• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmalik

Reaction score

i had some free time and its 80 degrees and sunny out so i snapped some pics of my new 29...

(pics are much better when you click on em)

beautiful watch

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Is there no limit to how cool that man can be?

GDL, get in here and show us!

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to let's see one

There is something about Sarpaneva's style that lingers in my brain. A certain outspokenness, bold, playful and mysterious without going over the top.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do those bad boys run?

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe they start at about $10k USD for his most basic. If I recall correctly, the moon phase shown here are quite a bit more.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thoughts on this GP for something thin/dressy?

It's only 38mm and rose gold, but I kinda like it.

Brilliant call on the blue seconds hand, IMO, though I'd probably rather not have the day-counter.

Has nice display back, speaking of display backs. (Pics courtesy of Bernard).

Whatcha think? Too boring? Too reminiscent of a Patrimony or Altiplano?

One argument that I could see, is that for this type of watch, it would be easy to find something vintage that would be pretty similar, for probably half the price. But I'd say most of those pieces would be more like 35-ish mm, and would not have sapphire, a modern movement, a warranty, etc.

The other thing is, Girard-Perreguax certainly has some horological chops and some legitimate history, but as a brand I don't feel there's a whole lotta love out there.

Just curious what y'all might feel on this one...totally "tyre-kicking" on my part, a la mimo.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a beauty! I've always had a soft spot for the Portofino and in RG but it quite different from that GP. Was thinking there was discussion on GP's taking a big hit on the secondary market as well if that is a concern. It seems TWATers tend to want some resale value unless it is a legacy piece to pass down or was given to them by a loved one to commemorate a specific occasion.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gorgeous. id wear it with pride.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gorgeous. id wear it with pride.
Spot on my maaaaannn
fistbump.gif

Keith, for the right price, I'd buy it and enjoy it. It is a great modern size....I think for a dress watch 38 is about perfect. I myself have looked at their 1966 line a few times. I think the MSRP on a new GP is one of the main issues many people have with GP, as they just don't hold much resale value. But if you are going to wear it and enjoy it, I'd choose it over many other brands.

If one is dealing from MSRP...then I favor an Altiplano over GP I think the finish on a Piaget is finer (although now I'd be talking about an manual wind Piaget vs. an automatic GP, as I find the automatic Altiplano gets too large and thin and looks like a pancake on a strap). In addition, while GP has a good rep with many movements, I know some of their lesser watches have used very ordinary base movements from other companies.

But again for the right $$$ I'd gladly pick up a GP.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like that Keith. It is a lovely watch. My problem with GP is that for the price they are asking, you are getting close to Patek, AL&S, and Vacheron territory. At the right price, I think it would be great. But often there are other watches that I would consider in the same price range that they are in.

Also, as Dino mentioned, there finishing is not quite up to snuff with some of the "higher-ups," and they often source their movements from third parties--not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

By the way, I am in your neck of the woods for the rest of the week Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads