• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have no statistical information to back up my prejudice. My view, based purely on forum anecdote and the like, is that Sea-Gull and BWC movements are not as good as even cheap Japanese movements. They are both made in the tens of millions, and often in the same country, but the Japanese companies' quality control and industrial standards are superior. Therefore, a Sea-Gull movement is less trustworthy than the cheapest Seiko or Miyota movement. When you combine massive numbers with tiny margins and weak controls, you get lower quality. Add in more complications, and the problem gets worse. Therefore, I would expect a Sea-Gull chrono to not only be less well-made than a Seiko, but less reliable also than a simple time-only Sea-Gull.

But, don't let me compromise my status as Chief Enabling Officer. *******, it's really pretty and it's less than half a grand, you'll at least get a year's warranty from the maker I would have thought, and any life beyond that is probably a bonus considering what else you'll probably buy this year. So I'm not exactly saying "don't buy it". Maybe I am saying that for even less, you could buy the actual retro-vintage-re-make Sea-Gull chronograph, and if that falls to bits next year, it matters even less. But each to his own. Kop on, my friend!

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. May I humbly join the thread with my first Panerai.

Classic base 44 steel manual. :)

You can see my late90s TAG two tone Professional with its face down in shame in the background lol. (I'll still wear it weekends). For years I said "forget the watch collection thing..too dangerou$" but finally caved. This brings my collection to merely 2/2. :p dangerous indeed! ;)

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are apparently (cf discussions of Perpetual Watch on the other forum that starts with W, for example) different grades of the same Seagull/BWAF movements, with the top grades achieving Japanese level of reliability and appearing in more expensive brands as a result, and the lower grades ending up in the various $100 "homages" we know and love (which is why they're a gamble).

This mirrors a lot of other manufacturing in China where you can get different grades of the same product, from the genuine thing to the "failed QC, but let's sell it in Guangzhou" to the "sort of imitates the colours within 10%". And this is not exclusive to China: I read in a history of LVMH or Hermes that they had different grades of products depending on whether the customer was American (most tolerant), Japanese (least tolerant) or French (similar to Japanese but could be convinced to keep an imperfect product) with the output of the factory being split accordingly.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just need the Seagull to be more reliable than the Chinese tourbillon I bought off eBay many years ago. :lol:

Yin Yang

Reaction score
... I realize I am a serial monogamist collector so I don't like to rotate between watches. I just like to wear my favorite constantly until a new watch finally supplants the old favorite so amassing several watches at one time is pointless for me. However over time as I learn through experience what I truly like AND will wear, it has become nearly impossible to usurp my favorite since I know prior to purchase whether I am likely to make the switch.

This is well-stated Soletrane. I like the term "serial monogamist collector." I think I lean that way, as well.

Adding something that's equally awesome but perhaps more subtle/dressy will make you happier than five cheaper watches in a drawer. I would recommend the standard men's Oyster Perpetual (as I always do!) The absence of the date/magnifier makes it very low-key, unlike the equivalent Datejust that can be spotted from a hundred yards. It's just a tough as a Sub, but it's a stealthy number with a suit sleeve or when you don't want to look like you're waving your crown-logo'd manhood around.

I like the MUT Moon too (I feel the black dial has more character but each to his own), and I love the Nomos Orion. But neither will hold their value as well as another Rolex. Then again, for $5k-ish, a mint used Oyster Perpetual or perhaps Explorer and an Orion are within easy reach. Of course that takes you to three watches again, but this is TWAT...

You echoed my thoughts there, mimo. The watches in the drawer are not adding any value/happiness to me any more. I suppose that means that they should go. I still appreciate them all for the reasons I bought them at the time, but I think I'd be happier with a smaller collection of higher quality pieces. BTW - i like your OP, and appreciate the recommendation. It's on my short list.

I personally prefer a smaller collection. I don't like a watch of a certain value (say over $500) sitting around and not making it on to my wrist.

Maybe post the list of watches you are thinking of selling and mention the number of times you have worn each watch in the last month? I think concrete details would enable members to give better advice.
Below is a picture of my modest collection. Most of them are not worth $500 today, though they may have been that much when I purchased them.
Keepers in the picture below: the gold tissot (wedding gift), the g-shock (gotta have one), the sub (obviously!)
Could be sold - in order of expected value: The IWC Portofino ($2-3k), the gold tissot chrono ($1-1.5k - it's 18k gold, not plated), the steel tissot chrono ($2-300), the rest are less than $200 and probably not worth selling.

I haven't worn any of these in the last 6 months. I put on a black suit the other day, which normally would have made me reach for the IWC, but I already had the sub on, and it looked great. I tried to switch to the IWC, but immediately went back to the sub. That's when I realized it might be time to liquidate.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Took the 5711 on holiday in Portugal. Such a comfortable daily wearer and no problems in the pool.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega speedy pro vs IWC pilot choreograph - petit prince ; which would you buy? I really love the Iwc , even though the speedy is an icon
1f615.png

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey fellaz.

Put the ole bracelet back on for spring/summer. Almost forgot how much I love it.

b1f9f710ad0e280c39fc04c032a92ba0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads