• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Quite frankly, he reads like a dick.
If we send the mob after every person who expresses a forceful opinion what will there be left? A fellow member's opinion engages only himself. It is possible to disagree in a civil manner, and to be charitable about a member's intentions.

I personally enjoy seeing all views expressed no matter how forcefully as there is always something to be gleaned from another point of view. Any type of censorship beyond obvious spam and abuse simply encourages forums to become devoid of content, as bland as public discussions have become in the era of emotional politics and mudslinging in the public sphere.

For example, I do not wear large metal watches with suits but always strive to understand the mindset of the man who does, and why it makes him happy, because it makes my mind richer to understand his. I enjoyed the story of the BLNR bought with the money made possible by the father's work, I enjoyed the touch of positivity it brought to my day. It is these stories that bind us together as humans. YMMV, IMHO, etc.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was expressing my opinion that he reads like he's a dick. Certainly not GBR level of dickishness, but it's there.

I like reading the stories of others with their watches and seeing their watches even if they're not to my taste. But there are some that like to express their opinion that everything else is a ************* for plebes. It's tedious and I think drives people away.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was expressing my opinion that he reads like he's a dick. Certainly not GBR level of dickishness, but it's there.

I like reading the stories of others with their watches and seeing their watches even if they're not to my taste. But there are some that like to express their opinion that everything else is a ************* for plebes. It's tedious and I think drives people away.

I stopped reading when he self-identified as an aristocrat in the 1% and proceeded to drone on about which watches are acceptable to be passed down. I need to find a picture of a Seiko to post.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could very well have been me in the airport wearing one. It is quite frankly one of the only Omegas that's ever really spoken to me. I got my dad a new ceramic Seamaster for his birthday last year, and I'd much rather have the 2254.50 I have on wrist. Even with the cost of service I still paid more for his than I did for mine (though his was new and mine was post-discontinuation)

O'Hare last Saturday afternoon?

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Throughout TWAT there have been a lot of very forceful opinions about particular watches over the years, who gives a ****. And frankly, I think a lot of good information has come out of those violent disagreements. Maybe we haven't seen much disagreement lately with all the simple pics of "This is my...today." No story, no conversation, just another pic. I'd take the conversation, regardless of the level of dick-a-tude vs page after page of pics with no context or story.

You like what's on your wrist, cool, then don't worry about whatever bias is there and move on, or use the ignore feature. FFS. If you're that concerned about an anti-X bias from someone you'll likely never meet, and who you clearly don't like anyway, maybe you should be worried about other things than their bias.

But, like, hey, that's just my opinion man.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am always interested in the opinions of other people who enjoy watches. I think its fun to hear how a person became interested in watches and what has led to them to make certain purchases. I am sure after spending some time here we all have our favorite contributors to this thread, and then there are those we could do without. I can easily accept a person's preference or dislike of certain brands or models of watches. There are various factors that influence our biases and choices, be it design, price, ruggedness, refinement, exclusivity, resale, etc. Dislike of Rolex or other brands is totally fine here. However, I think there was a level of snobbery bordering disdain for those who do not wear a brand that is acceptable to Mr. T, which made his posts rather unpalatable to me.

When he said."My experience is that we wear our fathers GP; UN; PP; Omega or VC. Rolex and Cartier have always been the purview of a certain type. " I thought, well I guess as a multiple Rolex and Cartier owner, I probably wouldn't be Mr. T's kind of company. However, I wouldn't want to hang out with a person who looks down on others for not wearing a Mr. T approved watch brand.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It's his experience, and frankly, I'm not so sure it's that farfetched to believe someone could have that experience. As far as snobbery or disdain, it's nothing new in the various incarnations of this thread (I'm kind of surprised with how heated some of the very old discussions have gotten about particular watches, and how people usually didn't mince words). You can certainly choose to be bothered by it, in which case, move on or use the ignore feature.
I was kind of interested in seeing some responses to the Rolex movement comments he made in his post from people who are more educated than I am (for instance from you or Belli) in terms of the modularity/ETA spirit despite being in-house.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just gonna say, I have no quibble with Mr T.

Pity the fool who does.

mr_t.jpg

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, I've found people in the thread ( and forum overall) to be generally awesome and pretty helpful. I try to repay the kindness on the odd occasion I get asked questions that have been hashed out several times before.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's his experience, and frankly, I'm not so sure it's that farfetched to believe someone could have that experience. As far as snobbery or disdain, it's nothing new in the various incarnations of this thread (I'm kind of surprised with how heated some of the very old discussions have gotten about particular watches, and how people usually didn't mince words). You can certainly choose to be bothered by it, in which case, move on or use the ignore feature.
I was kind of interested in seeing some responses to the Rolex movement comments he made in his post from people who are more educated than I am (for instance from you or Belli) in terms of the modularity/ETA spirit despite being in-house.

Well sure, having a grandfather/father that left him a UN, or helped nurture his interest in the brand that is his experience, and that is believable. Its definitely a more obscure brand. I've more commonly heard of or met people people who inherited Rolex, Omega, Movados, Cartier, and the occasional Patek. The snobbery or disdain, isn't new, I just don't think it furthered his position.

As his measure of a watch and its horological merit seems largely based on finishing of a movement, there is little to discuss. I think we all agree Rolex does not have the kind of finish that one would find on a Patek, Lange, or Dufour (but then again those are much smaller production companies with a much higher price of entry). I didn't read his ETA reference as a true comparison, beyond is saying Rolex has little more finesse, so I didn't see it as warranting much discussion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads