• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said, Dino. :D

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a bracelet on the left? If so, do you not find that they scratch each other?

Yes that is a bracelet. It likely will cause for minor scratches on the Sea dweller and vise versa, but the SD was purchased recently as my ultimate modern beater. So to be frank, I don't care if it gets minor scratches. The whole reason I bought it is because I wanted a watch that could take a beating and that I could wear without really caring what happens to it. Something I am not able to do with any of my vintage pieces.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_6855.JPG
IMG_6798.JPG
What are your guys thoughts about one-watch collections? I have been trying to get a "one watch collection" for ages, but it is near impossible to get just one that tick all your boxes. So far i have considered, Omega Aqua Terra, Omega 2254, Oris Aquis and currently the IWC mark xvi. Most are in the dress hybrid genre.

One watch has to be a date just of some sort. Classic design, dressy & sporty at the same time. 100m water resistant, beautiful bracelet. You can't go wrong with it.
I am in a process of reducing my collection to two pieces. Just a date just 2 and gmt 2. I will have to admit; my first Rolex purchased from an AD was the DJii. I looked at the watch, held in my hand and fallen in love with it. Even to this date I think DJii is the best looking thing(to me at least). I encourage you to visit a Rolex AD and see what you really love. Rather than internet people tell you what you should buy.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
One-watchers are like flat-earthers.

It's madness.

MADNESS, I say!

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm currently in one watch mode with my Pepsi.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My one watch would be WG or RG day date.....fluted bezel, black dial, roman markers.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently a one watcher with a Rolex Explorer 1 14270.

But...

its because we got robbed and were under-insured. Womp womp... :brick:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently a one watcher with a Rolex Explorer 1 14270.

But...

its because we got robbed and were under-insured. Womp womp... :brick:

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear that. I know that happened to another forum member several years ago. If any of them were Rolex watches be sure to contact a Rolex service center and report them as stolen and provide serial numbers. My understanding is if the watches come in for service at some point they will confiscate them and contact you. The same may be true of Cartier...but I'm not positive. Anyway, I suppose its a good reminder to people to make sure that they have the correct amount of insurance on all of their watches.

Wishing you luck building up that collection again. :cheers:

roomiller

Reaction score
My understanding is if the watches come in for service at some point they will confiscate them and contact you.

I find this reassuring, but it also leaves me curious. What happens if I've spent several thousand dollars on a second hand watch, send it in for servicing, and then Rolex discovers that its stolen? Am I sol? It doesnt seem legal for them to simply confiscate the watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find this reassuring, but it also leaves me curious. What happens if I've spent several thousand dollars on a second hand watch, send it in for servicing, and then Rolex discovers that its stolen? Am I sol? It doesnt seem legal for them to simply confiscate the watch.

Hopefully, if you are buying a pre-owned watch you have done your homework and you are buying from a reputable place or a person you really trust. We had a case where someone bought an antique car from our client's relative, who did not actually own the car (the seller forged some paperwork). Our client was the rightful owner, and our client sued the buyer, got the car back, and the guy who bought the stolen property had to sue the person who sold him the car. So be sure to do your homework and buy from a reputable place or someone you really trust, before parting with your hard earned cash. As for Rolex, I don't know the process they go through, but why should they return stolen property to the person who is not the rightful owner? I don't know the laws where you live, but unfortunately you are the owner of stolen property...and I would think you would need to go after the seller of the stolen property to get reimbursed (if you can)...at least that's how things work where I live.

roomiller

Reaction score
Absolutely understand that. I should have phrased my question a little better - I was more curious around statute of limitations. A Rolex can go a good 10+ years in between trips to RSC. Even longer if its serviced by another watchmaker. That is plenty of time for a stolen Rolex to be laundered(for lack of a better term) and wind up in the hands of a trusted reseller.

I guess I'm just trying to tease out the edge cases here(as a software engineer I can't help it), and this is more of a discussion about "fairness" than it is about watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely understand that. I should have phrased my question a little better - I was more curious around statute of limitations. A Rolex can go a good 10+ years in between trips to RSC. Even longer if its serviced by another watchmaker. That is plenty of time for a stolen Rolex to be laundered(for lack of a better term) and wind up in the hands of a trusted reseller.

I guess I'm just trying to tease out the edge cases here(as a software engineer I can't help it), and this is more of a discussion about "fairness" than it is about watches.

Issues such as statute of limitations and the laws themselves can vary from state to state. I would not even begin to hazard a guess was to when it would be safe for you to buy a watch of questionable provenance. While I'm not sure a stolen modern Submariner or Seamaster qualify as art (outside of watch forums), perhaps a rare Paul Newman Rolex Daytona could be viewed that way...or at least it could be argued that it is like art. As you may be aware there here have been cases where museums seek and sue to retrieve stolen artwork many years after the pieces were stolen. Perhaps this article involving NY law and stolen art will be of interest to you. http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/news/spencer/spencers-art-law-journal-2-3-12.asp

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a few-less watcher after ditching a number of Rolex at Watch Club today ahead of a looming move from London to San Francisco. Didn't intend on part exchanging but they had a nice 3919J just back from Patek service and it's my wife's birthday next week so she's getting a watch out of the blue. ;)

Put a browny/burgundy croc strap on it -- similar to the one shown but with finer stitching -- that has a nice sheen and makes the yellow gold hobnailing pop. Should put me in good odor for a little while!
58513599828506.jpg;w=1600;quality=90.jpeg

585131003113705.jpg;w=1600;quality=90.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads