• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of the big Jaeger Reverso engraver (http://www.jcengraver.com/), but wondering if any SF'er has experience working with him. I like the 'diamond' monogram shape the best (First Last Middle) and would want to get my 1931 done up in that fashion. (His examples attached).

+1 Since he has been JLC's engraver for nearly 2 decades, thats the only person I'd send a watch, particularly a JLC to for engraving. In addition, unlike some engravers...he was a watch maker, so he knows how to take care of a watch. Also, make sure you like how your initial look in that style. I don't like the example above. I'm not positive if the center initial is supposed to be a P or E, and I don't know if the last one is a G or an L. In some fonts letters become too stylized and lose something.

Wearing plastic today.

Fantastic Red Sub!!!!
inlove.gif

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Since he has been JLC's engraver for nearly 2 decades, thats the only person I'd send a watch, particularly a JLC to for engraving. In addition, unlike some engravers...he was a watch maker, so he knows how to take care of a watch. Also, make sure you like how your initial look in that style. I don't like the example above. I'm not positive if the center initial is supposed to be a P or E, and I don't know if the last one is a G or an L. In some fonts letters become too stylized and lose something.

Fantastic Red Sub!!!!
inlove.gif
Thank you sir.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George at Tempvs Fvgit scared me off from getting a red Sub. Apparently he stopped buying them because the fakes got too good. He said he used to see red subs quite infrequently and is seeing many more these days. If a pro can't tell a real from a fake, I certainly can't.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just tossing this out there - would a more Art Deco style mot be more appropriate?

I have seen 'art Deco' Cartier jewelry and a lot of Lucite, but would you mind posting an example of an Art Deco Jaeger monogram style? I'm admitting my complete ignorance.

And Dino, thank you for your feedback. Sage advice as always. I'm only clinging to the diamond-style monogram as all my father's shirts (hand-me-downs) were embroidered with that (we share a name), so there is some sentimental value but I'm not sold. Just know that I don't want my dog's portrait for eternity on my Reverso to display when I'm not playing polo :violin:

Stitch, thank you also.

I don't meant to mire the thread, I just value the opinions and feedback here. Getting this done, to me, would make the watch 'my own,' and hopefully pass it down the same way I was given a Calatrava from my grandfather.

Last edited:

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't meant to mire the thread, I just value the opinions and feedback here. Getting this done, to me, would make the watch 'my own,' and hopefully pass it down the same way I was given a Calatrava from my grandfather.

It would certainly do so, IMO engraving a Reverso is something special, perhaps more so than engraving the caseback of any other watch.

Some ideas for art deco style monograms...

It's a little difficult to find art deco fonts that are not cheesy (e.g. reminiscent of the movie Chicago) or actually mislabeled art nouveau.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have seen 'art Deco' Cartier jewelry and a lot of Lucite, but would you mind posting an example of an Art Deco Jaeger monogram style?
I'm admitting my complete ignorance.
And Dino, thank you for your feedback. Sage advice as always. I'm only clinging to the diamond-style monogram as all my father's shirts (hand-me-downs) were embroidered with that (we share a name), so there is some sentimental value but I'm not sold. Just know that I don't want my dog's portrait for eternity on my Reverso to display when I'm not playing polo :violin:
Stitch, thank you also.

not miring at all.

apropos gave some nice ideas there that convey the general idea.

here is a link to a google search for "art deco font." there is some cool stuff in there. im sure this engraver can copy whatever font you ask for, and probably even incorporate a diamond shape if you like.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Dino, thank you for your feedback. Sage advice as always. I'm only clinging to the diamond-style monogram as all my father's shirts (hand-me-downs) were embroidered with that (we share a name), so there is some sentimental value but I'm not sold. Just know that I don't want my dog's portrait for eternity on my Reverso to display when I'm not playing polo
musicboohoo[1].gif

Just wanted to clarify. I actually like the diamond-style monogram, just wanted to make sure you knew what your actual initials look like in that monogram style. One example the Reverso on yellow strap with initials ARH looked really nice in that monogram. It was the other set of intials that I thought were a bit tough to read. However, as its a style your father used (hence you already know how your initials will look in that style), family tradition is as good a reason as any to choose a particular monogram style. Also thanks for assuring us you will not be putting "Spot's" portrait on the back of your fine Reverso.
wink.gif

No miring of the thread at all...in fact I think you brought attention to a great tradition involving the Reverso. We spend a lot of time on this site discussing various strap options. In all honesty, if you pick a strap and you don' like it, your out some $$ but its quick and easy to fix. Choosing an engraving that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and pass on to future generations, well thats a far more important issue as its not a quick, easy fix if you change your mind later. So I'm really glad you brought up this topic. I actually spent a bit of time going through various options on Mr. Randell's site and contemplated what I would do if I made a Reverso my next watch. The possibilities are impressive!

oisin

Reaction score

Just wanted to clarify.  I actually like the diamond-style monogram, just wanted to make sure you knew what your actual initials look like in that monogram style.  One example the Reverso on yellow strap with initials ARH looked really nice in that monogram.  It was the other set of intials that I thought were a bit tough to read.  However, as its a style your father used (hence you already know how your initials will look in that style), family tradition is as good a reason as any to choose a particular monogram style.  Also thanks for assuring us you will not be putting "Spot's" portrait on the back of your fine Reverso. ;)

No miring of the thread at all...in fact I think you brought attention to a great tradition involving the Reverso.  We spend a lot of time on this site discussing various strap options.  In all honesty, if you pick a strap and you don' like it, your out some $$ but its quick and easy to fix.  Choosing an engraving that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and pass on to future generations, well thats a far more important issue as its not a quick, easy fix if you change your mind later.  So I'm really glad you brought up this topic.  I actually spent a bit of time going through various options on Mr. Randell's site and contemplated what I would do if I made a Reverso my next watch.  The possibilities are impressive! 

yup this is part of the reverso mystique for me. so many people trading watches, getting a new this and selling that. put your initials on a reverso and it becomes more personal and something you likely will not willingly part with for a very long time. As much as Patek drives this point home with its advertisements, the "taking care of it for the next generation" applies very well to a monogram'd reverso.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wanted to clarify.  I actually like the diamond-style monogram, just wanted to make sure you knew what your actual initials look like in that monogram style.  One example the Reverso on yellow strap with initials ARH looked really nice in that monogram.  It was the other set of intials that I thought were a bit tough to read.  However, as its a style your father used (hence you already know how your initials will look in that style), family tradition is as good a reason as any to choose a particular monogram style.  Also thanks for assuring us you will not be putting "Spot's" portrait on the back of your fine Reverso. ;)

No miring of the thread at all...in fact I think you brought attention to a great tradition involving the Reverso.  We spend a lot of time on this site discussing various strap options.  In all honesty, if you pick a strap and you don' like it, your out some $$ but its quick and easy to fix.  Choosing an engraving that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and pass on to future generations, well thats a far more important issue as its not a quick, easy fix if you change your mind later.  So I'm really glad you brought up this topic.  I actually spent a bit of time going through various options on Mr. Randell's site and contemplated what I would do if I made a Reverso my next watch.  The possibilities are impressive! 

Do it. We can be Reverso internet e-buddies. I'll get one if you get one. :nodding:

There is some pretty amazing stuff on that site:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads