• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wraith - I have to agree.  As my post indicates, my first hands-on encounter with them made me feel very differently: I'd really thought of them as a lame Rolex substitute, and not until putting one on did I really feel the distinct identity they bring.  I stand very much enlightened and corrected.  That Black Bay is a very charismatic piece of wrist candy, and the price only makes it better.

Great :)

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wraith - I have to agree.  As my post indicates, my first hands-on encounter with them made me feel very differently: I'd really thought of them as a lame Rolex substitute, and not until putting one on did I really feel the distinct identity they bring.  I stand very much enlightened and corrected.  That Black Bay is a very charismatic piece of wrist candy, and the price only makes it better.  

To be honest, growing up Tudor was always sold as a poor man's Rolex, with the Tudor lineup mostly comprised of lame rehashes of Rolex stalwarts. It's really only in the last 2-3 years that they have attempted to reboot the brand.

Americans go nuts over them (and the press driving their demand is mostly from America) because they have no or next to no experience with them - IIRC Tudor was not even distributed in America for a long long time.

That said, there is no better way to reboot a brand than releasing some really good looking models, even if the faux heritage card is perhaps a little overplayed in this instance.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That said, there is no better way to reboot a brand than releasing some really good looking models

Hopefully IWC and Rolex will one day get that kind of reboot :devil:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mimo, thanks for the compendium. i may bookmark that. :)

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mimo, thanks for the compendium. i may bookmark that. :)

+1

mimo, I really enjoyed your tyre-kicking diary.

While perhaps closer to 'poor man's watch thread' than what's usually discussed on TWAT, worn&wound is looking for writers... You should contact them if you'd be interested in tyre-kicking, maybe even test driving some lower priced watches.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A quick question regarding completeness on the secondhand market (for relatively common watches):

If purchasing a used watch from a dealer, am I correct in assuming that a lack of box/papers/etc. should affect the value as much as it appears to from private parties? The watch in question is an 80's SS Datejust (16014). I think I might just spend another $500 or so to get a complete 16220.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks, Wes. I can't say I've ever read it much, but I might just give that a shot. I spend enough time pontificating on here for my own leisure..why deny my sincere ignorance to a broader public? :)

I think I might just spend another $500 or so to get a complete 16220.

I think I would too. I'm no expert on these things, but from what I've seen I'd expect a 10%-25% reduction for no box and papers. When the real experts get back from their holiday, I'm sure they'll straighten you out! Stitchy's the man for this one I reckon.

Put it this way, I bet when the dealer bought it he tore it to pieces based on the very absence of those bits of provenance.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
And here's a shot of the Prototype Dial in Imperial Red. The completed watch should be with us by end next week.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daughter's baptism today and this one will make me smile just a little more :) Hoping everyone has a great rest of the weekend.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Love it! Small seconds and power reserve versus chrono is a hard choice! I love that layout.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cyc - yes, no box and papers should defo bring the price down.

rnguy - nice! i hope everything is lovely.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
+1...great photo rnguy.

Everyone slept in this morning at my house...."resting up" for Labor Day....

Burgers and beer this afternoon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads