• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rotation schmotation.

09ZCOLLECT-master1050.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been thinking: Speedmaster on informal strap, Daytona, and Tank. Not a rotation but fitting for every occasion.

I think the Speedmaster and Daytona are redundant. You could just put the Daytona on a strap, which looks great.

rotation schmotation.

I don't necessarily love any of those watches individually, but that has got to be one of the most eccentric/interesting trios I've seen.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not mine haha, but why not wear the collection at once? got two wrists, right?

incidentally i lean towards a one watch, i've collected things before and i think it's a great way of developing/honing personal flavor. but it's always so cathartic to simply make one educated choice and be comfortable with that. the other way of thinking about it is if you sell out of a collection is tantamount to buying what's left. is all good tho.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Sweet....vintage day-date is pretty much fire, although the bracelet stretch is probably pushing it. (edit: hey, could that be considered patina?)

Regardless, whoever owns it, has a very "warm" looking watch.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed! patinated yellow gold is so mellow, with the grey dial too. like dad's leather jacket.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spending the fictional $100K on a small collection would be fun. Wouldn't take me too long LOL.

But back here in the real world-- although I'm not forever-ever ruling out some kind of consolidation-- at this stage of my life and watch enthusiast journey, I am compelled to have more than just a few.

There's probably one or two in the box right now that get such a small amount of wrist time that I wouldn't miss them too bad. Or maybe I should flip them towards that Sub. Or whatever.

But then whenever these pieces do find their way onto my wrist for a couple of days, I'm usually pleased that I still have them.

+1

I find myself in the same boat. I could consolidate, but I just don't see it happening. There are pieces I don't wear for a while, and but then when I do, I enjoy wearing them and I am glad that are still part of my collection.

In addition, there are some pieces that mark special occasions such as a wedding gift, birthday gift, first real job, anniversary gift...so some pieces are never leaving my collection.

atia2

Reaction score
although the bracelet stretch is probably pushing it. (edit: hey, could that be considered patina?)

As it happens, I find a little bracelet stretch to be the most attractive manifestation of ageing in a watch.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
As it happens, I find a little bracelet stretch to be the most attractive manifestation of ageing in a watch.

Yeah, I could see that.

I mean, as long as it's not riding halfway up your forearm, right?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philosophical questions for those of you who reject the idea of a OneWatch(TM): Do you collect watches based on a theme (e.g., Rolex sports models, 1960s chronographs, inexpensive divers) or do you buy what you like? If it is the latter, are you an accumulator rather than a collector?

Winot

Reaction score
Philosophical questions for those of you who reject the idea of a OneWatch(TM): Do you collect watches based on a theme (e.g., Rolex sports models, 1960s chronographs, inexpensive divers) or do you buy what you like? If it is the latter, are you an accumulator rather than a collector?

I buy what I like. Also (and I hate to admit this) I buy because I'm bored/to scratch an itch.

But above all, I wear watches in the context of how I dress, and as I get more obsessive about putting together an outfit, so I get more obsessive about exactly which watch will go best with that outfit. Essentially it is watch as accessory.

Winot

Reaction score
... for example, there really is a great deal of difference between the look of a polar GMT Explorer II, a 1016 Explorer and a Milgauss (the 3 Rolex I own).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads