• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please help with replacement strap for SARB033 (hope it's ok to post here).
Which one looks best, quality not withstanding:

Hadley Roma java lizard grained leather strap:
View attachment 794355

View attachment 794356

Signature A.P. buffalo grained leather strap:
View attachment 794358 View attachment 794357

Fluco shell cordovan flat leather strap (non contrasting stitching):
View attachment 794361

View attachment 794362

All opinions welcome.
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 794359

View attachment 794360

Hadley Roma java lizard grained leather Looks best

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of my watches in my collection, all 2 of them, are on bracelets but if I were to get a strap, I'd go with gatorskin.

IGotId

Reaction score
Welcome to the Jaeger-Lecoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon, White Gold Boutique Edition Ref Q1363540, which does not appear to have been photographed in detail or reviewed out on the interwebs yet. I tried this on in Geneva two weekends ago, and it just clicked. I had to have it. Though I did buy it gray market (always nice to save $5 grand).

I was drawn to this watch for a multitude of reasons, especially:
  • I've always loved the elegant design of the Master Ultra Thin series, with the Moonphase being my favorite.
  • JLC's heritage as the "watchmaker to watchmakers" suits me. Not so uppity as some maisons d'horlogerie, but having brought about many of the advancements that enabled their greatness.
  • My only dress watch would have to be a precious metal, but white gold doesn't announce itself so loudly
  • The silvery-grayness of it will match any strap color
  • Not so sporty as a black dial. Not so formal as a white. Will dress down.
  • The complications are minimized but give a bit of a wink to an otherwise formal layout.
Some quick and dirty iPhone pics.

View attachment 793668 View attachment 793669

It is worth mentioning that the color of the dial and brightness of the metal seems impossible to capture with my iPhone camera. But the way it catches the light, and the oh-so-subtle gray sunburst effect on the dial, is just magnificent.

Beautiful watch, congrats!

LAluck5

Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on the Rolex Milgauss Z-Blue?

Rolex-Milgauss-Blue-Dial-61.jpg

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ ok for me. It was hard to get hold of when it came out. Now available at almost ADs. Saw one even at T3 Heathrow. I prefer the DJ2 or Dj41.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a fan personally. I certainly wouldnt spend Rolex money on something with an aesthetic that unique, but thats why they make different models to appeal to different buyers.

LAluck5

Reaction score
Still a favorite. Disclaimer: am an engineer.
Yea it was actually the first Rolex I ever tried on. Went with the GMT instead but now I kind of want one again although I should really get something a bit more dressy.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still a favorite. Disclaimer: am an engineer.
Agreed; it's one of the better blue-dialled options out there. I do think it would be nice to have a brushed finish on the lug tops and the centre links, though. I'd love to combine its crystal, dial and handset with that new "Air-King" impostor's case and bracelet. :)

kimmo

Reaction score
Agreed; it's one of the better blue-dialled options out there. I do think it would be nice to have a brushed finish on the lug tops and the centre links, though. I'd love to combine its crystal, dial and handset with that new "Air-King" impostor's case and bracelet. :)

Only gripe yes, it's a bit shiny. Part of the charm but for a daily driver, you better not have any OCD about hairline scratches on the center links. Mine's still pretty mint, though.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the dial, but haaaaate the seconds hand, how thick it is and how it wears.

This may be hard to believe, but I swear this is true.

I've been looking for a vintage chrono and am a complete newbie to that arena. Aside from being aware that pre-moon Speedies and all variants of vintage Daytona commanded top dollar, I knew basically nil about what was 'hot'.

I spent some time earlier this week image searching and came across the original Heuer Carreras, like the 2447s. I was floored, just gorgeous pieces. I actually thought, oh this is Heuer, the Monaco/Autavia gets all the attention. I bet I can find a good original one for a few grand.

Needless to say, what a shock to see what that market has done in recent years. It's it's from the 60s/70s, and a sport model from a name manufacturer, it is likely stratospheric to buy a good example of one nowadays.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like Rolex watches and own several, but its just not a watch that appeals to me. Its not a bad design, but its not a piece that I've ever had a desire to own. I tend to prefer darker shades of blue for watch dials, and I don't like the little orange 5, 10, 15 etc...I find it just adds clutter to the dial. I also wish it had a brushed finish for the lugs. However, those are just small issues I have with the design, and more importantly if its a piece that really puts a smile on your face, you should go for it!

LAluck5

Reaction score
I like Rolex watches and own several, but its just not a watch that appeals to me. Its not a bad design, but its not a piece that I've ever had a desire to own. I tend to prefer darker shades of blue for watch dials, and I don't like the little orange 5, 10, 15 etc...I find it just adds clutter to the dial. I also wish it had a brushed finish for the lugs. However, those are just small issues I have with the design, and more importantly if its a piece that really puts a smile on your face, you should go for it!
Yea I just don't know if it's better to go for another SS or a leather more dressy watch to go along with my GMT.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a vintage chrono and am a complete newbie to that arena. Aside from being aware that pre-moon Speedies and all variants of vintage Daytona commanded top dollar, I knew basically nil about what was 'hot'.

I spent some time earlier this week image searching and came across the original Heuer Carreras, like the 2447s. I was floored, just gorgeous pieces. I actually thought, oh this is Heuer, the Monaco/Autavia gets all the attention. I bet I can find a good original one for a few grand.

Needless to say, what a shock to see what that market has done in recent years. It's it's from the 60s/70s, and a sport model from a name manufacturer, it is likely stratospheric to buy a good example of one nowadays.
I've been following the vintage sports chronograph market for awhile. You're right, it is the Wild West out there. Models that no one cared about a few years ago (e.g., Universal Geneve "Nina Rindt", Heuer Carrera/Autavia) are now going for five figures. Fratello Watches had a good series on the state of the market:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-vintage-market-summer-2015-the-chronographs/
https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-vintage-market-is-dead-long-live-the-vintage-market/
https://www.fratellowatches.com/vintage-market-update-winter-2016/
https://www.fratellowatches.com/market-update-crazy-vintage-chronographs/
https://www.fratellowatches.com/vintage-watch-market-update-autumn-2016/
https://www.fratellowatches.com/vintage-watch-market-update-dec-2016/

I think your best bet is to look for watches from smaller names (I really like Yema, and the Enicar market seems to be cooling down) and watches from the transitional period of the late 60s to early 70s before the cases started taking on the bulky, and ugly to my eye, C-shape. As far as models go, I think the Heuer Camaro and early Zenith El Primero models are still undervalued. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads