• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is cool...

anyone know what model it is?

Yes - it's the 2009 reissuance of VC's Historique American 1921, also known as the "driver's watch." Put it on your wrist while you're driving and you don't need to cock your head at an angle to read the dial.
smile.gif

I saw this piece being sold at Wempe a few months ago in the mid-$30s (retail). It doesn't look like it lasted very long, it was gone within a couple of weeks.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a beauty.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love this VC

Same here — for me, it's one of their most appealing and distinctive watches.

Another Vacheron Constantin favourite is the Mercator, which was made with a variety of dials with detailed handmade maps in enamel.

(auction photo from watchreporting.com)

tiempo de lujo

I'm not sure whether it would suit my style, but it's a unique watch that I'd love to see in person.

Last edited:

NonServiam

Reaction score
The VC American is super cool! I stopped by my AD wednesday, tried on some dressier watches. The 40mm VC Patrimony was just too large and flat for me, but (as expected) the JLC MUT Moon 39 was right on the money! Sigh, I now have a new desire ... Considering the prices of VC in white gold vs JLC i steel, the outcome of the visit could have been worse though :D

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Have you handled these watches in real life? Do you know what they look like on your wrist?

Take a step back, you don't have to get a watch right now.

You're making just about every single mistake a beginner can make - settling, buying online, rushing into a purchase, buying in/from a country that is not exactly known for giving good prices with watches, basing your decision on reading spec lists (mineral glass vs non mineral glass??), etc.

Just thought this was worth repeating, as it succinctly covers a very frequent topic.

The decision-on-spec-list thing seems to be particularly common. It's not like you're buying some meaningless piece of disposable consumer electronics (well, at least not in most cases); much of the enjoyment of a watch comes from the intangibles. I'm keen on photography, and this type of thing seems to come up frequently on the very few times I'm on a camera forum (I stay the hell away from them except to find older lenses). Mind you, cameras essentially are disposable consumer electronics now, but it's still the intangibles that separate a great one from an impressive-on-paper dud.

Ergonomics, reliability, availability of parts, and feel of operation are hugely important, but there's no meaningful way express these factors on a spec list. Add a bunch of opinionated gear nerds ("equipment measurebators", as Ken Rockwell has so aptly put it), who spend far more time defending their pet camera system online than actually taking photos — therefore dominating the search results — and you can't blame people who are new to the hobby for focusing on the wrong areas.

There was a great piece of satire that sums up this state of affairs recently:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Anyway, don't buy watches on based on their paper specifications is what I'm saying.

Both my favourite camera and my favourite watch both have terrible specs, by the way:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is cool...

anyone know what model it is?
I love the American 1921! Its part of their Historique collection. At the moment, IMHO its their nicest time only watch. Its the perfect size. It has great presence on the wrist, without being ridiculously large. Its probably one of the best modern versions of a vintage design that I've seen. Its also a watch that has to be tried on to truly be appreciated.
Same here — for me, it's one of their most appealing and distinctive watches.

Another Vacheron Constantin favourite is the Mercator, which was made with a variety of dials with detailed handmade maps in enamel.

(auction photo from watchreporting.com)

tiempo de lujo

I'm not sure whether it would suit my style, but it's a unique watch that I'd love to see in person.
A friend of mine purchased a pre-owned Mercator in Platinum. It was in interesting watch, but I can't say that in person I really liked it. The use of the calipers for telling time was cool, but in person something about the watch just left me cold. It may have had the same effect on my friend as he sold it after 2 or 3 years.
The VC American is super cool! I stopped by my AD wednesday, tried on some dressier watches. The 40mm VC Patrimony was just too large and flat for me, but (as expected) the JLC MUT Moon 39 was right on the money! Sigh, I now have a new desire ... Considering the prices of VC in white gold vs JLC i steel, the outcome of the visit could have been worse though
biggrin.gif
I find the 40 mm. VC Patrimony, too large and flat and just resembles a pancake on a strap. If you are looking for something interesting and dress from VC, and it doesn't have to be a round case...check out a 1921 American. Wishing you luck on whatever you decide.
Yes - it's the 2009 reissuance of VC's Historique American 1921, also known as the "driver's watch."

I saw this piece being sold at Wempe a few months ago in the mid-$30s (retail). It doesn't look like it lasted very long, it was gone within a couple of weeks.
Yes, they seem to have a good following and don't sit in stores for very long. I love how the watch looks and feels, but it does start to become a lot of money for a time only watch.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belligero - fantastic picture.
--
the VC id really like to own is one of their retrograde models. i love the symmetry and look of those models.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the VC id really like to own is one of their retrograde models. i love the symmetry and look of those models.
If its the retrograde Patrimony, its a watch that just doesn't work for me. I don't care for the days spelled out and arching across the bottom of the dial. I prefer their Quai De L'ile retrograde annual calendar dial layout, although, I'm not in love with its case shape. So chances are if going for a retrograde watch, I'd opt for a different company's offerings.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If its the retrograde Patrimony, its a watch that just doesn't work for me.  I don't care for the days spelled out and arching across the bottom of the dial.  I prefer their Quai De L'ile retrograde annual calendar dial layout, although, I'm not in love with its case shape.   So chances are if going for a retrograde watch, I'd opt for a different company's offerings. 

yes, i was referring to this, which i quite like.

i dont love the layout of the malte perp calendar retrograde. or the case shape of the Quai De L'ile retrograde annual calendar you mentioned.

but there is also this one i quite like, that might appeal more to you as well.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i was referring to this, which i quite like.

i dont love the layout of the malte perp calendar retrograde. or the case shape of the Quai De L'ile retrograde annual calendar you mentioned.
Yes, I just don't like how they handled the days on that model.

but there is also this one i quite like, that might appeal more to you as well.

I like those retrograde that are from the mid 1990s, far more than the Patrimony or Quai De L'ile. I haven't seen one in person in a while, but they were nice watches.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Appeals to me :)

:slayer:

I like those retrograde that are from the mid 1990s, far more than the Patrimony or Quai De L'ile.  I haven't seen one in person in a while, but they were nice watches. 

i love the RNs. look like the ones on the rolex DJ. also, i believe it has a JLC mvmnt. :)

dbln79

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads