• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Man I gotta get me a Speedy.

Nice caseback action, guys.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Gracias, I enjoy that display back more than the Grande Calendar (which I'm trying to talk myself out of).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all.
Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, and after living most of my life with a couple of forgettable quartz pieces I decided to take the plunge last November to upgrade the collection. Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves: Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market), and I love its aesthetics, workmanship and how its slim 36mm profile slips oh so easily under my shirt cuff. It gives me much joy every time I look at it - probably every few minutes, especially if I'm in a boring meeting. :) Am I a douchebag? Naw, just a guy approaching his 40s who's worked hard all his life, got lucky and got to save some money, and is probably going through a midlife crisis of sorts.
Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.
dont know how i missed this patek. spectacular choice. :slayer: very glad you are enjoying the thread and getting good knowledge from it. rock on!
Man I gotta get me a Speedy. Nice caseback action, guys.
who doesnt! thanks.
Gracias, I enjoy that display back more than the Grande Calendar (which I'm trying to talk myself out of).
thank you. and dont talk yourself out of anything. :)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since case backs seem to be todays theme, here is a quick case back photo from a while ago. Sorry sticker was still on the case back, making a few of the screws (technically nuts) look dirty or blury in the photo. I need to take some better photos of the movement.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fantastic

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone was asking about antimagnetic watches before.

Looks like they just came out with an Omilgauss

Seamaster_Aqua_Terra_300dpi.jpg

Which is apparently super duper antimagnetic.
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/omega-introduces-worlds-first-anti-magnetic-movement

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute - you've been lurking with this beauty in the stable? You need to please share more of your collection! Congrats on an amazing piece. I agree with your sentiments entirely. Getting happiness and joy from ones watch be it a Patek, Jaeger or Casio is what it's all about when alls said and done
Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all. Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, and after living most of my life with a couple of forgettable quartz pieces I decided to take the plunge last November to upgrade the collection. Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves: Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market), and I love its aesthetics, workmanship and how its slim 36mm profile slips oh so easily under my shirt cuff. It gives me much joy every time I look at it - probably every few minutes, especially if I'm in a boring meeting. :) Am I a douchebag? Naw, just a guy approaching his 40s who's worked hard all his life, got lucky and got to save some money, and is probably going through a midlife crisis of sorts. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admittedly not the biggest AP guy personally, but pics like this make it obvious why people go gaga over it. Awesome movement and the rotor is just badass!
Since case backs seem to be todays theme, here is a quick case back photo from a while ago. Sorry sticker was still on the case back, making a few of the screws (technically nuts) look dirty or blury in the photo. I need to take some better photos of the movement.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this very much.

Someone was asking about antimagnetic watches before.

Looks like they just came out with an Omilgauss

http://static.squarespace.com/static/4fa14d3ce4b08a53fa26468e/t/50f836f0e4b0d6b57581602c/1358444275808/Seamaster_Aqua_Terra_300dpi.jpg?format=750w
[img]

Which is apparently super duper antimagnetic.
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/omega-introduces-worlds-first-anti-magnetic-movement[/QUOTE]

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all. Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, ...Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves:

Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market).

Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.
Glad to see you are no longer just a lurker. You should get extra credit for reading all 1100+ pages...I skipped some after finding this thread. I'm sure most people can't tell white gold from platinum...but part of the luxury of splurging for something that is platinum is that its something only you know and can appreciate everytime you feel its heft. Great watch!

Just for you stitches, because you asked. LOL

A bit hard to capture it properly because the bracelet is on, but here you go.
Very nice...always a treat to see what makes a watch tick.
fantastic
Thanks Stitch. The Squadra is a bit thick for me, but a beautifu watch. Seeing all the beautiful JLCs here definitely makes me want to add a Reverso to my collection at some point.
Admittedly not the biggest AP guy personally, but pics like this make it obvious why people go gaga over it. Awesome movement and the rotor is just badass!
Glad you enjoyed the photo of the movement & rotor even if you aren't an AP fan. I've always been impressed with its movement as its one of the thinnest automatic movements that was ever available...and its also special because in its base form it also served as the movement in the original Patek Nautilus and Vacheron's 222. Its the only movement ever to be used by all of the "Big Three."

HEPennypacker

Reaction score

Hi, everyone! Been lurking for months and learned a lot of stuff from you all. Read through all 1,130+ pages (and counting) in this thread, along with some other sites, and after living most of my life with a couple of forgettable quartz pieces I decided to take the plunge last November to upgrade the collection. Started with some classic mechanical pieces, grew restless after a short while so did some trades and upgrades (some of you will know this drill - I went through "the purge" with my clothes and shoes as well). Finally achieved some "peace" with my current collection. Here's one of my faves: Do folks on the street recognize what this is on my wrist? Not really. Can people tell the difference between white gold and the subtle beauty and heft of this platinum beauty? I don't think so. But I know its value (to me, and in the collectors' market), and I love its aesthetics, workmanship and how its slim 36mm profile slips oh so easily under my shirt cuff. It gives me much joy every time I look at it - probably every few minutes, especially if I'm in a boring meeting. :) Am I a douchebag? Naw, just a guy approaching his 40s who's worked hard all his life, got lucky and got to save some money, and is probably going through a midlife crisis of sorts. Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and pictures in this thread. It is much appreciated.
Fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads