me is that the look would be unique.

dbln79

Reaction score
New shoes for the Dualtime.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I'm in love with Lume lately. I wonder, does anyone know about Deep Blue's newer Swiss automatic tritium watches?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the look of it but only without the bracelet.  It seems like a little overkill with the yellow gold.  If it sings to you then get it!

If I bought it I would ditch the steel and gold bracelet and substitute a dark leather strap. I have seen some pics of this watch with a brown strap and it really makes it look unique. That combo with the suits I wear with brown shoes could look really sharp. I am still a bit torn, but what appeals to me is that the look would be unique.

Embrace the root beer. 10 out of 10 times I'd pick a steel sub over the bronze GMT but it sings to me for some reason.

I've got a thing for GMTs.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For some reason I'm in love with Lume lately. I wonder, does anyone know about Deep Blue's newer Swiss automatic tritium watches?

You might wanna check into the lifespan of tritium gas tubes, they're only about 12 years. But I've always wondered is whether or not these manufacturers that are selling high-end watches with tritium tubes will offer to replace them.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You might wanna check into the lifespan of tritium gas tubes, they're only about 12 years. But I've always wondered is whether or not these manufacturers that are selling high-end watches with tritium tubes will offer to replace them.

excellent point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads