• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention some of those same Daytona's they could never give away are now commanding some very prices in the collectors market today.
Yes, and its the same with the vintage Explorer 2 and vintage Milgauss. Dealers couldn't give them away without huge discounts when they were new. Now they command prices far higher than their modern replacements.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and its the same with the vintage Explorer 2 and vintage Milgauss. Dealers couldn't give them away without huge discounts when they were new. Now they command prices far higher than their modern replacements.
What was once unpopular, is now rare and expensive.

bhall41

Reaction score

Beautiful, I prefer the size and second hand one the original though.

Cheers. It actually is the original size (38mm) - the close-up gives the illusion of it being bigger.

bhall41

Reaction score
Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was once unpopular, is now rare and expensive.

one mans garbage....
smile.gif

I think as collectors saw values in the once unpopular manual wind Daytonas rise, they looked toward other less popular "professional models" of the same period as watches that could rise in value over time. Unpopularity, can lead to rarity. As a company sees units aren't selling, they reduce production and purchasers may have seen them as an unpopular items they got relatively cheaply that were not worth babying. So really good condition examples become few and far between. Back in the 1960s, 70's, and 80's people just wore watches (sometimes beating them up) and didn't see view them as commodities.

Modern watches, even limited editions will never truly be as rare or difficult to find in mint condition or better as vintage pieces, because now instead of wearing limited editions as many collectors buy pieces and put them in vaults waiting for values to increase.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think as collectors saw values in the once unpopular manual wind Daytonas rise, they looked toward other less popular "professional models" of the same period as watches that could rise in value over time. Unpopularity, can lead to rarity. As a company sees units aren't selling, they reduce production and purchasers may have seen them as an unpopular items they got relatively cheaply that were not worth babying. So really good condition examples become few and far between. Back in the 1960s, 70's, and 80's people just wore watches (sometimes beating them up) and didn't see view them as commodities.

Modern watches, even limited editions will never truly be as rare or difficult to find in mint condition or better as vintage pieces, because now instead of wearing limited editions as many collectors buy pieces and put them in vaults waiting for values to increase.
Hard to believe that any of todays models will ever be considered rare like those from years gone by.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things go.

prayingrobot

Reaction score
Many of us seek "grail" watches. I'm not sure they ever really scratch the itch, but maybe. I haven't bought a new watch in years, but I could cave if I saw a durable (dive) annual calendar watch. Ulysse Nardin used to make one. Any others come to mind?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

looks redone, and shipping from uruguay. lots of fakes down there not worth the price of shipping. avoid.

my wallet thanks you.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about Hermès watches or how their logos may have changed, but the script without the grave accent looks suspicious...

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True.. it looks like the face inst original, I would steer clear

Dial : was recently refinished condition is very good +++, see pictures please they are accurate.

Maybe ask the seller about this. It looks new, not refurbished.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads