• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
One vote against the PAM. There are wristwatches, and there are watches that have humans attached to them. This is the latter for me.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not considering the Panerai
Just thought it was a cool watch

I may pick up a Tudor black bay as my next watch for when I want to give the Daytona a break
What is the deal with Tudor watches ? I have seen vintage ones bring at auctions as much as Rolex from the same model range. In other words why these cheap, me-too watches are so popular. When they were new they had Rolex cases with cheap, generic movements inside. Now that they are old cheap generic watches why the hell they cost so much? Is this a Houdinky-effect?

kimmo

Reaction score
What is the deal with Tudor watches ? I have seen vintage ones bring at auctions as much as Rolex from the same model range. In other words why these cheap, me-too watches are so popular. When they were new they had Rolex cases with cheap, generic movements inside. Now that they are old cheap generic watches why the hell they cost so much? Is this a Houdinky-effect?

Everything old by Rolex is expensive, so by logical deduction, Tudor (by Rolex) must be at some point. Probably it will be like the 5711 tulip craze at the moment.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First of all, vintage Tudors are rugged, dependable, easy to get parts for, and have some interesting details that separate them from their Rolex siblings. Second, as in most industries, when the items someone wants gets out of their price range they look for alternatives. If vintage Ferraris are going through the roof and then out of some would be buyer's price range, they start buying vintage Maseratis and Astons (prices on those start to go up as demand goes up). With watches, maybe someone wanted a Red Sub or a manual wind 6263 Daytona, but they can't afford one...but they can afford a Tudor Sub "Snow Flake" or a Tudor "Monte Carlo" or Tudor "Big block" chronographs which have similar looks but are a fraction of the price... well eventually prices on those start to go up as nicer ones get snapped up by collectors. Also, in terms of auction prices, you are probably thinking in generic terms a Tudor Sub vs a Rolex Red Sub are not the same, and not priced the same. Yes, you can maybe get a more common, newer Rolex Sub for the same money as a Tudor Sub Snow Flake, but maybe that's not what the would be collector wanted, and a mint condition Snow Flake is probably rarer and more difficult to find than a more recent Sub. In addition, many vintage collector are very specific about what they want, and when the right example comes along they will pay what it takes to get it. Anyway, consider yourself lucky, as you don't seem to like them, so that leaves you with money to buy something else.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
got out work early today and check out ALS, really liked the boutique edition, and definitely wears larger than dimension suggest.

BrR8_ZEXrGOxsnOKAAEPKK3jEfzlMjnwuR3CkShn8HjIb-zyBSBd8ww6m5U-sE3Qg7pSYkN2dyYfPiAnoVb9CQObbxpL1CKkpylfIrarPiSLQu85MP4HhykXb5okrnDTnxHohDT_GgAJLANYh5mznO6Up0aJtmLCoifCSJqoVeSKH0DMyls2HRdTUb_-WoSk9appc17TTv9Aef8xz9yOcWdk6Hvo-j894UTst_zyQCa703p0WyFcDWQhlwK0P1oGWnERp0qb3SguD6i9udw3fBTRAuQo7S4Um4uwP0lDmwriEspHtZngHtNfzulqN_iq5YQp-EFuHUelwkumE0545VwYjnVubQ1suml4l0Na7XbIF0eZoUuXL3nAt33AxWajKmpdnBTriFj7b96uAKStDG_SqE_51h66eyAO-FIskFE44vewNW4FIYhnvmD7q3MuUxM4g2kptHMjWVGDr7uByTJDh_wlaWEXdbvigqV2keq21S1U_kmK5EzlNyAO_g8AlAVkQORhA0h_VnmLGo4UVRdG5HUfz3aVW_FZb7gIfUDQKRUKnF2vFRgR8LyOWfXi6PRW9HSBgBq29xAVJa3quasUTRw5TZv9x12ES_SogiyQhumlkv0nFA=w714-h952-no

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
I was considering changing out the bracelet on my sub for a strap. I wasn't sure how to go about it. I found a video that now has me thinking I may leave well enough alone.

dan'l

Reaction score
Not sure if it's mentioned in the video, but you might want to cover the lugs with tape first, to avoid scratching them when you re-insert the spring bars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads