• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm generally super casual and bummy looking, so whenever I'm in a fancy watch store I'm always getting sideeyed until I try on the first watch. **** is predictably sad.

benf

Reaction score
Rolex/ Patek, etc could produce to fill demand, but why would they? If people really want the piece, they are available eventually.

The damage is reputational. That is:
- no one likes paying a big premium to grey dealers
- no one likes having to buy a slow-selling PM Rolex or big complication Patek in order to get a 5711/12
- if I’m willing to pay 25k for a watch, to be told there’s a 5yr waitlist (5711/12)

Was talking to an AD recently and he explained it by saying every brand needs a ‘halo’ product. How this relates to the 5711/Daytona situation, I don’t really get. Also, he recommend to his clients the 50th anniversary Daytona over the SS model and steering them away from 5711/12.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Rolex for the same reasons others have stated, nor am I keen on the nautilus.

Last edited:

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so, thoughts on Basel? I love the new aquanaut chrono. can't afford it, but still love it.

I do think I will end up with the new DBlue though.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The damage is reputational. That is:
- no one likes paying a big premium to grey dealers
- no one likes having to buy a slow-selling PM Rolex or big complication Patek in order to get a 5711/12
- if I’m willing to pay 25k for a watch, to be told there’s a 5yr waitlist (5711/12)

Was talking to an AD recently and he explained it by saying every brand needs a ‘halo’ product. How this relates to the 5711/Daytona situation, I don’t really get. Also, he recommend to his clients the 50th anniversary Daytona over the SS model and steering them away from 5711/12.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Rolex for the same reasons others have stated, nor am I keen on the nautilus.

The damage to reputation you speak of is probably minor. Yes there are folks who hate Rolex or Patek for not offering the watch that they want in larger numbers. However that is probably countered by the fact that there are always people who want something that not everyone has or can easily obtain (that often makes some people want it even more), and the fact that people can buy it, wear it, and still make money on it if they choose to sell it. In addition, while the steel Daytona is one of their most desired watches, its not Rolex's biggest seller, the Datejust is probably the biggest seller. Its less expensive and is more easily affordable to a larger number of people, so Rolex may feel why focus more production on Daytonas.

Again, paying a premium to get a watch faster through a grey dealer or buying another watch you didn't really want to get a Daytona/Nautilus is a personal choice. Some people just sign up for a wait list and wait to be called...that's what I've done in the past, but I know that isn't for everyone and clearly that annoys some people.

Also, the Daytona is still a standard production piece, and if someone waits patiently they can obtain one. Interestingly, no one complains when a company makes 250, 500, or 1000 pieces of a specific watch and calls it a limited edition. When that happens, it generally guarantees not everyone who wants one can get one, and if its a very sought after piece chances are to get on a list you may have to already done business with a shop ( or be one of their better customers) or buy from a gray -and probably for a premium.

I suppose Rolex can't please everyone. On the one hand you get people complaining that there are not enough steel Daytonas and Subs available so they are angry at Rolex, and on the other you get people saying they won't buy a Rolex because everyone has a Sub and they are too common.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, paying a premium to get a watch faster through a grey dealer or buying another watch you didn't really want to get a Daytona/Nautilus is a personal choice. Some people just sign up for a wait list and wait to be called...that's what I've done in the past, but I know that isn't for everyone and clearly that annoys some people.
I wish you could get on a wait list. I have been told to get back to them in the Autumn in order for them to think about putting me on the wait-list for a new Rolex. I am happy to be put on a wait-list and to wait but this seems as if Rolex are pushing the concept of limiting supply too far.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish you could get on a wait list. I have been told to get back to them in the Autumn in order for them to think about putting me on the wait-list for a new Rolex. I am happy to be put on a wait-list and to wait but this seems as if Rolex are pushing the concept of limiting supply too far.
There is a reason for this, too. If you are taking and holding deposits from people to be number 500 on a wait list that, realistically, you are only going to whittle down by a few dozen over the next several years, it starts to smell a little like misrepresentation.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex doesn't set the dealers' policies for who gets watches, so don't be too quick to blame the manufacturer.

Also, there's a limit to the production rate for 4130 movements, and it's been maxed out since the calibre was introduced. Though the demand for steel Daytonæ exceeds the supply, they certainly aren't deliberately limiting the output.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure how many Rolex dealers are in your area. I used to go to various ADs in my region and ask about wait lists. Some would say they are not taking any new names for their list. A few places took my name and didn't require a deposit, one never called me, another called me when one arrived. I was 4th on their list but when they called the people ahead of me didn't have the funds or didn't return their call about the watch. Another place took my name, but required a $500 deposit. I paid it got my name on the list and they eventually called. Not sure if dealers require a deposit in your country, however this one dealer said, by asking for a $500 deposit, it reduced the length of their list. He said, it keeps some would be flippers off the list, as some just want to buy it the day it comes in and flip it the next day, and they don't want someone tying up even $500 for a year or more. Anyway, wishing you luck with getting on a list somewhere.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's commonly said that the Rolex DJ is the most popular selling watch but in out in the wild I can count in one hand how many people I've seen wearing one. I see Sub's way more frequently. Maybe in other countries the DJ is more popular but in my neck of the woods in Texas all I normally see are subs.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
so, thoughts on Basel? I love the new aquanaut chrono. can't afford it, but still love it.

Honestly, i had high hopes as always but it did end up being overall disappointed. What i mean is that i would not purchase any of the watches.

Tudor and Longines had the best line ups in my opinion.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Aquanaut chrono is cool as well as the Rolex root beer GMT's. I'm not really liking the updated Omega SMPc with the bigger case and in your face waves on the dial. I'm normally a big Omega fan but this year didn't really hit the mark for me.

That Kari Voutilainen watch on Hodinkee's grail watches from Basel is my favorite.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's commonly said that the Rolex DJ is the most popular selling watch but in out in the wild I can count in one hand how many people I've seen wearing one. I see Sub's way more frequently. Maybe in other countries the DJ is more popular but in my neck of the woods in Texas all I normally see are subs.

Might just be in your neck of the woods. While I see lots of Subs and GMTs here in New England, I also see lots of Datejusts. In addition, maybe you are just noticing guys' wristwatches. Lots of women own/wear Datejusts.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might just be in your neck of the woods. While I see lots of Subs and GMTs here in New England, I also see lots of Datejusts. In addition, maybe you are just noticing guys' wristwatches. Lots of women own/wear Datejusts.

Most likely this. I don't really pay attention to women's watches since it's not something I plan to buy for myself. Most common watch I see though is Apple.

kimmo

Reaction score
Interesting........so that's the reason you don't own any Rolex or Patek.

Is this like the who won't buy a Ferrari because they're "not practical" but won't admit that price is a factor???

what if I could get you could get the exact Rolex or Patek you wanted tomorrow at MSRP - would you buy it??

Also from an European perspecitive, official dealers marking prices up is something unfathomable. For Ferrari et al it probably is from your legal issue of manufactures not allowed to own dealerships, so it's wild west and being a car enthusiast I've always just shaken my head at the market situation in the US. Hell, buy a 488 GTB in Europe and you might even get a discount plus it depreciates like a normal car.

Never been a major fan on Daytona, but would buy one too for a test drive if it came in a reasonable 2-3 month wait. 5+ years waiting list.. forget it. (Disclaimer: own and have owned other Rolexes).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads