• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As if that's a short list....
lol8%5B1%5D.gif
le sigh. if only.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know this was posted a while back, but I am just catching up on reading some posts now. That is a great looking watch, and it looks good on that strap. Continue enjoying it.
-LR

Thank you! I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again: if I had to go with one watch, this would without a doubt be the choice. I've always liked pilot's watches for their function-first design, and for the sentimental reason that my grandfather taught RCAF pilots how to fly during WWII and went on to work in aviation for the rest of his life. Not only do I love every detail about the 1675, but this one was also made in the same year that I was. I couldn't ask for a better watch, and I feel fortunate every time I wear it, which is more often than any other one I have — it's on my wrist as I type this, in fact!

Here's a photo of that black bezel insert on another 1675:

photo from WingTsun

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:drool:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice fade....dial / hands / insert.

Sweet :slayer:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick photo comparison of two favorite designs from the 1970s.

Love these two models! I actually tried the AP earlier this morning while I was picking up receipts/appraisals at my AD. Sits very nicely on the wrist, although I prefer my Nautilus (eh, same designer).

I also tried on the Perpetual Datograph 410.025 from ALS. Formidable presence and height. A steal for $164,800 retail!

No, I did not purchase any pieces today - at least for me. I did finalize a purchase for the wife for Valentine's....

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Oyster Quartz is about 36 mm, right?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Agreed. But I would probably take the OQ vs. a comparable 70s DateJust.

I figure the integrated bracelet would make it wear larger, and it has that funky SWAG to it.

Tick tick ticking aside.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here we are - an early Valentine's surprise for the missus. The JLC reverso squadra lady duetto (ref 7058120), in stainless steel. Where did I get the idea for this? Why, from a few posts ago in this thread, notably from our very own In Stitches - credit should go where it's due. Thanks, man!

The "recto" side - dial is white, and has a date display and a day ("sun") and night ("stars") indicator. This is my wife's favorite/preferred side (at least, as far as she's worn it for the last eight hours):

The "verso" side - exquisite sunburst pattern highlights the black dial in the center. It's really fun to look at, and depending on your viewing angle it looks like the center is spinning around in some psychedelic way (which I guess fits in well with the pseudo-psychedelic numerals).
bounce2.gif
(UPDATE: I just read on the JLC website that the black dial has a "visible oscillating rotor" - whatever that means)...

It has a very solid presence on the wrist, owing probably to its height. The technical details on the JLC website lists the height as 4.67mm, and I haven't measured it really, but check out its height compared to the Patek Nautilus 5711/1A:

I tried to take this last pic with the two watches side by side. Yeah, no wonder people say that the Nautilus sits very flat on the wrist! Check that contrast out!

Finally, and most importantly, what does the watch look like on my wife's wrist?

She loves it! Chalk one up to the SF members who helped lead me to this lovely piece!

As for me, what was I doing all day? Just monkeying around in a grey monkey suit, with a few highlights: the red tie from Stefano Ricci really pops, the olive wingtips from Corthay offer a contrast I quite like, and yeah, I think that Nautilus works just fine with a suit.

My contribution for the day and Valentine's season! Booyah!
fing02[1].gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A not-fancy watch I received as a gift that has, surprisingly, gotten the most wrist time of late. In-house movement, legible and comprehensible world time indicator – what's not to like?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slayer: beautiful! im so glad you went with that. excellent choice. :bigstar:

i hope she enjoys it for many many years.

the "visible oscillating rotor" i believe refers to the inner black circle on the dial, which you should be able to see oscillate. i think thats what i means anyways.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
beautiful! im so glad you went with that. excellent choice.
bigstar[1].gif

i hope she enjoys it for many many years.

the "visible oscillating rotor" i believe refers to the inner black circle on the dial, which you should be able to see oscillate. i think thats what i means anyways.

It certainly oscillates in a psychedelic way! She loves the piece. I don't know how ladies pieces from JLC is perceived, but this one has heft and presence on the wrist - my wife thinks it looks more imposing than her 36mm DJ (and certainly her 26mm DJ). She likes it!

To be fair, I was also looking at a Breguet and a IWC and another JLC reverso, but at the end of the day went with this model partly because I saw some of the postings in this thread and got more interested in the Squadra look - not exactly "classic" and not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for us!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome.

as far as "classic" goes, the original design drawings for the first reverso, were drawn as a square, not a rectangle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads