• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL @ your use of spoiler. That was cold.

I guess this is yet another excellent example of why it's always best to see it on the wrist before pulling the trigger. Pics can steer you wrong at times.

Suppose you can keep saving for the 1815!

Always true, my recent web-love for the Speedmaster 311.32.40.30.01.001 and Seamaster 233.30.41.21.01.001 was dashed when I tried them on.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually have a rule against buying white precious metals since it basically looks like steel. With that being said, the WG Oysterflex Daytona is spectacular. On the other hand, I would still take a Nautilus with the blue dial over the options you listed. Congrats on earning the finders fee, looking forward to hearing what you end up with. Have fun!

I tend to prefer white precious metals because they only impress me, the wearer. I'm certainly not against yellow gold, though I would be apprehensive about considering a YG Rolex of any kind. I'm still surprised how much I'm taken by the yachtmaster everose.

For a sports watch, nautilus 5711/5712 blue dial.

I suppose you're right, the 5711 would be the obvious choice. Though I don't know what hoops he'd have to jump through to source one. Or are they easy enough to find?

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listed my Tudor black bay on eBay. First gen burgundy with Tudor rose logo dial.I really love looking at it. But just don't get enough wrist time. Worn it possibly 4/5 times in last 9 months.
Time to let it go?

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go Lange One or Platinum Day Date. Actually I'd take cash before either of those but if it has to be a watch in one of those price ranges.

roomiller

Reaction score
Listed my Tudor black bay on eBay. First gen burgundy with Tudor rose logo dial.I really love looking at it. But just don't get enough wrist time. Worn it possibly 4/5 times in last 9 months.
Time to let it go?

Think you've already answered that, but I agree with you. Watches aren't for looking at, they're for wearing. That dial is nicer than the in house version, but I don't buy that it'll appreciate in any significant way. No sense in having $2-3k sitting around when it can be better used for a different watch, wine, or a couple good dinners.

And if they do start going for 5 figures in a couple of years, you can come give me a good, hard slap for my **** advice.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah if you've lost that lovin' feelin' then it's definitely time to let it go and don't look back.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
@md2010 if you're not sure, you could let it sit on my wrist for a while and see how it looks. If I had a spare 2k this month I'd make it a more permanent arrangement, but I'm happy to lend my wrist space for experimentation free of charge.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you're right, the 5711 would be the obvious choice. Though I don't know what hoops he'd have to jump through to source one. Or are they easy enough to find?

Patek really limits how many of these are produced and from what I've heard it's only getting worse.

Getting one new through an authorized dealer means a waiting list of about two years, according to Wempe NYC and other people I've spoken to.

You can pick one up today from Chrono24 (or 47th street if you're in New York City) but you're looking at paying 7-10K over list price.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2 AD's in Houston said there's no chance of getting a blue 5711 as a first Patek from them. You'd have to buy other pieces from them first. They're not even taking new names for a wait list.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg
The 5711 is worth the wait though. ;)

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I need different spring bar tools to remove leather straps and metal bracelets? Or is it one tool for both? (Forgive my ignorance.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads