• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Collected my new JLC this weekend. The perfect watch for lounging around the house in an old sweatshirt :cool:

gorgeous. wear it in good health.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saysomething, thanks for proving our point

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest with you man, I wouldn't really mess around with any 90s Submariner. You probably going want the lume, bracelet not too stretched out, or being panaroid when you should get it service. I'd honestly get the latest serial you can afford (pre-owned obviously). Judging from your post, you can probably get a really nice F, K, or P serial for around $4,800 or less. That way, you can have the lug holes, and the service would be a lot cheaper. Since all you need is to service the moment ($400ish) The tritum dial is cool and all, but I'd rather get a real vintage, servicing Rolex are kinda expensive. So if you buy any of the 90s Rolex sport watch, always factor in $600-800. Sometime the service can cost up to $1,200.. this is not including replacing your dial/hand.

Hopefully I answer some of your questions below. Honestly if you have any questions, don't be afraid to pm anybody in this thread. Remember when you are buying a watch online. Make sure to buy the seller first. I'll pm you a few sellers in a bit.

Now its my turn to ask the Qs :)

Which subs have the glidelock bracelet?

All the new ceramic Submariner should have it (Two-tone, gold, SS) The two tone (ceramic), and I wanna said the gold version (ceramic) came out before the SS. The new Deep Sea Sea-Dweller also have the glidelock, albeit a little different, but pretty much the same function.

Please don't get a two-tone

This... enough already has been said. Another reason why you shouldn't get a two-tone. A TT watch is simply going look like complete **** after a few months/years wearing. PCL (polish center link) are scratch magnets. If this is going be your only watch. The watch is going look really really worn out just a few months.

Ok cool thanks guys
How about the standard colorway ? Black bezel and silver ? Or Green bezel ?

I'd stick with black. Despite what everybody said about the GMT Pepsi. I'd actually recommend it over the Submariner. Why you ask? Because you can pretty much get three watches in one. The watch also looks great in the super jubliee bracelet. I'll let this pics speak for itself. I mean it is really easy to switch out the bezel. Plus if you don't trust yourself, you can always paid your watch maker a few bucks to switch it out. There is 3 bezel, the black, pepsi, and coke. Each bezel would cost around $75-150 each.

RolexBoxPapers-1.jpg

Are there variants on the 16610 ? Like a L, M , Y or S with regards to the serial number ? Unsure of the differences, if someone can clarify
I see threads with 16610 P , F , W serial numbers
Just simply the year and location it was manufactured ?

Yes simply the year the case was stamped. It gets really confusing in the latter serial. Since the serial chart isn't 100% accurate, but it is pretty darn close. Because right now the new serial is a random serial, and you can pretty much get a brand new Gold Day-Date with a M-serial case. M-serial was first seen around 2008.....

The purists are huge fan of the lug holes (The hole between the lugs). The lug holes on the Sub-date disappeared from the very end of the Y-series...circa 2004ish. Why do I like lug holes? Because it is very easy to change strap. All you need is a tooth pick.

1213005.jpg

I guess I'll answer your pricing question as well.

Basically expect to paid between $5000-5,500ish
From D (2005ish), Z (2006-2007ish), M serial (2008ish). So around 2005-2008ish...

$4,600-$5,100
A, P , K, Y, F, and maybe some D. 2000-2004

(The A-serial have "SWISS" on bottom of the dial. Most variation are "SWISS-MADE" on the bottom)

This is where things get a little tricky and where noobs will get confused. I wanna said the T-serial was the last series where the Sub was housing a Tritum Dial. Some people really like it because the dial can develop into a really nice patina over time. But the watch would be a lot cheaper. Reason why it's cheaper? Well first off, its old, the lume is basically dead, most of them on sale doesn't have a service history. So there is a good chance you will have to spend $650+ on services really soon.

L, E, X, N, C, S, W, T, U

PS If you decide you really like that GMT. I have more info on it.

However....The GMT info is way more intensive than the Submariner.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NonServiam

Reaction score
Thank you kindly! It's certainly a photogenic watch, but on the wrist it is pure magic. The red gold, a first for me, has a wonderful warm glow. The blued chrono hands give a nice contrast to the silver sunburst dial and the red gold hour, minute and second hands and markers.

Klokkebilder051.jpg

Klokkebilder049.jpg

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the prettiest chronos out there--and reasonably priced, nonetheless!

Cylon

Reaction score
Gold to wear around the house? Really? and..17k is reasonable?!

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Collected my new JLC this weekend. The perfect watch for lounging around the house in an old sweatshirt :cool:

I do hope you'll get a chance to wear it with something a bit more interesting! :) That's a great looking piece.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I think what Kid Nickels is saying is...we need a yacht pic

I'll +1 that
cheers.gif

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ :lol: ya... or backseat of luxury automobile at LEAST! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members