• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
Have just placed myself on a waiting list for the AP RO in steel with blue dial (37mm). I actually prefer the 39mm, but as a technical person, the lack of seconds-hand I find unpalatable and the 41mm is just too large. I have always been a fan of the PG version, but found it too flashy, however, now I am older it may be more acceptable [subjective].
Is gold too flashy in your eyes? I ask quite seriously - my heart is with the steel, but the PG is so readily available and would cut a 2 (maybe 3) year wait. Oh, yes, the price is also a concern.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
^^interesting assertion that you shouldn't expect appreciation in watch prices. I have a 14802 that I got for a song about 15 years ago. Back to your original question, the AP gold is nice, although in application I think it works better in the ROO. Not everyone's cup of tea.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the APRO in solid gold. One of my buddies has the 4100, which is smaller in size and makes the bling a lot less in your face and more subtle

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poking my head in here for a bit. Patek's "The Art of Watches" / Grand Exhibition in NYC (Cipriani's 42nd St) is really quite a production. I got to view the exhibition yesterday, and it's not even the fact that most of the currently produced references are on display (including ALL the Grand Complications, along with the Grandmaster Chime). It's the fact that you get to interact with Patek's watchmakers, including specialized designers like their expert in marquetry and enamel dial rendering.

When I visited, their enamel expert was rendering Michelangelo's Doni Tondo onto a watch dial. Incredible stuff.

There is also a virtual reality section where you can put together - virtually of course - various movements. I "put together" one for a minute repeater.

If you are in the NYC area, it is open to the public from July 13-23. Definitely worth a visit.

http://www.patek.com/en/communication/news/the-art-of-watches-grand-exhibition-new-york-2017

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm visiting some friends in NYC this weekend. I'm definitely going to the Patek exhibition.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just placed myself on a waiting list for the AP RO in steel with blue dial (37mm). I actually prefer the 39mm, but as a technical person, the lack of seconds-hand I find unpalatable and the 41mm is just too large. I have always been a fan of the PG version, but found it too flashy, however, now I am older it may be more acceptable [subjective].
Is gold too flashy in your eyes? I ask quite seriously - my heart is with the steel, but the PG is so readily available and would cut a 2 (maybe 3) year wait. Oh, yes, the price is also a concern.

I like the RO in all gold, but I'd only get it on a bracelet. I don't care for the gold ones on straps. That being said, I think their blue dials look a lot better with the steel case and bracelet, (besides the original ROs were steel). Something to note, they use different blue colors for the various models (so if you looked at a 15202 it will be a different color than that of the 15300 or 15400. I do not know if the color on the 15450 is lighter or darker than the others mentioned.

I generally, I like a seconds hand with a sports watch. However, I really like the simplicity of the 2 hands on the 15202, and the use of what is basically the movement that was used in the original ROs of 1972. In addition, the 15202's movement is truly special and its the one time only RO made in the same department as their grand complications.

Just be sure you try on a 37mm RO to make sure you like it at that size. Many years ago I had an old RO that was 36mm and it always felt a tad small. Anyway, if the 37 fits your needs and size requirements, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Cheers!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas they do not allow "professional photos" so this is the best that the little iPhone could do given lighting conditions:

IMG_2764.JPG

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
^^interesting assertion that you shouldn't expect appreciation in watch prices. I have a 14802 that I got for a song about 15 years ago. Back to your original question, the AP gold is nice, although in application I think it works better in the ROO. Not everyone's cup of tea.
My experience is that it is rare for watch prices to appreciate, that may be as I have a couple of GPs, bad choice for a collection - if solely looking at monetary value.

Mr Tewkesbury

Reaction score
IMG_2724.JPG
I like the RO in all gold, but I'd only get it on a bracelet. I don't care for the gold ones on straps. That being said, I think their blue dials look a lot better with the steel case and bracelet, (besides the original ROs were steel). Something to note, they use different blue colors for the various models (so if you looked at a 15202 it will be a different color than that of the 15300 or 15400. I do not know if the color on the 15450 is lighter or darker than the others mentioned.

I generally, I like a seconds hand with a sports watch. However, I really like the simplicity of the 2 hands on the 15202, and the use of what is basically the movement that was used in the original ROs of 1972. In addition, the 15202's movement is truly special and its the one time only RO made in the same department as their grand complications.

Just be sure you try on a 37mm RO to make sure you like it at that size. Many years ago I had an old RO that was 36mm and it always felt a tad small. Anyway, if the 37 fits your needs and size requirements, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Cheers!
Agree with regard to the simplicity of the ultra slim (was it JLC 320?) and relative elegance, however, the waiting list for that watch is longer and boutique only.
The 37 mm is more portional for my wrist, i tried it on in-store before committing to the size.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 812970
Agree with regard to the simplicity of the ultra slim (was it JLC 320?) and relative elegance, however, the waiting list for that watch is longer and boutique only.
The 37 mm is more portional for my wrist, i tried it on in-store before committing to the size.

Good memory, you were very close... it was JLC 920, which interestingly was never used in a JLC, and is the only base movement ever to be used by AP, VC, and PP.

Glad to see that you tried the 37mm RO on before committing to it. Based on the photo, I agree, its a very good size for your wrist. I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment. I've had my RO for nearly 5 years, and I love it. Thankfully, I don't have to be 1 watch kind of guy, but if I had to have just 1 watch for everything, my RO would be it. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads