• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

but like Dino said, I gotta worry about taxes...
frown.gif
Take all the time you need, you don't need to rush this decision!! Is the USA TTR1931 really a "LE"? IIRC there was a number - 100 pieces - quoted and I find it a little difficult to imagine they still have stock lying around 2 years on.
I would love to know if anyone's seen JLC forumites complain about this--or if it's a one-off, related to my Shreve salesman's unique capabilities. Thanks!
Hmmm, not noticed anything on the usual fora I've been browsing.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I remember hearing that too, so I was shocked to see it at my local AD

hanskl

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post in this thread..

My late grandfather left me a watch, and I have very little information on it. As far as I can tell the manufacturer is Junghans, but I have not been able to dig up much information on them on the internet.. On the box of the watch it says Starline.

Can you guys help me out with some information on this piece?
fing02[1].gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i recommend a self induced coma to pass the time.

It is coming NEXT WEEK. I think I will pass on the coma for the time being.

Yes this was exactly what I was looking for. Please be as merciless in your critique as possible. I expect the watches I design and the watches I buy to stand up to anything thrown at them.

I agree the finishing could be improved. The chamfering is done by hand according to the atelier but I think they could do better judging by what I've seen from their grande comps.

The symmetry and original layout of the chatons is very attractive in my opinion. It was conceived in 2011 by two grandmasters each with 50 plus years of watchmaking experience.

The geneva stripes were as good as any big 3 watch when I saw them in the flesh.

Price range of this is around 15k USD, so a fair bit less than the top independents.

They have another version with an enamel moonphase, that one is pretty interesting.

Well, 15k USD definitely makes it a fair proposition. Need better pictures to really compare though! Finishing looks more along the JLC line than the Dufour, Patek line. No anglage, which I am a heck of a sucker for.

I'd like to see better photos of the movement, and better photos of that lapis lazuli dial.

The first enamel dial is nice, but not quite at the level of what Le Sentier can achieve. I'd say stick with cloisonne.

Is there any particular reason for a double escapement or screwed gold chatons? Am genuinely curious.

The double escapement is definitely an interesting choice. I don't know how it effects frequency? The resonance aspect would be cool, but the balance wheels are too far apart for it to have to do with resonance (ahhh just noticed you mentioned that in a later post). And I find La Grande Maison's enamelling to be finer, in addition to Patek. This enamelling looks a tad dull. Once again, could be pictures :).

Oh man, good luck on the wait and hope it comes soon. I don't think I would have had the patience to wait that long.  I am totally the kid who would have eaten that one marshmallow versus waiting for two.

Only a week. And I have QUICKLY figured out just how impatient I am. It is embarrassing. I definitely am glad I have not gone the Dornblueth route yet. And I never think I even heard the option of two marshmellows...

Congrats. Though I am disappointed that you won't be watch shopping in Philly; on second thought, you should still shop for a Reverso :devil:

I definitely think I will stop in to check out the Reverso's! I doubt I will be travelling with my watch though...

Congrats!  Looking forward to photos when it arrives. 

Of course, SF will be privy to the first wrist shots :).

Some excellent watches lately guys. Keep up the great work!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only a week. And I have QUICKLY figured out just how impatient I am. It is embarrassing. I definitely am glad I have not gone the Dornblueth route yet. And I never think I even heard the option of two marshmellows...

Oh, Dornblueth!

I very nearly ordered a Quintus, but Dirk informed me that the enamel dial option was no longer being offered*... I sadly had to pass as the enamel dial was what I had my heart set on... never settle, right?

*: the old enameler retired, and the new ones that auditioned were not up to scratch, so enameling is no longer offered. :(

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, Dornblueth!

I very nearly ordered a Quintus, but Dirk informed me that the enamel dial option was no longer being offered*... I sadly had to pass as the enamel dial was what I had my heart set on... never settle, right?

*: the old enameler retired, and the new ones that auditioned were not up to scratch, so enameling is no longer offered. :(

There are still a few Dornies that I would love to own. I stand by my statement that they are one of the best deals out there, in regards to quality, exclusivity, design, and hand work for the price.

mackmittonz

Reaction score

As of tomorrow, I am officially one month into my wait for the MUT Moon. Hopefully it won't take much longer. All paid up, and just waiting on delivery!

I never realized the depth of my impatience! :crazy:

*Edited for clarity, sorry Warren! My initial post barely made sense :).

Were you unable to find a dealer who had it in stock? I though they were really rare as well but I found that there were a good number of ADs. I guess you might be suffering the wait to maintain a relationship with a good dealer...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Its been years since my father bought a product from a Richemont owned company. However, when he buys watches he always needs a shorter strap. With Richemont it always seemed to take several weeks to several months to get a short strap for the watch. By contrast, when my Father purchased Patek's that needed shorter straps, the straps were overnighted to the AD. That was several years ago...maybe Richemont owned companies really don't care about the straps very much. I did stop into Shreves since I ws near by today. Overall nice selection of watches, but their preowned pieces have ridiculous prices. I looked at a "Red Sub"...case and bracelet polished several times, bracelet in lousy condition with a lot of stretch, glowing "pearl" missing from bezel...no box, no papers and they are asking $12,000. There is one across town in much better condition with an asking price that was several thousand less. Not buying one, but wanted to see it anyway. Oh and one of the salesmen was wearing a 1931 Reverso...very handsome watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads