• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who went to the Patek exhibition in NYC? Holy ****. Awesome experience and incredible showing of good will (and marketing prowess). Tried to take some photos, but they are all terrible. Must hand it to Patek. No other maker could pull off such an event with this level of credibility and success--not even Rolex (mainly due to shorter history and narrower focus).

Yup. And it is a testament to Patek that any photo you try to take - unless you bring professional gear and you have the timepieces outside their super secure glass cases - will suck compared to having seen the real thing. A testament to truly admirable works of art and craftsmanship - no photo can do it justice. You gotta see the real thing.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the Sea-Dweller in for a real good cleaning recently. Thought I'd share this photo from it:

20184245_1930324770518068_5615402283316543488_n.jpg

image credit: horologer

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup. And it is a testament to Patek that any photo you try to take - unless you bring professional gear and you have the timepieces outside their super secure glass cases - will suck compared to having seen the real thing. A testament to truly admirable works of art and craftsmanship - no photo can do it justice. You gotta see the real thing.

The watches were obviously gorgeous, but what surprised me most was the service and hospitality--at a free event nonetheless! There were always staff available to answer questions about the watches or help with directions. Someone always seemed to appear out of nowhere to help get our stroller over any stairs. The watchmakers and craftsmen present were all very happy to geek out. One guy spent 20 minutes with me discussing the merits of the 324 vs. 240 vs. 215 base movment. Lots of little, free concessions for kids: ice cream, balloons, even a plastic build-it-yourself table clock with all the gears, levers, etc.

Absolute first-class service--and the vast majority of the people attending will never buy a Patek. Other businesses could learn or thing or two.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watches were obviously gorgeous, but what surprised me most was the service and hospitality--at a free event nonetheless! There were always staff available to answer questions about the watches or help with directions. Someone always seemed to appear out of nowhere to help get our stroller over any stairs. The watchmakers and craftsmen present were all very happy to geek out. One guy spent 20 minutes with me discussing the merits of the 324 vs. 240 vs. 215 base movment. Lots of little, free concessions for kids: ice cream, balloons, even a plastic build-it-yourself table clock with all the gears, levers, etc.

Absolute first-class service--and the vast majority of the people attending will never buy a Patek. Other businesses could learn or thing or two.

Ah did you visit last Saturday for Family Day? That is super. Hope the kids enjoyed!

tigerpac

Reaction score
It was a really nice event (sans one of the cocktail parties where there was barely anything to drink... could have been cipriani's fault on that, who knows)

I thought they did a great job with the displays. Excellent job displaying their message. And totally agree that other businesses could learn a few things!

As to the finishing discussion, I'll abide by Dufour's conclusions.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When was there ice cream? When I went all I got was bottled water while waiting in line. I told my friend to not open the bottle because it would be a collector's item one day since it had Patek branding on it.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the raised crystal is one of my favourite things about the watch. The difference between the Submariner's is noticeable:

DSC_4550.jpg

Great comparison pics as always Belli. I took measurements for the SubC ND (flush crystal), SD4000 (raised crystal - like Daytona) and the DSSD (domed crystal) a few years back and in terms of thickness (12.5mm versus 15mm versus 17.5mm) and little differences in how the crystal was fashioned - it's amazing how the look and feel differ across all three offerings.

Game of millimeters and details.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that history holds, another will be coming then, given the 116500s are selling for at least 3-4k over list.

Anything is possible. But its is also important to keep in mind.
Took the Sea-Dweller in for a real good cleaning recently. Thought I'd share this photo from it:

20184245_1930324770518068_5615402283316543488_n.jpg

image credit: horologer

As Foo mentioned, that is definitely a rare view. Its hard to appreciate how massive and over engineered the case and crystal are until you see a photo like that. Thanks for sharing!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Comes in real handy when Belli is 4000 ft. below :colgate:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well now you guys make me regret not skipping work...

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best "kid-friendly" marketing I saw at Patek was the Patek temporary watch tattoos. Hook 'em young and get them used to wearing and wanting a Patek.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads