• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of awesome. Can't help but notice that Frilly's not here...maybe he's....

... at Sotheby's preparing his bid!

Oh yeah... those 3970s do have that dot between 1 and 31, huh. It's interesting how these subtle differences crop up across series. For example, the piece I have does not have that little dot, but I have the sculpted baton markers:

Which I like more than the stick markers from the photos above. Although Belligero will probably point out that my piece has the more lifeless sans serif font for the day and month versus the more stylized font used in the Sotheby's pieces.

But where was I? I was actually in Las Vegas for a few days for a conference. Apparently hiring a car service from the hotel to the airport means you get driven around in something like this (pardon the bad pic, I attribute this to the irrational hold Blackberry still has on me):

I had to get up at 3am Vegas time, and of course there were shops open 24/7, including a watch and jewelry boutique. I've had my fill of "small, elegant" 36mm pieces, and even the AP ROOs in stock didn't do it for me. So, since I figured, heck, since I was in Vegas........

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hahaha you didn't!

Next is the Graham "Chronofighter"....
lol8[1].gif

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody recently mentioned Frederique Constant. Pretentious as hell and trying too hard to be like the major brands on design and looks but without the technical apparatus. Neverthless, I really like mine.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by no frills I had to get up at 3am Vegas time, and of course there were shops open 24/7, including a watch and jewelry boutique. I've had my fill of "small, elegant" 36mm pieces, and even the AP ROOs in stock didn't do it for me. So, since I figured, heck, since I was in Vegas........ [/quote] Interesting choice...a wall clock on a strap. Not my taste ... but congrats & enjoy! Hope you had fun Vegas...Mrs. Dino & I had a blast there last October.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by no frills

I had to get up at 3am Vegas time, and of course there were shops open 24/7, including a watch and jewelry boutique. I've had my fill of "small, elegant" 36mm pieces, and even the AP ROOs in stock didn't do it for me. So, since I figured, heck, since I was in Vegas........

Interesting choice...a wall clock on a strap. Not my taste ... but congrats & enjoy! Hope you had fun Vegas...Mrs. Dino & I had a blast there last October.[/QUOTE]

Hah hah, naw, naw, I didn't get it. I did try it on for fun, though!

dbln79

Reaction score
You probably got a pretty good workout trying it on!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably got a pretty good workout trying it on!
More likely tennis elbow and a hernia.
Hah hah, naw, naw, I didn't get it. I did try it on for fun, though!
Thanks for clarifying that.

I was worried the next thing we would see you wearing would be "pleather" shoes embossed with an alligator print, to go with a new polyester Elvis impersonator jump suit...After all it is Vegas. And what happens in Vegas and is purchased in Vegas, should stay in Vegas.

suaviter

Reaction score
But where was I? I was actually in Las Vegas for a few days for a conference. Apparently hiring a car service from the hotel to the airport means you get driven around in something like this (pardon the bad pic, I attribute this to the irrational hold Blackberry still has on me):

Frilly, any Vegas suggestions (restaurants, etc)? Headed there next week for a friends bachelor party.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frilly, any Vegas suggestions (restaurants, etc)? Headed there next week for a friends bachelor party.

Hey suaviter - it really depends on what you like doing. Vegas offers a smorgasbord of stuff to do, places to eat, shows to watch. There's the gambling scene, but if you're not much into that there are many other things to do. Shows - risque and not - are all over the place. There are shows unique to Vegas like Cirque du Soleil's "O" at the Bellagio, for example: the set is magnificent and Cirque can't exactly replicate the stage on the traveling circuit. My friend swears by the all-you-can-eat buffets, which can be found in most hotels (and some which run 24/7) - of course, he also weighs over 300 pounds. You've got higher end restaurants like Robuchon and Tao (which runs advertisements like the one below, which caught my attention this time around since I stayed at the Venetian this time around, where it's located):

There are shooting ranges, amusement park rides (on top of hotels) - try the slingshot ride at the Stratosphere for a fun thrill. If you just feel like walking and avoiding the heat you can find your way through most hotels and just gawk at the magnificent excess for which Vegas is known: the fountains at the Bellagio, gondola rides at the Venetian, replicas of New York City, etc.

On topic since we're at TWAT: there are several ADs in Vegas who carry great pieces. Tourneau might be a fine first stop for window shopping. Tesorini at the Bellagio offers a more curated selection, IMHO.

There's always the seedier side of Las Vegas and Nevada in general, which I don't necessarily recommend (and all info for which I swear I've obtained through secondary sources)! But perhaps you'll get all the debauchery you'll need from the bachelor's party!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously, not Frills, but what kind of food/price point. I've been to Craftsteak at the MGM a few times and always had a great meal. Pricey but worth it. A bit loud, but if you are going with a bunch of guys its a good place to go to fuel up for the night. Also went to IL Mulino at Caesars and I was really impressed. Usually, I don't like spending a lot on Italian food since pasta is pretty inexpensive, but everything there was fantastic. But it may be too quite of a place if you are going with a bunch of guys. I don't care for buffets and places that require sneeze guards over the food. However, if you go to one, Caesars just spent 20 million revamping there's, and the dessert/crepe station was excellent.

For watch shopping , there is Roman Times in Caesars forum, along with a Breitling Boutique & Chopard Boutique. There is Vicci (they carry AP). There is a Rolex Boutique in the Wynn, along with Boutiques for Omega, Cartier, and Breguet. They also have a high end jewelry store with Patek, and there is a Tourneau somewhere that also has Patek. Then at the Venetian/ Palazzo there are boutiques for Piaget, VC, IWC, and a few others.

Have fun.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would strongly recommend Cut which Is Wolfgang Puck's steakhouse in the Venetian. I had a great dinner there for my best friend's bachelor party and its not typical Wolfgang - more restrained and there are both wet and dry aged options as well as real Japanese wagyu. It's awesome.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchy - than Nomos is growing one me, too.

I have been trying to get a shot of how the crystal case sides of the DeVille Hour Vision can really catch the light even when the watch is on the wrist. This is the best I have been able to do so far:

I have worn this watch each day this week, and as of this morning it was running at +3 seconds - TOTAL - over that time. Very impressive for a 4 1/2 year old watch approaching the time for its first servicing. Omega really did sweat the details in seeking to make these new cal 8500 and 9300 series movements exceptionally accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads