• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tag - just looks better plus I’m bored with the anti-Tag snobbery.

I was in a watch shop a couple of years ago and the SA, while he’d proven himself to be very knowledgeable during a few visits there, came out with ‘Tag don’t make watches’.
This, plus, it's super odd to me that the old Heuer Autavias are so popular right now (they are handsome watches) but that modern Tag Heuers are so universally reviled. I mean, some of their watches look atrocious (imo, of course), but some of them, including the Jack Heuer reedition, looked really nice to me.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This, plus, it's super odd to me that the old Heuer Autavias are so popular right now (they are handsome watches) but that modern Tag Heuers are so universally reviled. I mean, some of their watches look atrocious (imo, of course), but some of them, including the Jack Heuer reedition, looked really nice to me.

TAG had a layup--make a faithful re-edition of the Autavia--that it managed to blow by increasing the size from 40mm to 42mm. The bezel is now way too wide compared to the dial. Not to mention that the watch is too thick as a whole.

Compare Zenith's re-edition of its iconic A386 chronograph, which is nearly identical to the vintage one (with a sapphire caseback added). Granted, those watches are only in precious metals and sell for around $20K, but still . . .

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely just you who has no taste.

Your opinion is garbage as your choice of words.

38970a9319da80f89f14444bcfdb09d4.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote would be for the Tag. IMHO, its just a better looking watch, and I like the details on it more, particularly the dial and hands.

I've seen Ball watches in person and was never impressed with them. Furthermore, I don't like the details of this Ball watch. The Lum goes 2/3rds of the way to the center of the dial, I don't like the hands on this watch, almost too dainty for a watch this size, and the silly logo on the tail of the seconds hand. Too me the Ball also looks really generic, take the name off the dial and you can put any brand name on it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D681B872-43BF-4738-948B-5A0298E77521.jpeg
13A71F19-7B5F-4273-9203-9B4C37DBCAEA.jpeg
92C80AF1-D4ED-4B0C-B0F2-1C5ADCA18735.jpeg
816478EC-C0AC-4637-90E1-9F315D893034.jpeg
Lunchtime watch shopping. I liked the Hermès more than I thought I would and the Bvlgari less. Maybe a bias for circular watches? The fit between watch head and bracelet is not as tight as it should be for the Bvlgari.

Lumaca

Reaction score
At a first glance the TAG looked like a seiko 5 to me with the shield lol.

Not a bad thing in itself, but I guess I'd take the Ball just because it's a tiny bit "different". I'd compare the TAG to the Sarb035 which I think is a closer comparison.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate what Bulgari are doing inside the cases, but the form factor is a big ask.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the current mood. You can all get fucked etc.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1151954 View attachment 1151955 View attachment 1151956 View attachment 1151957 Lunchtime watch shopping. I liked the Hermès more than I thought I would and the Bvlgari less. Maybe a bias for circular watches? The fit between watch head and bracelet is not as tight as it should be for the Bvlgari.

I haven't tried an Hermes watch on in some time, but the only thing I like about those, is the shade of blue used for the dial. The rest of the watch...meh.

I've tried the Bvlgari Octo both the ultra thin model and the skeleton, both on straps and I really liked them far more than I ever thought I would. Definitely pieces to buy pre-owned due to their depreciation, but well finished and a nice change from the sea of round watches out there.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
+1 on the blue Slim d'Hermes. Tried it on at Nieman's once and it was pretty much fire.

If you happen to pull the trigger and go Bvlgari, then I would definitely get the bracelet. For me it was a little big / expansive on the wrist, but objectively I like it (for others?) and also appreciate the horological engineering feat that it represents.

I'm anti-chunky in general, with allowance for chronographs or other complications that make it necessary. Really like both of those pieces and thanks for posting pics.

BK_Verbs

Reaction score
Stalking a Submariner.

What is the current thoughts on date vs. no date? Pre-Owned pricing is basically the same.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stalking a Submariner.

What is the current thoughts on date vs. no date? Pre-Owned pricing is basically the same.

Will the watch be your daily wear or part of a rotation? No date is arguably the purest expression of the Submariner, but a lot of people (including me) like a date window during the work week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads