• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

namdaemun

Reaction score
Quick update:

Went to the ROlex dealership and .... NO 116500 Daytona's anywhere or available within a 2 year frame. Well, he did say if I decided to buy over $100K worth of items then they could "possibly" accommodate. He said I'll be paying at least a 5-7K mark up.

He also said 116520's are flying off the shelf and that I would also pay 1-3k mark up as well. I'm not sure what to do now.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're gonna get hit with that kind of markup on a 116500 and willing to pay then you might as well buy it online somewhere and avoid the $100k worth of extra purchases. The only Daytonas I can see being discounted are the precious metals versions.

namdaemun

Reaction score
If you're gonna get hit with that kind of markup on a 116500 and willing to pay then you might as well buy it online somewhere and avoid the $100k worth of extra purchases. The only Daytonas I can see being discounted are the precious metals versions.

Oh, sorry I should've clarified. I am definitely not okay with paying a 5k markup. I understand that it can be perceived as an investment and that the appreciation would eventually "catch up" to the marked up amount but ... I might either wait to buy in a year or two (ugh) or find a different watch

I'm also afraid to purchase online

Last edited:

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys - how's the watch shopping scene in Heathrow these days, anything great I should check out (eg rolex shop with no wait lists?) and can I negotiate discounts there or is it pretty fixed price? Passing through so just seeing if it's worth walking around. Thanks.

FlyGuy

Reaction score

Oh, sorry I should've clarified. I am definitely not okay with paying a 5k markup.  I understand that it can be perceived as an investment and that the appreciation would eventually "catch up" to the marked up amount but ... I might either wait to buy in a year or two (ugh) or find a different watch

I'm also afraid to purchase online

Always buy the seller, not the watch when dealing with unfamiliar people or businesses.

My advice to you is start calling random ADs and maybe you will get lucky to find one in stock that they will sell you over phone. When you speak to them, mention that you are looking to develop a relationship for future purchases - hopefully you are so don't end up back in this spot when a new SD4k anny comes out, or a Coke GMT, or whatever else is popular. Now if you find it but they still won't sell it to you but you really want it, throw in $1000 -$2500 kicker (especially because you might save tax anyways so could be almost net neutral). My max total was $15k since I personally think that amount is par value. Also, for whatever reason, the white dial seems to be harder to find depending on location ... Does not apply in Eastern Europe or Asia, easier to find white dials from my scouting.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score

Always buy the seller, not the watch when dealing with unfamiliar people or businesses.
My advice to you is start calling random ADs and maybe you will get lucky to find one in stock that they will sell you over phone. When you speak to them, mention that you are looking to develop a relationship for future purposes - hopefully you are so don't end up back in this spot when a new SD4k anny comes out, or a Coke GMT, or whatever else is popular. Now if you find it but they still won't sell it to you but you really want it, throw in $1000 -$2500 kicker (especially because you might save tax anyways so could be almost net neutral. My max total was $15k since I personally think that amount is par value. Also, for whatever reason, the white dial seems to be harder to find depending on location ... Does not apply in Eastern Europe or Asia, easier to find white dials from my scouting.

That is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the advice. So you're saying you were able to find the 116500
For $15k? That is my budget too. I just want to see and touch the watch but nowhere in San Francisco has the watch =\

FlyGuy

Reaction score
I bought it MSRP but due to exchange rates changing faster than MSRP adjustment, was just shy of $15k, but I wanted this f-er since the move from cal 4030 to 4130 so was just happy to have it and not wait any longer.

The best deal right now is in UK followed by somewhere on the Euro because of f(x) and VAT refund, assuming you are paying in USD.
I heard a story when I was in London about someone getting a black dial for around $10k since MSRP is like 9500 GBP minus VAT 11% refund plus $250 US US declaration (if you declare, and you should).

But honestly, if you intend to keep it for ever, the price per wear between 12,600 USD (MSRP with no tax) and plus tax (should you find in state) or a kicker, is minimal so whatever...

Pick up the phone, and spend the next 4 hours calling random AD places (whilst drinking if it helps) and maybe you will get lucky!!

Last edited:

ebayhtl

Reaction score

The best deal right now is in UK followed by somewhere on the Euro because of f(x) and VAT refund, assuming you are paying in USD.

In London for a day - any recommendation for rolex ADs? I think the search for SS Daytona is futile but happy to call people up.
Also anyone been to Heathrow rolex lately?
Thanks.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In London for a day - any recommendation for rolex ADs? I think the search for SS Daytona is futile but happy to call people up.
Also anyone been to Heathrow rolex lately?
Thanks.

London has a big Rolex boutique in Knightsbridge which you may want to visit if you are after a Rolex.. The store is opposite Harvey Nichols store. knightsbridge is the best station if you are taking the tube. Hope you enjoy.

FlyGuy

Reaction score
Head towards / in Burlington Arcade - lots of stores there, great selection of vintage
There is a Rolex AD in Mayfair.

But London is a difficult place to find sports watches - BLNR, DeepSea Cameron, Daytona..

And just raised MSRP 10% from my understanding to compensate for GBP devaluation.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burlington Arcade is for looking, not buying — unless you enjoy incinerating your money.

And I prefer looking at watches that are less likely to be assembled from randomly-sourced parts. ;)

Some pretty exotic stuff at the spots down the road on New Bond Street, though!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick update:

Went to the ROlex dealership and .... NO 116500 Daytona's anywhere or available within a 2 year frame. Well, he did say if I decided to buy over $100K worth of items then they could "possibly" accommodate. He said I'll be paying at least a 5-7K mark up.
Completely ridiculous...although, as I mentioned before I've never found allocations or prices to be good in the big cities.

Perhaps do some traveling and get on some wait lists at smaller stores outside of SF. That has always worked for me. I've never paid over list price. I was once tempted to pay over list price for a very hard to get watch, but after finding the watch at a different AD at MSRP 6 months later, I was so glad I didn't cave in and get ripped off.

atia2

Reaction score

Burlington Arcade is for looking, not buying — unless you enjoy incinerating your money.

And I prefer looking at watches that are less likely to be assembled from randomly-sourced parts. ;)

I have always found the shops in Burlington Arcade to be expensive - used pieces for close to new money - but I didn't know they had this reputation!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads