• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received the new Rolex Daytona as an early wedding gift from my fiancee
I had to do the legwork and find it ... she wrote the check
It's my first Rolex ... but hopefully not the last

View attachment 815269

That's a generous fiance you have! My wife offered to buy me a watch as a wedding gift but I said, "No, thank you" and have regretted it since then. I wonder if that offer still stands 10 years later?

Winot

Reaction score
Foo, I think that you are picking a false argument here. Perhaps I've missed something but, as Mimo points out, the criticism of PP stems more from using Arial font on dials, from poor dial design, from putting a smaller movement into a larger case and so on, rather than from the PP's finishing of its movements. In fact, I can't remember anyone in this thread criticising PP for the finishing of its movements...

Warning: DO NOT GO DOWN THE FOO RABBIT HOLE

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a generous fiance you have! My wife offered to buy me a watch as a wedding gift but I said, "No, thank you" and have regretted it since then. I wonder if that offer still stands 10 years later?
Well, I did get her one heck of an engagement ring ...

It can't hurt to ask, can it?
Good luck

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received the new Rolex Daytona as an early wedding gift from my fiancee
I had to do the legwork and find it ... she wrote the check
It's my first Rolex ... but hopefully not the last

View attachment 815269

Congrats on your engagement (and your pending marriage) and of course on the watch!!! My wife got me an Explorer II as a wedding gift, and there are lots of memories attached to that watch. Wishing you many years of happiness with the watch and your future bride!

Lets talk watches. I'm game if you all are.

Been reading old discussion threads across the internet relating to finishing and consequently feel the urge to slam face through wall. I am now certain that Philippe Dufour is an evil Swiss troll beset on the internet watch enthusiast comunity to spread odoriferous, hysteric, myopia. Kudos to the practicioner of the dark arts who can hand-chamfer the most flawless bevels over the most challenging inward angles. But you know what? Patek and the like do the same **** pretty good too. Not god-level good, but good enough to be enviable. Does Lange do even a little better? Maybe the bevels are sharper and the stripes are even more clearly define. But then you are stuck looking at a 3/4 plate most of the time. Where the **** is the fun of that? Germans.

Point is, it is blatant forum groupthink that targets Patek for bashing. I think they do more right than wrong, and when they are right, they put out some of the most sublime watches ever made.

Now, you may not like Patek for a bunch of other reasons which could be perfectly valid. But come one--finishng is "not good" anymore? This is like rejecting a world renowned tailor because his pick stitch is nice enough but you've seen even better.

Watchmakers have to make compromises with limited time and resources. For example, FP Journe follows a calculated strategy of de-emphazing finishing in order to invest more in movement design and development--which, by the way, happens to fall in-line with an older watchmaker you may have heard of by the name of Breguet. Breguet watches are, rightfully, some of the most revered of all time--and yet the finishing is meh at best. The man was after innovation more than anything else.

The nice thing about a big shop like Patek or Lange is that they have so many resources to bear. They may not ever reach Dufour levels of finishing, buy they manage to be pretty damned good along all measures.

I think if you're critiquing a Patek because the finishing of its movement is not quite as fine as a Lange under 10x magnification, the cheese has fallen off your cracker and you've stopped loving watches the way they deserve. Like women. We may want to stare only at their **** and then compare to other nicer **** we saw elsewhere, but then you get no ****, and ultimately no beautiful woman. It's okay to like ****, but remember the rest counts too.

People have talked about Lange having better finishing than most Pateks for many years, so that's nothing new. Yes, Dufour and some independents produce movements with finishing we will never see on most offerings from Patek, AP, or VC. However, those have never really been factors in my feelings about Patek. Overall its a great brand, its movements are still well finished, and knowing that a Lange or a Dufour has nicer finishing than most other brands doesn't diminish the enjoyment I get from wearing "Lesser watches" from companies like VC, AP, Rolex, and Cartier...so it wouldn't affect the enjoyment I would have from wearing a Patek.

For me the main issue has been that most of Patek's designs just don't speak to me. I find many are just too stodgy. I often feel like a many of their designs are for someone 15+ years older than however old I am at the time. Who knows, maybe I'm just not mature enough to own one ;) The few that I really do like are often too far beyond my budget to seriously consider.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main issue with PP is the artificially limiting of the SS models, the Nautilus and Aquanaut. I'm not going to jump into the brand spending $40k+ on a first PP watch. I'd rather get a 5711 and then work my up instead of working my way down.

JohnAndrew

Reaction score
From a couple days ago.

lRWfJlE.jpg
Great looking Tudor!

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the main issue has been that most of Patek's designs just don't speak to me. I find many are just too stodgy. I often feel like a many of their designs are for someone 15+ years older than however old I am at the time. Who knows, maybe I'm just not mature enough to own one ;) The few that I really do like are often too far beyond my budget to seriously consider.

Patek's stodginess is part of its appeal to me, at least in their Calatrava line. In fact, I don't think they're stodgy enough. I'd love to have a 5296, which would be a perfect dress watch... if it were 35mm. If Patek released a watch that was identical to the 570, I'd be all over it. These are personal opinions, of course.

In regards to their complications, I do agree that in a lot of cases that design-wise they're not as solid as they were. The 3940 is just flat-out better than any of their current three-dial PCs. Smaller, more elegant, richer font... The 5320 has the excellent PC layout of the 3448 (my personal favorite) with apertures for month and day, subdial for date, but it's a mess in comparison. Why not reissue a modern 3448? It's hard to improve on perfection. The 5905 doesn't compare to the 5960. And so on.

As for finishing, I think PP is just as nice as anyone else, but I'm not going over my one Patek with high-powered loupes so maybe I'm not being critical enough.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... if it were 35mm.

what are you 80? 43mm is the starting point of men's watch sizing. this is known.

fantasy watch complication: a perpetual tidal calendar. no idear what this would even look like but it would be sweet.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Point of interest: what is the collective wisdom on the 5960?
Could you direct me to a reputable comparative study (simply with any considered compition) or reputable unbiased review. Find the latter very difficult to find.

Regards.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point of interest: what is the collective wisdom on the 5960?
Could you direct me to a reputable comparative study (simply with any considered compition) or reputable unbiased review. Find the latter very difficult to find.

Regards.

One of my favorite Pateks, especially when the dial is monochromatic (5960-016P, 5960 Russian limited edition, 5960R-10, 5960R-011.) I like the look more than the perpetual calendar chronographs, actually, even though that is blasphemy. The three aperture windows for the calendar and the monocounter for the chronograph is just so clean and pure. It's a modern classic. And I don't even have a thing for chronographs usually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads