• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing fancy like you guys :D

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good, B.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a handsome watch. I am digging the tan ostrich :D

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nuke's suggested reading of the day:

Some good ones.

Thanks for the collection of links. Initial thoughts...

Cartier came out heavy with a ton of new designs:
  • I dislike the skeletonized Tanks - it is hard to see the time, and I think this matters a lot to me. Perhaps the contrast between arms and background is greater than what is shown in the picture.
  • Rotonde Day and Night is the most interesting, but the moonphase at the bottom feels too modern versus the top - sort of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde approach
  • Calibre Diver - this one is a bit hard for me. The Calibres have always felt they are trying too hard, but, at the same time, they are not vanilla like so many others. May have to see in person

Jaeger
  • Hybris 11 looks sweet. Could be slightly smaller than 42mm, but this, to me, was the clear star of the show.

Lange
  • Terraluna - not sure about this one either. Overlapping dials look a bit confused and busy. Moonphase on the back is just beyond pointless
  • Saxonia MOP - the editor wishes they were larger because of this stupid trend of women wearing men's sized watches. That trend can die a million deaths right now.

Montblanc
  • Meisterstück Heritage Perpetual Calendar - they should be embarassed to show this watch - the dials are so pressed into the middle, it is obviously a tiny movement in a large case
  • Montblanc Meisterstück Heritage Pulsograph - looks pretty good on the other hand

And Hodinkee should stop printing press releases as articles. The guy never met a watch he didn't gush over (witness the Bremont Codebreaker article - a $22K steel Valjoux watch)

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In honor of Nuke's FYI about the Hodinkee article on perpetual calendar chronographs I am wearing this beauty today.

ypa7e4a4.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Frills, you are missing a chronograph pusher!

Made you look

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, cushion shaped watches with wire lugs. Seems these were less rare in the 20's and 30's, like this Omega:

Picture%204796.jpg

Does anyone currently produce something similar, besides Panerai's Radiomir models? Ideally not as vintage looking at that Omega, but smaller than the Radiomirs.

(Interestingly, when searching for this I learned that the cushion shaped first Panerais from 1936 weren't an original make up, but were using existing Rolex case designs.)

Vacheron makes the 1921 American, which is a cushion shaped case, although it does not use wire lugs. Beautiful watch, but the price has skyrocketed over the last few years. When originally released its MSRP was around $24,995 now its about $40K.

Been away from TWAT for a bit but I was lurking in the shadows.

Over the wedding weekend I got some hands on time with my father-in-law's Rolex 2-tone Submariner which he bought in the 90s. Instead of the more modern ceramic bezel it has the old metal insert that has had some abuse. To add to the abuse some of the 18kt gold links have been dented, the bezel does not turn, and it is scratched to high heaven other than the sapphire crystal.
In its 20-year life it has not been serviced but I mentioned he should probably have it done since he mentioned it only keeps power for 24 hours after wear. He lives a couple blocks away from the Dallas headquarters so I joked about the watch never being far from home if service was done there.

It is interesting to see how people treat their watches given the cost of these things initially. In his case it was beat up being a father and travelling as his profession is not one conducive to watch abuse. Others treat their watches like treasures that are rarely worn and just sit in a safe. He also has an example of this in his YG Rolex Day-Date President which if I remember correctly has which has the proper fluted bezel and sticks with black face.
Its important to remember that years ago watch collecting interest and prices were not anything close to what they are today (back in the early 1980s, very complicated PPs, VCs, and APs were selling for $2K-4K. No one wanted them. They were old technology). In the early 1990s a two tone Sub listed for $5K but could be purchased new all day long from ADs for $3,500. These watches had hollow center links and the old style clam shell bracelet attachment rather than solid end links. These were good solid watches, but they were relatively common and no one babied them back in the day.

People actually wearing their watches, not babying them, etc, is one of the reasons that vintage watches in pristine condition are so rare. People didn't buy PPs, APs, and VCs to put in a safe and wait for values to go up. They wore, them, banged them up, lost them
eek.gif
, and they were not considered the assets that they are today. Today people purchase new models and put them in their safes...waiting for values to increase. They will never be as rare as vintage models from the 1980s and earlier when people wore their watches and didn't baby them. There will almost always be plenty of new or like new high end watches available even when production of a model ends....because so many have been put away in safes and never worn.
Thanks for the collection of links. Initial thoughts...

Cartier came out heavy with a ton of new designs:
  • I dislike the skeletonized Tanks - it is hard to see the time, and I think this matters a lot to me. Perhaps the contrast between arms and background is greater than what is shown in the picture.
  • Rotonde Day and Night is the most interesting, but the moonphase at the bottom feels too modern versus the top - sort of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde approach
  • Calibre Diver - this one is a bit hard for me. The Calibres have always felt they are trying too hard, but, at the same time, they are not vanilla like so many others. May have to see in person

Jaeger
  • Hybris 11 looks sweet. Could be slightly smaller than 42mm, but this, to me, was the clear star of the show.

Lange
  • Terraluna - not sure about this one either. Overlapping dials look a bit confused and busy. Moonphase on the back is just beyond pointless
  • Saxonia MOP - the editor wishes they were larger because of this stupid trend of women wearing men's sized watches. That trend can die a million deaths right now.

Montblanc
  • Meisterstück Heritage Perpetual Calendar - they should be embarassed to show this watch - the dials are so pressed into the middle, it is obviously a tiny movement in a large case
  • Montblanc Meisterstück Heritage Pulsograph - looks pretty good on the other hand

And Hodinkee should stop printing press releases as articles. The guy never met a watch he didn't gush over (witness the Bremont Codebreaker article - a $22K steel Valjoux watch)
Most of those watches didn't interest me at all. The Cartier Day/Night is an interesting watch, but not as pretty as the original model from 2006, which was part of the Privee Collection. The original model had a more elegant guilloche, didn't have the distracting moon phase indicator at the bottom of the dial, nor did it have the protruding rectangular plate with the Cartier name on it. A friend of mine has the original 2006 Rotonde Day/Night and IMHO it just might be the most interesting and elegant round dress watch I've seen. Even a few watch snob acquaintances that are usually only interested in the "Big Three" looked into acquiring one, but acted too late to get one (something like only 250 were made).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dat PP :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads