• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I meant Audemars Piguet (of what my friend recommended)

The Royal Oak is a beautiful watch, and you can find it in stock today. There are a couple of considerations, though: first, the current model is a lot bigger than the Daytona. They're both recognisable, but the RO is a real statement. In this size, it realy isn't subtle at all. Second, every watch will get scratched and dinged, even if they cost 12-15 grand. The RO will show it a lot more, and it's harder to put right.

Get the one you love. I would find it hard to choose between them, maybe the RO because I already have more subtle watches that I like, so I'd go for the bigger dick-wave just for the hell of it. But if you want one watch to rule them all, from the supermarket to the boardroom, I think the Daytona might bear up to the job a little better.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For any of you who live in Sydney - given the AUD being relatively low against the USD, are there any watch bargains I should look out for while here? Just wanted to be a watch pricing geek while here.
I know I am never going to get a Daytona around here...

No.

Australia is where luxury goods go to die.

mildundklar

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps blasphemy to admit around these parts, but (barring a few exceptions) I've never been a huge Daytona guy. Or much of a gold watch guy. The ceramic Daytona has made me do a complete 180. An acquaintance recently picked one up in rose gold. It is absolutely stunning.

Not his pic, but this model:

IGotId

Reaction score
I like the way the syringe hands don't overlap the hour markers. For some reason, which I would struggle to elucidate, I find it clumsy when the sword hands do that. But no doubt they are both beautiful watches. I was very disappointed to miss out on a mint US version in a recent auction.

I'm curious to know what the Reverso sold for?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps blasphemy to admit around these parts, but (barring a few exceptions) I've never been a huge Daytona guy. Or much of a gold watch guy. The ceramic Daytona has made me do a complete 180. An acquaintance recently picked one up in rose gold. It is absolutely stunning.

Not his pic, but this model:

Not a gold fan either but when I saw this exact watch that made me turn into a fan

The Royal Oak is a beautiful watch, and you can find it in stock today.  There are a couple of considerations, though: first, the current model is a lot bigger than the Daytona.  They're both recognisable, but the RO is a real statement.  In this size, it realy isn't subtle at all.  Second, every watch will get scratched and dinged, even if they cost 12-15 grand.  The RO will show it a lot more, and it's harder to put right.  

Get the one you love.  I would find it hard to choose between them, maybe the RO because I already have more subtle watches that I like, so I'd go for the bigger dick-wave just for the hell of it.  But if you want one watch to rule them all, from the supermarket to the boardroom, I think the Daytona might bear up to the job a little better.

LOL @ the dick-wave comment. I looked at the RO and it's definitely in consideration. It was definitely bigger than the 40mm Daytona so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input

Good luck on the Daytona. Not to be a downer but it might be a few months before you get it.

Months is fine. Year is not. Haha

atia2

Reaction score

I'm curious to know what the Reverso sold for?

Sure, it went for GBP 5k and I would have had to pay 20% sales tax to get it into the UK. Not crazy, but I hadn't inspected the piece physically so I wanted a little more headroom on the deal. Regret it a little now, but I got a lovely Shadow GT for half the money instead.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know if AP sells the 15300 blue dial? (I do prefer the white but would like to have the option to swap to blue at service).
I believe the answer is no. A lot of companies don't like extra parts out there for the public to potentially sell on ebay (counterfeiters love to buy them and use a few real parts to make fakes look more authentic).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each their own, as much as I love the RO (recent convert) being discussed here, I think it's too 'delicate' as a do-it-all. Not in size/looks but in being scratch prone and just flat out too nice of a watch to wear but so casually. PCLs and all I think the ceramic Daytona is a much better 1-watch collection piece than a RO.

This is why you will soon see that you can't stop at 1. If I were you I'd leave while you can or you can kiss a lot of future $$$$ goodbye as I have :D

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Roger Federer had what looked to be a Batman GMT on his wrist for the post Austrailian Open presser. While I would actually prefer the original GMT myself, it occurred to me that his watch case must be truly and offensively obscene...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hodinkee had a couple of articles about which watches the players were wearing. Roger had the batman GMT, Nadal had a Richard Mille, and Serena had on an AP.

I think Nadal and Serena actually wore their watches while playing. Roger put his on after winning.

Last edited:

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Roger Federer had what looked to be a Batman GMT on his wrist for the post Austrailian Open presser. While I would actually prefer the original GMT myself, it occurred to me that his watch case must be truly and offensively obscene...

Rolex has been lighting up social media with GMT references, lends some credence to the rumor of a SS Coke model coming at Baselworld.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads