• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about getting a Senator. Would've liked the Sixties Pano Date but it's huge.

xdawes23

Reaction score
Junghans Max Bill in 34mm and 38mm. Same watch, different size. Which one should I keep?

Disregard the color of the strap since I'm going to switch it to a dark brown cordovan strap.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Junghans Max Bill in 34mm and 38mm. Same watch, different size. Which one should I keep?

Disregard the color of the strap since I'm going to switch it to a dark brown cordovan strap.
I like the 38 mm on you. I think that close cell phone pictures have a tendency to be a little deceiving. On the close shots, I think the watch looks like it spans a lot more of your wrist than it does because of the perspective of the lens. Small lens up close sees a lot wider of an angle and "distorts" in a way, sorta like when you take a picture of your dog's face up close - the nose looks huge. The farther shots give I think a more accurate representation of what it actually looks like to a person more than 3 inches from your arm - of which I prefer the 38 mm.

How big is your wrist?

ctp120

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a pre-owned submariner in the next month or two. Not knowledgeable at all about the second hand watch market beyond what I can find easily using google. What do I need to know and where should I look to get a good/fair price and avoid being scammed?

xdawes23

Reaction score
@d4nimal You're right, but its also the fact that the watch have rather thin bezels which gives the watch a bigger looking appearance.

My wrists are small coming in at 6 inches.

sepp

Reaction score
Keep the 38mm if you have no problem keeping it under your shirt cuffs.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@d4nimal You're right, but its also the fact that the watch have rather thin bezels which gives the watch a bigger looking appearance.

My wrists are small coming in at 6 inches.

I think they both work, actually. It depends what you're looking for: the smaller one is plenty big enough for a dress watch. It's in perfect proportion to your wrist, and I wear a 35mm watch with a suit even though my wrist is 7"+. Belligero's a giant and he wears watches that size, too. It's a classy piece under your shirt cuff, very subtle and dignified.

But. If you're looking for something more casual and modern-looking, that could still fly with a suit and tie, especially if you're a younger guy with a more fashion-forward style, then the bigger one is fine: it's slightly more in-your-face and oversized, but it's not silly on your wrist at all. It's just a lot more show.

So really, there's no wrong answer. Think of the image you want to project with it, and choose accordingly.

That thing looks like you could beat someone to death with it. In a good way. Nice shot.

Sweden

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why Hublot is a great watch? I dont see it! :)

I have never seen one nice model!

Last edited:

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the GMTII didn't work out. The pre-owned one that I was hoping to make a deal on had been noticeably polished. I did find a new one at an AD and liked it okay but not enough to kop. Against my better judgment I tried on my grail but the deal I was offered was $10k+ more than the price from my gray market source, and then taxes on top of that. The half bottle of wine I had in me was not enough to take that bullet. Anyways, after sleeping on it a couple of nights and being prodded by my wife to just "stop obsessing and buy the damn thing already," I think I am going to kop. The only question is from where.

I am having lunch tomorrow with my next door neighbor who owns an AD. When I first met him at his housewarming party he told me that if I ever needed anything he would take care of me. I don't know if he meant take care of me in the sense he could get it for me, or in the sense he could give me a very good price. Lol. Guess we will find out. I value the friendship so I'm not inclined to negotiate.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Dino&mimo: Admit it, you guys are having a secret wager on which one of you can get Belligero to break down and post something along these lines:

:)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
What?

@TC (Houston) , I look forward to a vicarious kop event imminently, but a piece of advice: negotiate, even if you're friends. The bottom line is..er...your bottom line. He's a businessman, and you're a customer. He wants to sell you that watch. And even with a good deal, he will make money. But as a wealthy friend of mine once told me, "get over yourself". I was having issues with asking for the day rate I wanted to do some work for them - my first foray into consulting, and I suppose in British culture, talking about money feels crude. But this is a commercial transaction, and I don't think you're being at all unfriendly if you say you're naturally looking for the best price, and when you find it, you hope he can get close to matching it because you'd like to buy from a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members