• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster FOIS BNIB from a grey dealer with the warranty card stamped from an AD September 2017. I should be getting it Friday. I'm leaning towards buying a bracelet over keeping it on a strap but I'll see when I get it.

+1 on the strap. The strap that comes with it looks and feels a bit cheap, but from whta I saw with someone else's it ages well in terms of looks. I have the Hodinkee aged moss green leather strap. Former Hodinkee editor Arthur Touchot wore his on the aged hunter green strap. I think it looks good on both. I would just be careful of getting too "vintagy" looking a strap because the watch can look a bit more dressed up if you will due to the handset and sapphire crystal. Anyway, it's a fantastic value proposition and one of the best Speedys out there right now. I'll be curious to read your impressions.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a good price on the grey market if I may ask? And is it actually sold out at ADs?
I paid $3600 for BNIB. I searched the therolexforums.com or omegaforums.net to find a grey dealer that had one. You could also try joma but I’ve heard several horror stories which keeps me from trusting them.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
i finally tried on a submariner...worn a skx007....gouged the hardlex crystal...would be like if i did it to a rolex haha.

Welcome to TheWAT. The Seiko divers are fantastic value for sure; I have the Orange Monster, but I still lust after the Submariner. Even though there are millions of them, it's for a reason. The design just endures indefinitely because it's wonderful.

I don't have one. I do have the Oyster Perpetual (116000) that I wear more than any other watch, for everything from business meetings to snorkeling (I usually wear the Seiko for that, but don't always remember!). If you're into the Submariner and you can afford it, I'd just say get it. You will scratch it eventually, but so what? It's your watch, it will get its scars and signs of use over time. What would it be like if you scratched it? The same as your Seiko: initially it would piss you off, then eventually you will either ignore it or repair. Same with any watch (car, bike, sunglasses, whatever).

Worrying about losing that first-day perfection is no reason not to have something fabulous. And after all, a Rolex was always built to be tough. Chances are it will outlast you with a minimum of care - and probably without it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any guesses as to the final hammer price of Paul Newman's Daytona? I think it reaches low eight figures.

kimmo

Reaction score
$9-11 million. I mean, someone will want it, whatever it costs and there's usually two of them in the room.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't go to Hodinkee if you've just had lunch. Your eyes will be met by a horrifying IWC watch that looks like it could have been produced by Victorinox or Kickstarter. What happened to this house?

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 864642
timex marlin, hand wound, apparently a reissue.

IMG_9780.jpg

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go to Hodinkee if you've just had lunch. Your eyes will be met by a horrifying IWC watch that looks like it could have been produced by Victorinox or Kickstarter. What happened to this house?
When I went on Hodinkee today to look at new watches
200w.gif

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quite agree with your sentiment. Of course, with a warning like yours, I had to look it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads