• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need a nephew? You don't even have to buy me a new watch. You can just give me that ole BB36 that's probably sitting in your drawer. :D Seriously though, very thoughtful gift.

Sneaky :rotflmao:

But my BB36 now has a companion:

tudor.jpg

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! I was really close to grabbing one myself just a couple of weeks back. That watch on the Tudor NATO is surely a perfect Summer watch. Enjoy!

Thank you kindly.

I couldn't resist getting the other of two watches that my character The Wraith wears in my upcoming novel. Now I have both :D

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you kindly.

I couldn't resist getting the other of two watches that my character The Wraith wears in my upcoming novel. Now I have both :D

I'd love to get your thoughts on the watch. Do you prefer it to the BB36? Is the case thickness an issue? I'd be curious on how you'd compare it to your Rolex in terms of wrist presence based on it's size, thickness and appearance.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In some ways it's better than my Rolex as the case hugs the wrist a bit better and it does have a bit more heft and wrist presence. Thickness is fine, it's the pre-in house version (as they had this in stock rather than having to wait for the new edition to come in again), but I don't mind a chunky diver. It's also less "noticeable" than the Rolex, but then again, only watch aficionados really notice these things anyway. Really accurate timekeeping as well, over a month in and haven't had to adjust it yet.

The Rolex, on the other hand, has the ceramic bezel and glidelock - both welcome additions. But then, no jutting Rolex logo on the clasp on the Tudor to catch on clothing and the like.

Overall, I'm supremely pleased with the Black Bay. An excellent well priced alternative to the No Date Sub.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can ultra cold weather have any effect on watches? I have recently returned from Finland and had a couple of occasions when my mechanical manual watch stopped.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's never happened to me. Curious where you were, though. The only parts of the country that are cold right now are in the far north.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can ultra cold weather have any effect on watches? I have recently returned from Finland and had a couple of occasions when my mechanical manual watch stopped.

Are you saying they stopped when you were still in Finland and they were exposed to ultra cold weather, or are you saying they have stopped since you returned?

I've heard that some companies such as Rolex and others who make tool watches, have developed and used lubricants that can withstand extreme temperatures. I don't know anyone who has worn a watch in conditions so extreme as to experience a watch stopping. I suppose it also depends if one is wearing a watch (in which case it would get some warmth from its wearer's body temperature) vs being transported in a briefcase or being shipped in a box where a watch's temperature could drop to extreme temps in some places. I suppose if not worn for a period of time and left in a briefcase or shipping box the oils could congeal or even freeze, but I would think upon returning to normal temps the oils would thaw. I don't know if a change from extreme cold would cause any condensation to form in the oil upon thawing...but I would think the watches should still run.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
This would be a good excuse to buy one of those funky Alaska Project Speedmasters :colgate:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying they stopped when you were still in Finland and they were exposed to ultra cold weather, or are you saying they have stopped since you returned?

I've heard that some companies such as Rolex and others who make tool watches, have developed and used lubricants that can withstand extreme temperatures. I don't know anyone who has worn a watch in conditions so extreme as to experience a watch stopping. I suppose it also depends if one is wearing a watch (in which case it would get some warmth from its wearer's body temperature) vs being transported in a briefcase or being shipped in a box where a watch's temperature could drop to extreme temps in some places. I suppose if not worn for a period of time and left in a briefcase or shipping box the oils could congeal or even freeze, but I would think upon returning to normal temps the oils would thaw. I don't know if a change from extreme cold would cause any condensation to form in the oil upon thawing...but I would think the watches should still run.

What you need is a Ball watch with the sub zero degree proof lubricant. Lubricated Ball yes...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think a low quality watch will stop from weather. I've had two $10 HMTs (which use a 1960s hand wind movement licensed from Citizen) stop when it rains in Singapore (and the crystal fogs up).

I've on the other hand taken a decade old Seiko 5 military, never serviced, from -20 to 40 Celsius and 0 to 100% humidity with no problem. It doesn't take much if Seiko can do it for <$50.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incoming as of yesterday... and it's here. So you'll have to excuse my long-winded post and by all means feel free to skip to the crappy picture.

As I've noted before but I'm sure no one remembers, I can jump around a bit in terms of when I get a piece I want. Top of my list may not come first based on availability, timing, etc. So at times I end up getting something unexpected to some degree. Well this one wasn't top of my list, but I felt as though I had to act. That was in June though when I made my down payment, so this has been expected for some months. I received a call yesterday afternoon that the watch was finally ready and so I paid the balance and took delivery today. Today being #SpeedyTuesday is apt though not planned (at least on my part as I'm unsocial when it comes to social media) since my 60th Anniversary Speedmaster arrived.

I'll just share a few thoughts and initial impressions as I barely put it on and likely won't wear it right away until I get the strap I want for it. First thing that struck me was the size. I thought it'd look and wear nearly exactly as my FOIS Speedy does in terms of size. Normally I wouldn't catch that right away, but having worn the FOIS more than usual the last two weeks I noticed it straight off. That for me is a good thing. I think the size is great (note, it doesn't wear nearly as big as the wrist shot suggets). The other immediate standout was the bezel as it's not black. I don't mind the black bezel of the Speedy Pro or my FOIS, but I welcome this brushed aluminum bezel. What also stood out right away was chronograph seconds hand or nearly lack thereof. Yes it's there, but with the late Winter afternoon light you don't see it so much. In fact when comparing it to the FOIS it's also quite unnoticeable, but in this case rather because the 60th's is steel. So why is this important? Well it means that the other hands stand out more, particularly the broad arrow. That is fantastic as I love that broad arrow hand and in the metal it's even better as it's perfectly sized. Back to the FOIS for a second, the other hands don't stand out as much. So an interesting difference. Another thing I noticed was the dial color. It's been "faux-age" if you'd like, or rather a design choice to appear so, and it's noticeable. The dial is more greyish than black. It looks great too. The sub register hands also stand out more so than those on my FOIS. No complaints about the FOIS in this regard (and I still like the asymmetry), but I prefer these hands. Finally the bracelet. As I've said before, I'm much more of a strap guy. This is of course watch dependent (can't see a BLNR on a strap for instance whereas a Pepsi...), but in general I prefer a strap. So I will be putting a strap on this one. That said I still like it on the bracelet. Since I'm comparing to the FOIS, I also noticed the crystal is more domed. Also, the bezel seems smaller it has not edge like the FOIS. Overall while both are Speedys and they are of very similar proportions, the watches look very different.

A couple of other things. The box is nice. I will just store it and the interior doesn't feel as nice, but it looks cool. The exterior looks and feels nice and while I said the interior doesn't feel the best it still looks great. Also has a space for the leather roll that comes with it. The roll is nice enough and comes with a strap changing tool, leather strap and NATO. The leather strap looks fine, but I think it leaves something to be desired (said the same of my FOIS strap). Also, while the watch has some faux-aging design elements that in my opinion were a must considering what this watch is, it still looks like a modern watch.

I've also been thinking of Omega. I got a catalogue or two with the package and this being my second Speedy brought a few things to mind. I think that yes they do make a lot of Speedys and overall they have a ton of different models out there. That said when they get it right they get it right. Omega has done some very nice releases in recent years and I get why there are say Speedy collectors out there. I also understand why some say "you need to own a Speedmaster". What's great is they've done some really nice ones recently. They just need to limit the numbers as they have been for the most part and in this case they should have only made 1957 of them. I'll be looking forward to what Omega brings to the table in the coming years and seeing if they continue down this road.

image1 (14).JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads