• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it looks pretty robust, that's for sure.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is the defy xtreme I really like. Steel/titanium, stunning sports watch.
96-0525-4021-21-R642-_21582-002.jpg
Tried on a used but mint one recently, at 46.5mm case was just too big otherwise would have bought it.
Another pic of it:
ze12048-defy-box.jpg
Is this also considered offensive like the last Panerai I posted a pic of?

not my thing design wise, but with the appropriate gear, i see how it could be cool.

Donald Donaldson

Reaction score
Possible yes, as it's not a watch that can be worn with everything or is to everyone's tastes. It was 50%+ off retail price, for a mint watch that had obviously hardly been warn.

It's similar to certain Franck Muller watches in that in photos it looks a bit over the top but in the flesh really looks stunning.

I think for me 40mm-42mm is the correct size watch.

Cylon

Reaction score
Well, that one certainly isn't as bad as some others that came up when I GIS'd it.

I do agree with you about watch size...I'd even drop it down to 39 to 42 is really the sweet spot for me too

Offensive? Well I dunno if thats the right word...but what about the issue of versatility? Would you want something you could wear with a lot of different things or does that not bother you?

The zenith that really gets my mojo going is the new striking tenth that we had the pleasure of seeing quite recently right here!

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forum groupthink?
Not in my thread !!
the_soup_nazi0041.jpg

Love that guy - :fistbump:

Moo that is a cool vintage piece... and some of my favorite pieces are those I got from my grandfather as well. Great vintage and a great story behind it but (please don't take offense here...) am I the only one who is reminded of the "watch scene" in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken? It even kinda looks like that watch. :lol:

Nope; you're not alone, although Walken's character's 'only' went back to his dad. Regardless, pretty great history Moo, which makes that watch all the more special.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

sorry had to post... I've seen it countless times but oh well.... :lol:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Possible yes, as it's not a watch that can be worn with everything or is to everyone's tastes. It was 50%+ off retail price, for a mint watch that had obviously hardly been warn.
It's similar to certain Franck Muller watches in that in photos it looks a bit over the top but in the flesh really looks stunning.
I think for me 40mm-42mm is the correct size watch.

Yes, that one should come with a warning for sure! :D

I see no reasons to have a problem with the spacer. A larger case is necessary to make the 1/10 second display legible IMO. As for the 38mm, just buy a vintage A386.

Uh, it's a striking 10th, the 1/10 markings are not on a subdial. :confused:

And as for a vintage A386... well, good luck finding a non-franken vintage A386 in good condition (a high beat vintage...) for a reasonable price. Remember that unlike vintage Omegas/Rolexes, there isn't a relatively abundant supply of parts out there should something go wrong.

(comparo of the new & old 38mms)

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm new here & this is my first post. i can't think of a better reason for that = can someone help me by identifying this particular hamilton
and, possibly, where i can source it. i think i need it.

thanks

Edgein

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but didn't Rolex use Zenith movements on their Daytona's until the last few years when they switched to their in house movement. So, there should be a good supply of parts for those chronos.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be wrong, but didn't Rolex use Zenith movements on their Daytona's until the last few years when they switched to their in house movement.  So, there should be a good supply of parts for those chronos.

Sort of, but they used Valjoux 72 based movements before that, and the Zenith Daytonas are sought after in their own right, arguably more so than the early Zeniths so it would be odd to cannibalise a Daytona for a Zenith in that sense. Also, cal.400s are significantly modified 3019s, so many parts are not drop in replacements, and some parts needed for the Zenith are absent in the Rolex/Zenith movements. Unlike Omega SA, Rolex SA has good control over NOS parts, and if a Rolex watch is old enough it is simply not supported anymore by them. I imagine it would be a nightmare cross referencing part numbers from the Rolex and Zenith parts catalogues.

I was referring more to more mundane cosmetic bits/bobs, like hands, dials, crown pushers, crowns, etc. And even with respect to spare internal parts there is no repository for Zenith parts that is easily accessible like the ones for vintage Rolex (of which the Zenith Daytonas are a small fraction) or Omega.

Last edited:

mayborne

Reaction score
do all PAM's come with a rubber strap?

tried my co worker's PAM last friday and it was pretty sweet.

he had a luminor 8days gmt. (i think)

any advice on what kind of PAM to get?

i was thinking of a base model luminor or something complicated but sporty.

i will wear it on a rubber strap most of the time.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a historic, none of that complicated nonsense. That's my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics