• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbln79

Reaction score
I don't use the GMT function but I love my JLC Dualtime/Hometime:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so much to catch up on! :bounce2:
Oh thank you sir. Reading this thread at this point would be like something of a very, very long novel. I am pleased to say I have read every page. Gosh that it is a lot of pages.
i think i have read it all also, but im not sure. i may have done some scanning through some parts, lol.
Stitchy, I've been out on vacation since 7/6.... and my eyes are now watering from about 20 pages of TWAT catch-up...
(OMG did I just create a new condiment? Y'all know what I mean.) ...but anyway +1 on the new piece ....definitely want to see a wrist shot ASAP. I will simply add for now that I love the blue dial/red accent combo (reminds me of the Monaco) and it's great that this one will "scratch the datejust itch" for you. Being totally honest, the one thing that bugs me about the TOG is the fluted bezel with numbers. I realize that's the whole point, just not crazy about it. Just me. And that's not to rain on your parade, I swear. Very happy for you, mayne. And you got a BONUS coming your way, too? Must be livin' right.
thanks, keith. i hear ya about the fluted bezel (dressy) + numbers (sporty). but i think it fits with the overall look of the watch very well.
Mate, you are one of the few lucky blokes working at where your hobby is at!
for the most part :slayer: but sometimes its :fu: its not always fun and games. it is a job after all. but im very happy and thankful to have landed where i did. it wasnt always this way for me.
send a wrist shot when it's in your possession. great choice, the TOG is really nice.
thanks! i certainly will.
It's a great look - can't blame you for falling in love with that beautiful blue dial and red accents! 'Grats again - on the watch and the incoming bonus!
Haven't shared that tidbit with my TWAT brothers, so here goes: after 15 years in the US of A, finally became eligible for citizenship and took the oath this morning. Bam! In the words of that famous US citizen M.C. Hammer, I guess I had to prove I was legit! Too legit to quit!
thanks! and congrats again to you!!!!
Hey Frills, congrats on becoming a citizen! I just noticed that your suit, shirt, and tie are nearly a perfect match for Stitchy's new Turn-O-Graph!
now, if i find an outfit to match one of his PPs, we can do a trade!! BRILLIANT!!!
Just finished reading your little blurb stitchy--great story!
I think you made the right decision. The blue dial and red accents on the ToG are just spectacular. I cannot believe I never that watch even existed. And you know, the funny thing about the one that got away is that sometimes she is not as great as you remember. Although I know that you always missed your old DJ, I think that this one is the perfect marriage between new and old. I think it will bring you lots of joy! The bracelet is a huge part of a sports watch, and if you do not love it, that is a bit bummer. I could see it be very difficult to get rid of a Rolex. I think that I could bear with losing my JLC MUT Moon over my Speedmaster. Although I certainly prefer my MUT Moon, as it is objectively a better watch, I love the fact that I can strap on the Speedmaster and do whatever I want with it.
I look forward to seeing some wrist pics! Especially some comparison pics with your PAM.
thanks again, so glad you enjoyed. excellent points there about things not always be quite what we remember them. ill try to write up a comparison post of babies after the new addition gets some wear time. im still trying to figure out how i will give them equal time. gotta be fair.
Absolutely stunning! Congrats!
thanks, dude!
Question from a long-time lurker:
I travel a fair amount and have been looking for a good work watch that helps me juggle different time zones. I picked up the new white dial Explorer II (I'm a Rolex fan - I have a Daytona and Sub) but the GMT feature isn't doing it for me. I find myself "calculating" what time it is in the other city and I don't need a complication to do that (unless I'm in India where they are a half hour off UTC - usually I'm so jet lagged when I'm there that knowing what time it is back home is the least of my worries). I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my brain isn't wired to work with a GMT watch. So that leads me to dual time watches. I plan to look at the AP RO Dual Time (I know there's a lot of love for the RO among this group and I appreciate the craftsmanship but I've never been drawn to them before now) and a couple of the JLCs (Dual Time, World Geographic and Reverso Duo). Thoughts on these? Any others I should check out? Thanks.
im slightly biased, but i love the JLC squadra hometime. :)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im slightly biased, but i love the JLC squadra hometime.
smile.gif

+1.

Speaking of JLC, I may just get myself another Jaeger LeCoultre because of how awesome I thought Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" was. Kaiju versus Jaegers - BOOM!

Disclaimer: I grew up in Asia on a steady diet of Godzilla, Mothra, Voltes V, Daimos, Mazinger Z, etc. I'm positively biased towards the themes from Pacific Rim.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
frilly, back up for a second. "another Jaeger LeCoultre" you say. what JLC(s) do you have now? i only know of your daytona and 3 PPs off the top of my head.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frilly, back up for a second. "another Jaeger LeCoultre" you say. what JLC(s) do you have now? i only know of your daytona and 3 PPs off the top of my head.

Ah, true - I did get one JLC but it was for the missus. Guess what it was? And guess where I got the idea?

That's right, Mr Squadra fan. You.
biggrin.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, lol. i well remember that fantastic and well advised *cough cough haha* purchase.

i thought you meant you had some of your own. now, i know that you and your mrs share some of the frilly family time pieces, but i would imagine, and hope, that that particular JLC does not get any wrist time from you. : )

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this to Pacific Rim, thought it was fitting both in namesake and in theme: I went to see it on Thursday night by myself, I'm a HUGE fan of the genre (Godzilla, Mazinger, Grendizer etc..), and while I wanted to love it (been waiting for it for over a year!) I was a little disappointed by some of the very dark action sequences (too much water/night time fighting), as well as lack of any real character development (and I'm not one to normally harp on this kind of thing..). Im a huge del toro fan though, and we certainly had glimpses of greatness through the movie. Hopefully it makes enough to warrant a sequel!
+1. Speaking of JLC, I may just get myself another Jaeger LeCoultre because of how awesome I thought Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" was. Kaiju versus Jaegers - BOOM! Disclaimer: I grew up in Asia on a steady diet of Godzilla, Mothra, Voltes V, Daimos, Mazinger Z, etc. I'm positively biased towards the themes from Pacific Rim.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love that JLC.

speaking of Guillermo del Toro, pans labyrinth is one of my favorite movies all time. amazing. i may watch it today as a matter of fact.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Stitches - Love the blue dial with red accents. That really pops for a DJ and stands out well. I actually like that one a lot.

Frills - Congrats on citizenship! I have had a couple friends recently become citizens. They threw big parties. Both were of Asian decent as well.

So yesterday I put my name on the short list for the new Blue/Black GMT. Did you guys know it has the nickname of "The Bruiser"? I told the guy I hadn't heard that but this is the only watch section I keep track of these days. They also have a Green bezel and face Sub. I am waiting on the GMT to come in as I work right around the corner so he said he would call everyone on the list and it is first come first serve. So I may be the owner of a new GMT soon but will not take possession until next April as it is a wedding gift from my fiancee.

I did have a question though. I have thought of waiting as I recently read a post on another website about some Canadian ADs offering discounts of up to 25% on Subs? Getting some brand new OTD for low 7's. Anyone heard of this? The reason I ask is that I am going to Montreal in a couple of months and may hold off on a Rolex purchase until then if this is true. May have to worry about import tax of some sort but I assume I could wear the watch back and ship the box to myself? If this is the case then I may wait and hold off on the GMT and get a Sub instead if discounts are that great.

The obvious question is which one is my heart set on more? A Black Sub does nothing for me but a Blue/Gold or Green sub are nice. As for GMTs I doubt they will be offering discounts on the new release of the GMT. Decisions decisions....

Don't know if we can cross post to other forums but here it is on WUS. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/just-bought-new-sub-c-25percent-off-875936.html

Last edited:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So that leads me to dual time watches. I plan to look at the AP RO Dual Time (I know there's a lot of love for the RO among this group and I appreciate the craftsmanship but I've never been drawn to them before now) and a couple of the JLCs (Dual Time, World Geographic and Reverso Duo). Thoughts on these? Any others I should check out? Thanks.

My favorite dual time watch... http://www.ochsundjunior.ch/watches/two-time-zones/design/

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I am not sure it is my favorite aesthetically, that may be the most useful dual time watch ever known to man kind.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
JB: Looks like we have a likely contender to be the first blue/black GMT owner! I kind of like it more with the nickname too: maybe from the expression "beat someone black and blue". The watch of jet-setting thuggery?

Scott, that OJ is way cool. But I have to say the H&C Nomad, that I've never seen before, blew me away (thanks for that, mreister!)

Frilly: I know you're an educated man, but just for completeness: "jaeger" (from "jäger") is the German word for hunter - similar word in some other European languages.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I am not about to deny anyone their justification for buying a new watch, Is there any logical reason why a GMT watch can't be used as a dual time watch? When you're away from home set the GMT hand to home time and the 12 hour hand to local time.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I am not about to deny anyone their justification for buying a new watch, Is there any logical reason why a GMT watch can't be used as a dual time watch? When you're away from home set the GMT hand to home time and the 12 hour hand to local time.

I can't think of any, GMT is designed for that, I guess a dual zone zone might slightly easier to read, but both takes time to adjust when flying to locations with different time zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads