• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just bought a watch that has been somewhat of a "grail" watch for me.
It''s a Revue Thommen "Airspeed Altimeter" watch, made in the late 1990's. This watch is one of only two mechanical watches I know of that have an altimeter built into the watch. (The other one is the 1960's vintage Favre Leuba "Bivouac")
It has a hand winding Peseux 7001 movement, and a 30m water resistant titanium case.
These altimeter watches have interested me in part because of my interest in mountaineering. When I first began climbing mountains, Revue Thommen made the standard hand held altimeters used by mountaineers. These mechanical altimeters were fascinating with their jeweled movements and analog dials. These altimeter watches function on the same principles and serve the same function as the classic mountaineer's altimeter I remember fondly from my early climbing days.
I've been looking for either this watch or the Favre Leuba for quite some time now. There weren't many made or either model, and it's been difficult to find one in good condition. Finally, I found a new in box example of the Revue, and snapped it up.
I have not yet received it (It's coming from Europe) but I am pretty excited to finally add a mechanical altimeter watch to my collection. Will take some wrist shots and give my impressions on its functionality when it arrives.

Awesome!! I had been hunting for one of those some time ago, but gave up. I do have a "regular" Airspeed and think it is one of the nicest pilot watch designs out there.
Not mine, but same watch:

Edit: And I also have a Thommen altimeter.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Only borrowed, but still nice.
That's the Zurich, right? I like the look of those even more than the Orion, although I suspect that 40mm is just a shade too big for a dress watch. If I ever get to Wempe in NYC I shall investigate.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wish i hadn't sold my explorer :fu:
seems harder and harder to find one now that doesn't say ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the rehaut

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I wore my SM300 today
cheers.gif

Went and checked out a JLC moon phase at Tourneau today. I was quite surprised at how light it felt on the wrist - $9400 retail on the stainless and $15000ish on the gold.

If youre interested in a JLC MUT Moon 39, I may be willing to part with mine at a much better price
smile.gif

PM me if interested

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome!

pls to make a tumblr, i have that and would gladly follow and reblog you. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tumblr might come - thanks for the heads-up.
The explorer is a 14270 (36mm).

cant wait. pls let me know when you get one going. :)

point1

Reaction score
My new Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control:

Tried on a few different watches, but the new Master Control with its 39 mm case (instead of the old 40 mm case) was the one I fell over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads