• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've just bought an 18ct gold watch on a crocodile strap with a Chopard movement- I hope it gets a better reception than my Technomarine did!:)

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just bought an 18ct gold watch on a crocodile strap with a Chopard movement- I hope it gets a better reception than my Technomarine did!
smile.gif
Congrats! Chopard makes some very nice watches. Most important thing, where are the photos? Lets see it!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it a chopard watch or just a chopard movement? your post was unclear.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

i like the anthracite dial better as well, but i do not love a rubber strap there. for me, past a certain price point i feel its gotta be croc/gator or gold/plat/steel. i just dont love a rubber strap on a 5 figure watch. call me a whore.

WHORE!

Come on, I'm the first to jump on that?! Y'all are gettin' slow...

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is just super cool! A quick review would be welcome, as I am looking for a affordable tooly watch a la IWC XV(I), and this seems to tick a lot of boxes :)

Hope you don't mind if I offer my two bits. I've spent some quality time with a 556 that I picked up in Frankfurt some years back for a friend (back when there was just the version they now call the "I") and I think it's as perfected of a watch as it gets for the money. The size is ideal, the optional bracelet is quite good, it suits just about any strap, the dial has a gorgeous deeply lacquered finish, and the whole package has the distinct vibe of understated quality. They were using the top-grade version of the solid 2824 movement last time I checked, too.

Simple is more difficult than complicated, and I don't see any design flaws on this. OK, I'd prefer a steel back to a display one, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that point. The hands, dial and case are just right together. The satin case finish looks great and can be touched up easily, unlike bead-blasted models such as my 356 (which I still :inlove: after six years). It has the do-anything nature of a classic 36 mm Datejust without being a mere facsimile; there's a distinct identity to the watch.

I prefer this model to their more gimmicky stuff that seems to be designed for mall ninjas, since I think Sinn's a no-BS company at the core. I honestly can't think of a better alternative at the 556's very-reasonable cost if someone's looking for a simple, rugged and versatile watch that's easily serviceable and not going to look dated down the road.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the anthracite dial better as well, but i do not love a rubber strap there. for me, past a certain price point i feel its gotta be croc/gator or gold/plat/steel. i just dont love a rubber strap on a 5 figure watch. call me a whore.

WHORE!

Come on, I'm the first to jump on that?! Y'all are gettin' slow...

WHORE!

Oh darn it. Keith beat me to it......

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh wow. That Overseas 47450 is amazing. :worship2:
I can now highly recommend Cheergiant. My 19/15 strap was delivered on Saturday and I am very impressed. It took about a week for George to make the strap, and then another 2 weeks for it to land in my mailbox.

The leather is a nice orange-reddish brown with variable color tone depending upon the light, and it's the kind of color that should darken with wear to a nice, rich hue. The padding is perfect, and the fit is also spot-on to my specs. I was afraid that, despite George discounting the "Fagliano look strap" from $180 to $130, I was throwing the money away on something that would be a worthless consolation prize compared to the real deal on 1931, but it's not the case at all - I really like this strap and couldn't be more thrilled with the purchase.

I hope everyone's Monday is proceeding sans drama. :)

Very nice - old George comes through again. Quite a coincidence, I've been toying with buying a Casa Fagliano - they'll sell one for $500 + 75 shipping or free shipping if you buy two.

Last edited:

cats33cats

Reaction score
That is just super cool! A quick review would be welcome, as I am looking for a affordable tooly watch a la IWC XV(I), and this seems to tick a lot of boxes :)

Hope you don't mind if I offer my two bits. I've spent some quality time with a 556 that I picked up in Frankfurt some years back for a friend (back when there was just the version they now call the "I") and I think it's as perfected of a watch as it gets for the money. The size is ideal, the optional bracelet is quite good, it suits just about any strap, the dial has a gorgeous deeply lacquered finish, and the whole package has the distinct vibe of understated quality. They were using the top-grade version of the solid 2824 movement last time I checked, too.

Simple is more difficult than complicated, and I don't see any design flaws on this.

Awesome review, couldn't have said it better myself. I'd also add that if you have the money to get the 556 on the bracelet, do it. Buying the bracelet afterwards will cost a substantial amount more. Mine's currently on a leather strap with deployant clasp but I will be switching to a rubber strap soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads