• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLION

Reaction score

If that is Your Majesty's wish, then may she soon be your queen.  Or concubine, if that's less awkward administratively-speaking.  Ask Henry VIII.

I'm waiting for Dino to back you up on Akatsuki's question, with his cautionary tales on dealing with independents.  From a practical point of view, the 3970 is just so perfect.  But...having looked it up, the RG is insanely special.  I guess the question in response is "just how crazy are you?".

CTL, what's your budget?  I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.  And also, what was your reasoning (other than "that looks nice", and assuming there was any!) on the DateJust?

The Gold and Steel Datejust I liked the professional look for my job. I wear a suit 5 days a week and I thought the combo of steel and gold would give me some versatility. It was also a safe choice for a guy just learning about watches.

My budget was $10k but now that my bonus was placed in the joint account the $ is $5000 or less unless I wait 3 months until my next bonus check, which puts me in the new category for some and used for others if I take that route. If something stands out above the rest and above my budget I can always move some of my rather expensive golf antiquities or sell some artwork that I have grown tired of.

I am not sure I am looking for one thing....sport or work...long term I just figure I will buy many watches but aesthetics are a main driver for me as am learning more about time pieces.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, perhaps the middle way is to get something unusual/insane but from a more mainstream maker?  Given your previous choice, perhaps something like this?

So far out of my league I'm not even sure it's the same sport.  But man, it's lovely:

I love you use of the unusual/insane dichotomy. The Gauthier Logical One is indeed insane, but very cool. A bit much for my tastes, but I like the Breguet for it's more restrained insanity!

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gimmicky, I know, but I can't get my mind off the new Day-Date(s):

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Turkey day to the Americans around these parts. Hope everyone has a nice day with family. Personally, I am sporting my Speedmaster. A chronograph is always nice for timing things.

And Frills, I think that may be my favorite Patek of yours. So wonderfully balanced, and so incredibly clean.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Modest contribution:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Cyc, a friend of mine just got one. I've never liked the fluted bezel, never liked the gold and steel two tone thing, and never liked the Jubilee bracelet. Yet all together...somehow the way it was meant to be.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we are! The new 5270 perpetual calendar chronograph design from Patek... Available in blue and white dials (soon). What do you guys think!

eje3atud.jpg

5ade6uqe.jpg

For comparison here is my old model 3970 in a white metal too:

u3emyqen.jpg

Okay I guess the angles and rendering offers an unfair comparison. But oh that melting tachymeter at 6.... (Barf!)

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Not a fan of the tach, but man do I like that blue dial with the moonphase.

CTLION

Reaction score

Five very different things, around the five grand mark, all of which I happen to love. In roughly descending order of price: [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
OK...now we are talking...that Omega just made the list.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, NS, frilly and cyc. I hope everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
CTL: there are many versions of that too; that's the smaller (42mm) version with the blue moonphase that I prefer, the moonphase on the newer one is black, and the latest version comes in a monster 45mm-ish case. There's also one like that shown with "broad arrow" blue hands on a white dial, that I suspect you will like. And they are well under your $5k budget.

Roger: me too, and it's only $3k-ish.

Frilly: I'm confused, as the one shown on the Hodinkee review doesn't seem to be melting. And it looks nice. But I can't help ask whether 41mm is unnecessarily big considering the 36mm size of your 3970p. 39mm would have been perfect!

But yours is platinum and therefore bestest. The end.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the tach, but man do I like that blue dial with the moonphase.

I am sure that blue dial will be stunning in person. I'm not sure if I can get over the melting tach aesthetic... especially given its (expected) price tag of around $178,000 (maybe more).

Nice pics, NS, frilly and cyc. I hope everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Same with you, Stitchy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics