• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are you 80? 43mm is the starting point of men's watch sizing. this is known.

fantasy watch complication: a perpetual tidal calendar. no idear what this would even look like but it would be sweet.

43mm is the starting point? Heck no. Can't stand stupid looking jumbo watches. No thanks, not for me.

New red SD is cool at 43mm.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
One of my favorite Pateks, especially when the dial is monochromatic (5960-016P, 5960 Russian limited edition, 5960R-10, 5960R-011.) I like the look more than the perpetual calendar chronographs, actually, even though that is blasphemy. The three aperture windows for the calendar and the monocounter for the chronograph is just so clean and pure. It's a modern classic. And I don't even have a thing for chronographs usually.
Yes, the monochromatic dials do look good. I was asking as I saw two rather nice examples on Chrono24: platinum for $52kUSD; Rose for $54k USD. They look like very competitive prices. However, I guess what I was asking, would not a single solid complication in a more traditional model be a better purchase - it seems gimmicky? Not sure I can extend to the 3970 at this time.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the monochromatic dials do look good. I was asking as I saw two rather nice examples on Chrono24: platinum for $52kUSD; Rose for $54k USD. They look like very competitive prices. However, I guess what I was asking, would not a single solid complication in a more traditional model be a better purchase - it seems gimmicky? Not sure I can extend to the 3970 at this time.

At this price range, I think you really, really have to love the watch for what it is. I do get the impression that it is not considered as classic as the 3940, 3970, or the 5170. You could almost say it's undervalued, if that's appropriate for a watch this expensive.But it's impossible to say if this will change. In five years, there might be a Hodinkee article about how the 5960 is one of Patek's "hidden bargains", and then prices will go through the roof.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
At this price range, I think you really, really have to love the watch for what it is. I do get the impression that it is not considered as classic as the 3940, 3970, or the 5170. You could almost say it's undervalued, if that's appropriate for a watch this expensive.But it's impossible to say if this will change. In five years, there might be a Hodinkee article about how the 5960 is one of Patek's "hidden bargains", and then prices will go through the roof.
Very true.
I will look into them, I know there are some very solid PP watches to be had for around that price. I do prefer the more classic Pateks. There are also a couple of Daniel Roth beauties I have my eyes on and will see in person next month (when in the states). A much undervalued brand.

benf

Reaction score
My main issue with PP is the artificially limiting of the SS models, the Nautilus and Aquanaut. I'm not going to jump into the brand spending $40k+ on a first PP watch. I'd rather get a 5711 and then work my up instead of working my way down.
I've read that as recently as 3 years ago, availablity of the nautilus wasn't an issue with a few months wait at most. So this's a relatively recent development.

The Acqanaut is much easier to find.

benf

Reaction score
For that price, you may wish to consider a 3940P-a true classic. End of the day, buy the piece that gives you the biggest :)

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
For that price, you may wish to consider a 3940P-a true classic. End of the day, buy the piece that gives you the biggest :)
The 3940 is definitely a contender, as is the 130. It's a question of how much can I extend myself! Of course, the dream is a 5004.
As was inadvertently suggested, do I go for the next modern classic. My track record with that is less than good...
Daniel Roth is still tweaking my interest. The value for money can not be ignored. I very much regret my GP pieces, familiar influence is at the heart of those. I doubt that pattern would be repeated with DR, now. Looking forward to my stateside trip.

Thanks all for input.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that my choices from many many years ago still have their fans here in SF. 3940P today.

IMG_2824.JPG

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: DO NOT GO DOWN THE FOO RABBIT HOLE

I know, I know! I've given others the same advice before - I should listen to myself!

The 3940 is definitely a contender, as is the 130. It's a question of how much can I extend myself! Of course, the dream is a 5004.

Hmmm... should I buy a watch, or a house?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
43mm is the starting point of men's watch sizing. this is known.
43mm is the starting point? Heck no.

I had originally read that as a joke! :confused2:

The 3940 is definitely a contender...the dream is a 5004..
3940P today.
Hmmm... should I buy a watch, or a house?

3940P might be the most perfect PP in my humble opinion. Totally understated, yet stands up to the most scrupulous examination of its details. And from about fifty grand used, it's a huge buy but certainly middle ground between a normal watch and a house! I can't imagine it ever being worth less, either. What a beauty.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read that as recently as 3 years ago, availablity of the nautilus wasn't an issue with a few months wait at most. So this's a relatively recent development.

The Acqanaut is much easier to find.

There has never been the same demand for the Aquanaut as there has been in recent years for the Nautilus. So the Aquanauts have always been easier to obtain.

I haven't looked at Pateks in a while. However, a few years ago when people were talking about the scarcity of the Nautilus 5712/a and 5711, I visited Las Vegas and between the various Patek dealers there was one of every model of Nautilus available for sale. That may have changed, as mentioned, I haven't looked at Pateks in a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads