• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, stichy and Cleav. Much appreciate the kind words.

I feel very lucky to have such a great and accomplished sister and now such a lovely timepiece. It really is awesome on the wrist - the blue dial really is dynamic.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hm, okay that's just a dirty photoshop mockup, but while I love the Mk XV I'd keep it on a black strap. Either black leather or black Nato. Sand Nato might work as well for a cool military look. FWIW, my previous boss used to carry her Mk XV Spitfire on a military green/muddy green Nato (not camou!). It looked stunning. But the Spitfire had a lighter, non-black dial.
Thanks for the photoshop - I actually think it looks alright, but it may be better with contrast stitching. I'm actually wearing it on a black Nato right now, like so:
e8Tzk.jpg
Old pic from the summit of Ben Nevis, after the 100 mile hike of The West Highland Way :satisfied: and I wear it a good deal on the black buffalo
img3222j.jpg
and occasionally on a Speedbird RAF strap
img3844y.jpg
and I have been planning to pick up an olive Nato as well, but since I'm about to sell off my PAM, I expect I'm going to miss a brown leather strap now and then.
If you like the Hirsch strap, isn't that one available in 19/16 or what?
The Hirsch does come in 19/16 but it's not 100% what I'm looking for, which is why I'm hoping for recommmendations :)

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is completely off topic but I just want to go on the record that even though I have a calendar complication piece I still want this 2014 calendar. Thank you for listening.

atehuqen.jpg

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

suaviter

Reaction score
Thanks for the photoshop - I actually think it looks alright, but it may be better with contrast stitching.

I'm actually wearing it on a black Nato right now, like so:

e8Tzk.jpg

Old pic from the summit of Ben Nevis, after the 100 mile hike of The West Highland Way
satisfied.gif

and I wear it a good deal on the black buffalo
img3222j.jpg

and occasionally on a Speedbird RAF strap
img3844y.jpg

and I have been planning to pick up an olive Nato as well, but since I'm about to sell off my PAM, I expect I'm going to miss a brown leather strap now and then.
The Hirsch does come in 19/16 but it's not 100% what I'm looking for, which is why I'm hoping for recommmendations :)

I like that IWC on all those straps -- but this post makes me ask a question for all you 'strap-changers' as I'm encroaching this territory with my Speedy and the strap I just got from tifosi --

Do you guys have a spring bar tool and change them yourself? I've always gone to a local watch shop and paid him $5 - but is it really that easy? I'd be nervous to scratch the dang lugs to pieces on my Speedy and Datejust.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup - use a bergeon tool. Easy as pie. Some use scotch tape around the lugs. If you're absolutely against any scratches on the inside of your lug whatsoever then may not be for you..

Do you guys have a spring bar tool and change them yourself?  I've always gone to a local watch shop and paid him $5 - but is it really that easy? I'd be nervous to scratch the dang lugs to pieces on my Speedy and Datejust. 

Sorry to hear, TC - the Northeast is getting hammered by a Polar Vortex or something like that. Hope your new watch gets to you safe and sound so you can post tomorrow!

Uggghh, you know what sux? Going watchless to the office because you're expecting to find a new one in box sitting on your desk when you arrive, and then it's not there! Apparently there was some bad weather up northeast on Friday? Anyways, my watch didn't make it onto the plane, so won't be here until tomorrow. Another looong night. LOL

That's a helluva gift! Congrats

Just wanted to share a belated pic of my Christmas/wedding gift from my little sister - I know the Mark XVII doesn't get lots of love here, but considering the context and the fact that it was a thoughtful and charming gift (the Le Petit Prince tie-in), I really do love this watch. Even with my Reverso 1931 and 15202, this will get a ton of wear. I really love it.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Looks great on NATO, Kaplan. I should dress down my Mark XVI that way more often....usually it stays on a black croc-grain strap, and I wind up wearing it more like a dress piece. (It's a pilot's watch after all.) Pretty versatile watch if you think about it.

CHRK 33: congratulations! Have not seen that one in person yet.

So this is completely off topic but I just want to go on the record that even though I have a calendar complication piece I still want this 2014 calendar. Thank you for listening.

I'm looking more than listening, frilly :D

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Did the Mk XVI come on a croc grain strap? I thought it was a real croc? Either way, I found it a little odd that IWC chose to dress the buckle down, from a deployant to a tang, and dress the leather up, going from buffalo to croc, when they replaced the XV with the XVI...

@suaviter, I use a Bergeon tool too (No 6767). Less risk of getting scratches when changing spring bars, than when changing Panerai style straps with a screwdriver, IME.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to read the article on Hodinkee yesterday?

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-chronograph-review

A great article, despite it being review for the most part. Nonetheless, I like the general premise--that the ROC is nothing short of a modern classic. It really is an excellent combination of past and present. I am not sure how I feel about the rose gold, and I feel like the author has similar feelings. Gold may be a big soft, especially considering all the brushed and polished surfaces.

suaviter

Reaction score

A great article, despite it being review for the most part. Nonetheless, I like the general premise--that the ROC is nothing short of a modern classic. It really is an excellent combination of past and present. I am not sure how I feel about the rose gold, and I feel like the author has similar feelings. Gold may be a big soft, especially considering all the brushed and polished surfaces.

Great article ... after this thread with our friend dino and TC's showcasing I have serious Royal Oak fever.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hmm...how does one unscrew a hexagonal screw? that may be explained in the video, but i am not in a position to play it right now

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great read, gorgeous watch, but for me, the simple 3 handed RO is the watch to have. :swoon:

also, thoughts on the 15202?

Last edited:

robw

Reaction score

I read it. I am an AP fan and own a stainless RO chrono (the prior 39mm model) which I absolutely love. I wouldn't have any problem with wearing the watch in gold either.

However, I have a hard time seeing what this new model brings to the table other than a larger case. It has the same non exclusive chrono mvmt as the prior model (which is I have to say works great and has been running flawlessly for me for years). Without question a beautiful and beautifully made, high quality, high end product, but it seems to me like most of the RO offshore models: extremely cool but not especially interesting. 54k for this watch is hard to justify. The comparison to Patek IMO is a non starter. I don't especially like the nautilus which itself is outrageously priced but they are just not in the same league.

A Rolex Daytona in rose gold lists these days for about 37k or so and that has its own excellent house mvmt. It's very hard for me to see the premium AP is looking for here as justified. Maybe on the secondary or grey market with discounting, the difference between those 2 watches gets a lot smaller. I can see myself paying more for the AP but not much frankly.

I think the idea expressed in the article that the customer AP has in mind for the RO and offshore models (that is most of them, some are quite complicated and interesting) is not really interested in the horological aspects is essentially correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads