• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Just for you.

royaloak.jpg

With its cousin.
royaloakjlcmaster.jpg

A beautiful couple! If I were to buy a dress watch, it would probably be a JLC Master. I prefer steel watches (even for dress).

And I like seeing people who still like the original RO, rather than those Offshore monstrosities. Anyone around have the true original version, with the non-hacking movement and no second hand (only automatic watch I've ever seen w/o a second hand, but there are probably others).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nvm

jfclarky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NonServiam
I've sported my new Monaco this weekend, I love it
biggrin.gif
I should have sprung for the vintage Heuer of course, but the Monaco I find very charming in its modern TAG incarnation. This is not the new new Monaco though, which I find slightly too expensive. The former model is a nice second hand buy, and I wasn't very impressed with the new "cal 12" anyway. No micro rotor? No cal 12!

Monaco.jpg

I have always loved that watch so much and have never seen one in person so I could buy it.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

FARK! I'm in love! Saw one at the local second hand watch dealer, not a bad price but its missing a few links. Too bad it was a black faced one as I am after the blue.

Keep this up but don't spoint the fun by posting the Royal Oak Offshore, which is just a mutated freak compared to the RO.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by zippyh
Just for you.

royaloak.jpg

With its cousin.
royaloakjlcmaster.jpg

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Am I the only one who thinks that jfclarky's wrist is too small for the Panerai?

I don't personally like when the lugs stick off my wrist, but someone (actually, a watch salesman who loved Panerais) once told me that the real measure of appropriate size is the size of your hand, when open. If you have a thin wrist but a wide hand, it can still look fine. I personally think it's a combo, but thought I'd share.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
My search for a new Mark XV finally paid off; picked this up today after a three month wait:

markxv.jpg

The book was a gift from my AD
smile.gif

Mind if I asked how you managed to locate a new MK XVI?!?!?! Wouldn't mind finding one of those myself!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NonServiam
I've sported my new Monaco this weekend, I love it
biggrin.gif
I should have sprung for the vintage Heuer of course, but the Monaco I find very charming in its modern TAG incarnation. This is not the new new Monaco though, which I find slightly too expensive. The former model is a nice second hand buy, and I wasn't very impressed with the new "cal 12" anyway. No micro rotor? No cal 12!
Monaco.jpg

Sweet! Also, just so I don't have to see that god-awful AP any longer.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Mind if I asked how you managed to locate a new MK XVI?!?!?! Wouldn't mind finding one of those myself!
You mean Mark XV, right? I've seen at least a couple of the current Mark XVI in local shops.

As for the Mark XV I contacted about 30 authorized IWC dealers in 4 countries, to see if any of them had a 'NOS' one lying around (AFAIK the model was discontinued in 2006). No one had, but one of my local Danish ADs came up with a solution: He had located a NOS Mark XV Spitfire in Holland at 'IWC Benelux & Scandinavia', and as the Spitfire and the Classic Pilot series are largely identical (same movement, case and crystal), it was just a case of convincing IWC to retrofit it with original Mark XV Classic Pilot dial and hands, which he somehow managed.

So the Spitfire was send from Amsterdam back to Schaffhausen, rebuild, serviced and checked by IWC and then shipped to Denmark as a brand new (and possibly very last?) Mark XV, complete with a full 2 year warranty.

The whole process took 3 months from I ordered it. There were a couple of delays, which is why my AD threw in the new, massive IWC book.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, cool. I wouldn't have expected a Richemont group company to be so accomodating.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Truth be said, I had my doubts up until the moment I received it.

Luca Brasi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
I don't personally like when the lugs stick off my wrist, but someone (actually, a watch salesman who loved Panerais) once told me that the real measure of appropriate size is the size of your hand, when open. If you have a thin wrist but a wide hand, it can still look fine. I personally think it's a combo, but thought I'd share.

A they are making watches so big these days that the lugs stick out on a wrist of almost all men, they obviously had to make up a new measurement to make the lugs sticking out OK. I personally think the salesman's "opinion" is just sales talk.

everyone will have to decide for themselves what size of watch they think look good, but I can't imagine it being very comfortable to wear a 44-50mm watch if you have 6" wrists (well I do and it isn't to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads