• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but it doubt it would increase their profits.

This is why earlier I was saying that there's a tension between success in capitalism and the pursuit of aesthetic ideals. Not that this should surprise anyone.

But what those two companies could do while retaining their profits would be some sort of product differentiation operation whereby they create spin-off brands. I guess Grand Seiko is that, but I don't think the name is really a winner. FWIW, I'd pick something like the name of their first factory, or of their founder, or something like that.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
This is why earlier I was saying that there's a tension between success in capitalism and the pursuit of aesthetic ideals. Not that this should surprise anyone.

But what those two companies could do while retaining their profits would be some sort of product differentiation operation whereby they create spin-off brands. I guess Grand Seiko is that, but I don't think the name is really a winner. FWIW, I'd pick something like the name of their first factory, or of their founder, or something like that.
Seiko has a sub brand. called "Wired". not perfect, but it does allow them to experiment with aesthetic ideas. they could brand all but their best items under this brand.
but, They have been the brand for 100 years. with the mantra. any man. wears a Seiko.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant the Cayman for the reason you pointed out above. To me, it is the epitome of a corporate car. It fills the gap between the Boxster and the 911 in terms of price, and also performance. They very easily could have made the Cayman a monster, but they dialed it back to fit in their marketing mix. Porsche get very few things wrong, but this is one of them in my opinion.

As for the Cayenne, I actually think its a pretty interesting car and it changed how the industry thinks about SUVs. Fair play to them. Now that I think about this, maybe I got it wrong. Maybe the RO/ Nautilus are the Cayenne, and the Odysseus is the Bentley Bentayga.

Hold on to your breakfast:

Image result for 2016 bentley bentayga ugly

Your Cayman statement while correct in terms of corporate saying don't make something to crush 911s, its still quite different than how one often interprets a car or item "Built by corporate." One often thinks, of something where the company cut corners, they built something that purists don't want, or they approve a design that doesn't work. No, a Cayman won't crush a 911 in outright speed, but there is a reason it was considered one the the best sports cars one could buy. I may be biased since we own a 981 Cayman S, but I've owned a few Porsches and I've driven many Porsches from the 80's to present, and its just a fantastic car. I love its looks, how it feels, and how it drives. Personally, I haven't liked the size of 911s, since the 993 went out of production. Ever seen a photo comparison of a 911 from the 80s and a current 911...the current car looks twice its size! In addition, I've driven 997s and 991s and thought they felt ponderous and bloated compared to the more nimble 981s. I think the second generation 991S, which was turbocharged was needed to overcome the way 911s had become more GT cars, and make them feel more like sports cars again (although that is something purists would complain about, the loss of the normally aspirated 911 unless one gets a GT3). In any event, and YMMV, unless one is on a closed circuit I don't actually need nor can I make better use of more power on even my favorite driving roads.

As for the Bentley, well...if you think that is bad you should see what Rolls offers for an SUV. ? I think its even worse, if that is possible.

But neither Seiko nor Citizen have a high design coherence. They make all sorts of ugly watches, in all possible styles. I'm increasingly thinking that there is no modern Rolex. Junghans is fairly coherent but they're not at a comparable level of sophistication. Seiko and Citizen really ought to split off their top end operations and give them different names altogether.

If you want a quartz Rolex, just buy an Oysterquartz and call it a day. Your posts seem to frequently mention Rolex, but you want something none of their other customers want so they don't produce it. It would be like someone on SF saying Brioni doesn't make beautiful high tech bullet proof vests. If there isn't a calling for it, they aren't going to make it. The Oysterquartz was a great watch, but lack luster sales in the late 90's/early 2000s proved their customers were no longer interested.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
863D96A5-31B4-4BCA-B6D9-DF11D8F11F75.jpeg
42A4B9C2-0215-4BF0-A8FE-F543B4271FAE.jpeg
8D622955-250F-414C-839B-26C3ADC9DE42.jpeg

Someone posted wrist shots on the Rolex forum. The watch is starting to grow on me although I’d still rather have an AP Royal Oak jumbo given the price difference.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1268122 View attachment 1268123 View attachment 1268124

Someone posted wrist shots on the Rolex forum. The watch is starting to grow on me although I’d still rather have an AP Royal Oak jumbo given the price difference.

The bracelet seems to be half integrated. The shot on wrist looks odd because the taper is not dramatic enough. The length of the lugs is basically straight out, and then it tapers making the transition odd from lugs to bracelet.

That said, I would like to see a wrist shot of this on a standard leather strap or rubber strap. I think that would look fantastic.

-DL

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your Cayman statement while correct in terms of corporate saying don't make something to crush 911s, its still quite different than how one often interprets a car or item "Built by corporate." One often thinks, of something where the company cut corners, they built something that purists don't want, or they approve a design that doesn't work. No, a Cayman won't crush a 911 in outright speed, but there is a reason it was considered one the the best sports cars one could buy. I may be biased since we own a 981 Cayman S, but I've owned a few Porsches and I've driven many Porsches from the 80's to present, and its just a fantastic car. I love its looks, how it feels, and how it drives. Personally, I haven't liked the size of 911s, since the 993 went out of production. Ever seen a photo comparison of a 911 from the 80s and a current 911...the current car looks twice its size! In addition, I've driven 997s and 991s and thought they felt ponderous and bloated compared to the more nimble 981s. I think the second generation 991S, which was turbocharged was needed to overcome the way 911s had become more GT cars, and make them feel more like sports cars again (although that is something purists would complain about, the loss of the normally aspirated 911 unless one gets a GT3). In any event, and YMMV, unless one is on a closed circuit I don't actually need nor can I make better use of more power on even my favorite driving roads.

As for the Bentley, well...if you think that is bad you should see what Rolls offers for an SUV. ? I think its even worse, if that is possible.
View attachment 1268121

If you want a quartz Rolex, just buy an Oysterquartz and call it a day. Your posts seem to frequently mention Rolex, but you want something none of their other customers want so they don't produce it. It would be like someone on SF saying Brioni doesn't make beautiful high tech bullet proof vests. If there isn't a calling for it, they aren't going to make it. The Oysterquartz was a great watch, but lack luster sales in the late 90's/early 2000s proved their customers were no longer interested.

I literally couldnt bring myself to post a picture of the Rolls... I remember seeing one in the flesh for the first time in Prague and thinking I was in Kentucky and witnessing someone's barn experiment come to life...

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was truly speechless when my team asked me to open my birthday cake at work.
View attachment 1268836 View attachment 1268837

Presuming the watch was part of the birthday gift:

I hope you enjoy your watch, but more importantly understand that most of us work for idiots and wouldnt put a penny in a pot for our boss's Rolex... That says a lot about you and how your team feels about you. Congratulations on being a great leader.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads