• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is always good to see TWAT brothers in person. Caught up with Din0944 last week over lunch. Guess what color this Daytona is?

693dae4aad22d4ad2863a4c8c4611c20.jpg

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I believe that is a gold gold Daytona with gold gold bezel and gold gold hands and markers.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revo has quite a few Basel videos on their site which are incredibly frustrating to watch. Frustrating because its obvious that Revo has tier 1 access, but their staff have zero on screen experience. Wei Koh interrupts every single person with "Yeah/ Yes" and mindless commentary (oftentimes not letting Marc Hayek complete a sentence), and Sumit strives to be overtly eloquent but just comes across as nervous and unprepared.

Say what you will about Hodinkee, but they're far better on camera than the competition (though I do enjoy the casual, on the hop, vibe of ABTW's Vlogs).

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinions on the new steel / white gold Sky Dweller? I think both the black and blue dial versions look sharp, and are "well-priced" for a annual calendar / dual time comp from Rolex.

One concern is on the fluted bezel which comes across in pics as being very showy. Does that bezel dull over time to something a bit more modest?

I think it's the best looking Sky Dweller yet, which isn't saying much. ;)

Would take the blue 41mm Datejust all day long in preference. The baton markers are still too fat but the larger dial ameliorates that to an extent and the sunray effect is something else.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Revo has quite a few Basel videos on their site which are incredibly frustrating to watch. Frustrating because its obvious that Revo has tier 1 access, but their staff have zero on screen experience. Wei Koh interrupts every single person with "Yeah/ Yes" and mindless commentary (oftentimes not letting Marc Hayek complete a sentence), and Sumit strives to be overtly eloquent but just comes across as nervous and unprepared.

Say what you will about Hodinkee, but they're far better on camera than the competition (though I do enjoy the casual, on the hop, vibe of ABTW's Vlogs).

LOL. Two minutes into his interview with Biver, while Biver is answering the first question, he said "yes" at least ten times. If you had a "watch geek" party you could watch a Revo video and drink every time he says "yes" and the party would be over in five minutes. On top of that, while Ben Clymer at times can look... well let's say like he's losing concentration during some of Hodinkee's videos, this guy is looking all over the place.

I love Hodinkee's coverage. ABTW's vlogs don't do it for me, but James Stacey genuinely seems a nice guy in my experience.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think the bezel makes it stand out less because it's not obviously identifiable as a Rolex to an average onlooker.

Not keen on the glossy blue dial though: I reckon that would project as much more "showy" than the bezel.

Any watch with a cyclops is, IMO, a bit of a giveaway that it's a Rolex- to the average onlooker at least. Obviously other brands do use a cyclops but it's definitely associated with Rolex. I would say the same thing, to a lesser degree, about the fluted bezel.

Between that dial, the PCLs, and bezel, that would definitely fall into the category of 'showy' watch IMO. The SkyDweller is also top heavy and wears weirdly to me. I have never been a fan at all personally.

I am glad to see Rolex take some of the ridiculous bloat out of the DJ 2/41... aside from that I didn't like anything they did this year, in fact I would say they had an atrocious showing. It was really nice to see Rolex Passion Report basically ******** all over them (on Instagram at least) for their recent offerings, few seem to be willing to do that. In the past 5 years, I've really liked the Daytona-C and BLNR- and in both those instances they were basically existing watches with new bezels. I am well aware of their history/snail's pace of change but jesus, there's just not much there at all right now.

Still vastly prefer that to something like Omega, who brought ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY new pieces to Basel.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions on the new steel / white gold Sky Dweller? I think both the black and blue dial versions look sharp, and are "well-priced" for a annual calendar / dual time comp from Rolex.

One concern is on the fluted bezel which comes across in pics as being very showy. Does that bezel dull over time to something a bit more modest?
I think it looks good on you. I also think over time as it rubs against things (especially since its white gold), it will get fine hairline scratches (even from things like cotton dress shirt cuffs) and it will develop a bit of a patina when will tone down the finish a bit. Still I think it looks great with the blue dial. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I believe that is a gold gold Daytona with gold gold bezel and gold gold hands and markers.
I think he was referring to the color of the metal as he was a bit surprised that its yellow and not rose gold. They actually weren't making rose back then, but overtime and with exposure to water it has oxidized and looks a bit more like rose than yellow.

It is always good to see TWAT brothers in person. Caught up with Din0944 last week over lunch. Guess what color this Daytona is?
Yes, it was fantastic meeting for lunch and catching up with you. Mrs Dino and I had a great time We look forward to catching up the next time we are in town.
The Daytona looks great on you...maybe one of these days you will have to pull the trigger on a gold one..."Sending subliminal enabling messages to you
decisions.gif
. Have a great day!
cheers.gif

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:I think it looks good on you. I also think over time as it rubs against things (especially since its white gold), it will get fine hairline scratches (even from things like cotton dress shirt cuffs) and it will develop a bit of a patina when will tone down the finish a bit. Still I think it looks great with the blue dial. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote:I think he was referring to the color of the metal as he was a bit surprised that its yellow and not rose gold. They actually weren't making rose back then, but overtime and with exposure to water it has oxidized and looks a bit more like rose than yellow.

Quote:Yes, it was fantastic meeting for lunch and catching up with you. Mrs Dino and I had a great time We look forward to catching up the next time we are in town.
The Daytona looks great on you...maybe one of these days you will have to pull the trigger on a gold one..."Sending subliminal enabling messages to you
decisions.gif
. Have a great day!
cheers.gif
Hahaha you so bad! But so good too! En route to some other city today - on the wrist, a masterpiece, recently discontinued.
9265d6a14c920c7691ed64b2e69503f4.jpg

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm way late to the game re: the new Sea Dweller, but it's an interesting release to me. I figured I'd either love it and be annoyed that I just bought the 116600, or hate it and be ecstatic that I got in when I did. What I didn't expect was to feel both simultaneously! At 43mm, it's simply a non-starter for me - I find the outgoing 40mm to be my perfect size. I'm also against the cyclops, but not due to any allegiance to the cyclops-free history of the SD; I simply don't care for them, especially on an already-thick watch.

That being said, love the red writing and the new movement, and (while I'll withhold final judgement until I see one in person) it looks like Rolex may have avoided some of the growing pains that have come about when upsizing other models in the past. The increase in bracelet width is especially welcome.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha you so bad! But so good too!

En route to some other city today - on the wrist, a masterpiece, recently discontinued.

9265d6a14c920c7691ed64b2e69503f4.jpg

Looks great! I just traded my SubC 116610LN for the SD 116600. I'll have it in hand tomorrow - can't wait!

I'm way late to the game re: the new Sea Dweller, but it's an interesting release to me. I figured I'd either love it and be annoyed that I just bought the 116600, or hate it and be ecstatic that I got in when I did. What I didn't expect was to feel both simultaneously! At 43mm, it's simply a non-starter for me - I find the outgoing 40mm to be my perfect size. I'm also against the cyclops, but not due to any allegiance to the cyclops-free history of the SD; I simply don't care for them, especially on an already-thick watch.

That being said, love the red writing and the new movement, and (while I'll withhold final judgement until I see one in person) it looks like Rolex may have avoided some of the growing pains that have come about when upsizing other models in the past. The increase in bracelet width is especially welcome.

The 43mm size is also a non-starter for me. I also don't like the red font, but that's just a personal preference in that I don't really like the color red period. In addition to being at 40mm with thinner lugs than the Subs, I also like the fact that the 116600 has no cyclops. Again, this is all personal preference though as I know many love the bigger size and red font.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks great! I just traded my SubC 116610LN for the SD 116600. I'll have it in hand tomorrow - can't wait!

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does wear big for a 43mm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads