• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
+1 Cleav, nice pickup.

Frilly: sharp as ever.

Dino: thanks for the additional information (movement, etc) ....only adds to the appeal.

Qubed: I like your Nomos....wonderful simplicity....especially in contrast with your socks LOL.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in London in May I joined the waiting list for a blue 5711. I got the email this morning that I've reached the top of the list and they had one available. Unfortunately I wrecked my car last month and had to get a new one...back to the bottom of the list. Bummer

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in London in May I joined the waiting list for a blue 5711. I got the email this morning that I've reached the top of the list and they had one available. Unfortunately I wrecked my car last month and had to get a new one...back to the bottom of the list. Bummer
Sorry to hear that. It looks like you live in the US. I know availability can be different in various countries, but in the States they are not that hard to get particularly if you call around or travel a bit. So I am sure when you are ready you should be able to find a 5711 without too much hardship. Its been over year since I heard of a wait list that had a substantial wait. Toward the end of last year, I went to Las Vegas and between the 2 or 3 Patek ADs there, every steel Nautilus model was sitting in a showcase at one of the shops and available for purchase. Hopefully, when you are ready you will be able to source one without much trouble.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This week, in "Watches Keith T Desires For No Apparent Reason"....

I present the Audemars Piguet Millenary, white gold, and in whatever-the-hell shade of blue this is:

Crazy expensive? Check.

But is it an oddly-shaped case? Check again.

Does it have a contrast-stitched strap that sticks out like a sore thumb? Cheeeeeck.

The dial: asymmetrical as f*ck? You better check yo self.

Can AP make it in a color that's .....more or less.... effeminate? Mais oui, check.

How about a mix of Romans and Arabics? Check engine light.

Would the re-sale value be a complete bloodbath? Check-o-slo-vakia.

Why on earth should I ever take a liking to this particular watch?

It makes no sense. None!

Anybody seen this one in person? I know we talked a bunch of AP (mainly Royal Oak stuff) last week, but what do TWAT contributors think of the Millenary in general?

STUPID WATCH HOBBY.

Not that I'm going to run out and buy it. Obviously. But I'm telling you, I reeeeaaaalllly dig it. Just don't know why.

Damned if I don't also like one of the skeleton versions too, which is pretty much a two-tone look (gasp!) ....clicky here, many watches in this collection....

http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa...ry/millenary-selfwinding/15350ST.OO.D002CR.01

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that blue is barf. otherwise i like some of the millenary models.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I like some of the Millenary models as well, but I do not like that color palette.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy my GF a watch for Christmas, all I know is that she would like a chrome, non-bling watch. Round, and not too big.

Any ideas? No need for automatic. I have 200$ bucks.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I'm going to buy my GF a watch for Christmas, all I know is that she would like a chrome, non-bling watch. Round, and not too big. 

Any ideas? No need for automatic. I have 200$ bucks. 

I would probably start at Fossil. Should have a ton of options in that range and below. Get the same watches as the "designer brands" without the mark-up.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that blue is barf. otherwise i like some of the millenary models.

The only Millenary I've ever liked is the long discontinued Star Wheel (Jump hour) version. That was a cool watch.

I'll be getting my wife a Rolex Date watch for our anniversary.

Happy anniversary and congrats! I'm sure the Mrs. will enjoy it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino :) It's not for a little while yet, but I like to get my shopping done early. I recently bought myself a Tudor Prince Date, so the wife needs an even better watch ;)

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey KT not sure about the blue but I get it...

kungapa

Reaction score

I would probably start at Fossil. Should have a ton of options in that range and below. Get the same watches as the "designer brands" without the mark-up.

And here I thought Fossil was a mass-market mall fashion "designer brand"...

...unless with "designer brands" you mean the like of Michael Kors or Calvin Klein. Though I fail to see the difference between Fossil and "designer brands" in that case.

For $200 and mechanical you would likely be restricted to Chinese or Japanese movements - perhaps a seagull:

http://www.seagull1963.com/

or perhaps a mechanical Seiko of some sort.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Never mind, guys. Wouldn't you know it, Bowie explained it all to me on the way home from work (listening to XM Radio), so it's all good: Don't you wonder sometimes 'Bout sound and vision Blue, blue, electric blue That's the colour of my room Where I will live Blue, blue Pale blinds drawn all day Nothing to do, nothing to say Blue, blue I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound and vision And I will sing, waiting for the gift of sound and vision Drifting into my solitude, over my head Don't you wonder sometimes 'Bout sound and vision Fair warning: short attention spanners, the lyrics don't kick in until about the 1:30 mark, and that guitar riff absolutely WILL get stuck in your head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads